Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowdsurfings - who dunnit?

Options
  • 28-08-2002 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've done it, have you dunnit? Where, when and was it worth it?

Crowdsurfing - who's dunnit? 21 votes

Yep, any chance I get
    0% 0 votes
    Nope, but ticketmaster said I can't on their tickets, boo hoo!!
    52% 11 votes
    I'm too fat to lift more than 3 inches so forget about it
    9% 2 votes
    Never done, but have boosted a few people up
    38% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

placebo, sfx.......foo fighters sfx.....smashing pumpkins sfx....
    the strokes olympia....machine head ambassador.

yes it f**cjin rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Sfx seemed to be pretty surfer-friendly then.
    They're not so bad in the Ambassador too IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yep done it. Altho the first few times was before it was called 'Crowd Surfing' and it was called 'Desperatly roll away from the stage while the crowd roll you towards the psychotic bouncer'.

Having not been to a metal gig in a long time, im interested, Does noone stagedive anymore?

Over-zealous Bouncers who take their job too seriously make life for a budding stage-diver like myself very difficult. I've been to that area in between the stage and the floor where the bouncers rule (no-mans land) but I had a meaty hand on my shoulder at the time so couldn't risk it in case I got a hiding (which would probably be an understatement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Ahh the sweet heady days of stagediving. I still have a strange chip of something floating around on the back of my pelvis after a stagedive that went slightly awry at a Megadeth gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Was that the one at the olympic ballroom?
    I still have a piece of the chandelier that was ripped down at that gig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i'm one of the more aggressive types in the crowd compared to most girls, and i really enjoy a good moshpit. the downside being because im female, some assholes think me crowdsurfing above them is an invitation for them to grope me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Does noone stagedive anymore?

He he, you're showing your age, Dusty :) (yeah, I remember that too. My cousin stagedived at a Chumbawamba gig in Bristol about 9 years ago and broke his nose!)

Seraphina, it must really suck when that happens. Despite me being embroiled in a row with Whitewashman on the "....misogyny" thread on Personal Issues, it does piss me off when I hear about that. I mean, for men and women in the pit, I think its fair dibs on a dead arm or bruising or whatever for both...I mean, you would be expecting as much from being in the pit anyway. But those cheesy kunts that grope women, if I ever seen a guy doing that I'd fcuking nut him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

it can also be pretty painful too. the worst thing is that you cant see who did it, so you cant find them and smack them about for doing it!

• Advertisement

Yeah, maybe if you had some mates with you, they might be able to catch the perp though. All that really came into the light though after some girls were raped in the crowd at some aussie gig a few years back. Seems to be rife now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

my first real gig is in november the fourth in the point dublin, papa roach, me da will be there so i wont be able too :'(:'(:'(

Should be plenty of opportunities for a surf though, Super. Just ask yer Da to give you a lift to 'see the band' and when he does, grab a handfull of a moshers shoulder and launch yourself. I think I'll go to that gig too, I seen Papa Roach at the Ozzfest in the UK last year and they fooking ruled. The crowd was even moshing when no music was playing, singers a bit of a character too!!!
    If you've heard the new album, there's a song called S.I.D. that will be a moshers dream come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

hmmmm...

been crowd surfin a few times...its all good til ya get to the bouncer at the front who has no gold teeth and a million tatoos of him beating up lil kids and then they grab yer arm behind yer back and push it up as far as it will go without breaking...but being a man of previous disloacted shoulder (left) and previous broken collar bone (right) which ever arm they do it to i'm ****ed...

but it is seriously good fun!!!

and boo to them pervy ****s!!!

was considering the papa roach gig...if its gonna be as good as you say then i'll head along...

for some odd reason one of the most crowd surfy gigs i ever saw was the dandy warhols at witnness...how strange...even one of the bouncers was surfing around....he came right out from the front and went a good long way before going to ground...

Yeah, a lot of surfing happens at those indie gigs, I've noticed too. MTV2 did a history of the moshpit programme a while ago, but all the metallers were well pi$$ed at the indie types surfing and moshing and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

hang on, the metallers were pissed off with the indie kids for surfing/moshing - why exactly?

There's a good book on moshpit culture by Joe Ambrose (I think it might actually be called "Moshpit") - worth checking out, or at least reading bits of in a shop (like I did - sorry Joe!)

These 2 options should be in the poll:
    1) Used to mosh like a motherf ucker but I'm too old now
    2) Stopped stagediving/ crowdsurfing when I broke a limb/ got knocked unconscious etc.

Combination of the above for me.

From what I gathered from the programme, and partially in my own opinion, Moshing started out of Hardcore punk and then evolved over time to Metal. It was always deemed to be an extreme way of 'dancing' if thats what you could call it. Its not that metallers or punks have dibs on moshing, its just that its tradition belongs there, with heavy music, in the underground music styles. I mean, at the end of that programme, it showed kids moshing to the likes of Blues Traveller and Blink 182. WTF? From personal experience, and I don't know how many of you would agree, I don't feel comfortable on a dancefloor, but in a moshpit I have a sort of calm over me (despite the punches, kicks, elbows, headbutts etc.). I feel much more comfortable there, listening to heavy music and being among like-minded people. But then, if you think about people moshing to the Dandy Warhols and the likes, it sort of detracts from what I like about moshing. It defeats its purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

stage dived to ratm about 10 years ago in the tivoli
    crowd surfed many times at pantera when they supported megadeth, also about 10 years ago. oh, and many other concerts.

far to old and sensible.
    go to gigs to enjoy the music and show, not to have a fight that any arséhole can engage in after the pub if they feel like

Thats the weird thing, I've seen very very few genuine fights go on in or after a moshpit. The whole physical element involved seems to be an accepted part of it. Ok, there are exceptions, there will ALWAYS be some geezer or geezerette there looking for a fight (and generally getting one) but I think its a rarity.
    Been to Slayer, Fear Factory, Devin Townsend, 2 Ozzfests and some more after that, and can count the amount of serious bust-ups on one hand. And also, there is less of a drug element too which can't be bad?

Originally posted by Hobnail Monkey
    But then, if you think about people moshing to the Dandy Warhols and the likes, it sort of detracts from what I like about moshing. It defeats its purpose.

there wasnt any moshing at the dandy warhols...just the ole jumping up and down...

what i said was that there was lots of crowd surfing...an extraordinary amount...

i see what ya mean there when ya say ya feel more at home in a mosh than on a dance floor...they're really friendly places...i've had great 'in between song' conversations in moshes and any time someone goes down there are about 10 ppl with an outstretched arm trying to get them off the ground...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I had a funny moment like that at last years Ozzfest. Hed(pe) were playing and they started their song 'Bartender' which is just such a cool song for an open-air gig. So I started singing the quiet ballady bit at the beginning;
    "ain't nothin' workin
    ain't nothin' right
    there's a hole in me that I can't fill
    No matter how hard I try"
    And I look around and there was a row of guys beside me all singing it too, with big $hit eating grins on their faces. And then the mosh started, and it was just a great release. I tend to feel more of a kindred spirit in a pit though, you're right Kurdt, people are more friendly there because they are all on the same page as it were.
    And its always funny to compare bruises with a complete stranger when a band finishes up :D

i was at leeds at the weekend and then slipknot up in belfast (dont hurt me angelwhore)...and last night i was bored before i fell asleep so i counted me bruised...i got to over 40 and then gave up...my whole ankle is yellow/purple/blue...

But as long as you had a good time...
    :p

...oohhhh very good time!!!! esp seeing GNR no matter what the lineup was!!!

though lets not go off topic...

there was so much crowdsurfing in leeds...i've never seen such mayhem than during slipknot at leeds...i've seen more dangerous moshes but i've never seen something on this scale....so many ppl...

tonnes a surfers too...some a them start taking their shoes off and holding them coz there was a wave of 'lets rob the surfers shoes' syndrome...very funny...lots a shoes flying around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Best stage diving ever...Biohazard/Dog Eat Dog/Downset in the Tivoli back in 94. Absolutely manic. There was so many times that there was more people on stage than on the floor!

Best crowd-surfing was Sepultura, Brixton 96. Best bouncers I ever came across.

yeh, i wish i could regognize all unse at the roach gig. no i dont have there new album, but i have got infest which is great if a little rappy. i remember crowdsurfing at school once for a laugh with 5 of my frends, at the bottom of stairs on the last year of first year. it was well funny. i dont wanna get hurt in the moshpit. im quite tall but weak as ****e!

extremely sorry too doubble post but before i forget, heres some groovy links =

would you believe it! a world order of moshing!
    http://www.angelfire.com/oh/moshingworldorder/history.htm

beginners guide to the moshpit -
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Subcultures/Punk/

o yeh another funny story, one time at my friends house (well, me bumming stays in kilrea) we wer over talkin to monky out the back of the buthers wer he works. out back is like a square with all the buisness entrances an stuff, and a car pulled up with *get this* britney spears blasting out, i mean BLASTING out. so we did our duty. we had a wild mosh!!!!!!! the looks from the mother and 9 year old daughter and passing kev's was funny as hell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Originally posted by Kurdt

and any time someone goes down there are about 10 ppl with an outstretched arm trying to get them off the ground...

Yeah but you get times when some fat bastard is lying on top of you and people are trying to lift you up without lifting THEM off first.

I'm convinced my arms are several inches longer than they are meant to be as a result of this.

LOL true...for some reason i have a vision of a monkey moshing away!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by Seraphina
    i'm one of the more aggressive types in the crowd compared to most girls, and i really enjoy a good moshpit. the downside being because im female, some assholes think me crowdsurfing above them is an invitation for them to grope me.

What?... you mean it isn't? :)

Anyway yeh any chance I get, I'm only a small fella so I tend to get a really good surf

Advertisement