Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dsl router static IP

Options
  • 28-08-2002 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I posted before and got a working solution for the enhanced eircom dsl via port mapping.

Still, because I have to do another 5 sites I am wondering does anybody has it working on the enhanced dsl so a router is connected to the dsl line and there are servers on the router via the lan that can be accessed from the outside via the static IP addresses given from eircom.

I was using a DLink 504 router before but couldnt get it working.

I dont want to get it working via portforwarding because I need some software installed that is not working on a port.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Would you not just consider using a VPN connection in from the other sites to the main network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

If you are trying to use some sort of remote control software such as vnc to remotely use a internal machine, then just install vnc on each of the machines behind the router. Then just use port forwarding on the router to forward requests to each of the internal machines.

Alternatively, as sirlinux stated, a vpn connection would open up all the internal network to a client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

I am running videoservers on the LAN that should be seen from the outside world. In the end they are normal webservers so portforwarding is fine, but there is another aplication witch downloads information from the videoserver and this on cant work with port forwarding from the router.

If I get 6 IPs from eircom, one is assigned to the router every time the connection is established. Fine. I have than 5 left to play with. 1 I want to put on the videoserver and I want to be able to get to this IP from outside the LAN. Before I started this job I thought it is simple, but it doesnt seem to be.

I am looking for someone who is using the enhanced package and has a router in place and can ping an IP that is put onto one of the LAN clients from the outside world (WAN).

Im using eircom dsl 1024/256 with static ip's (8) with 6 of teh eight ip's in use, you just want the traffic to come in over the router to the ip's on the network, thats a bit insecure, you might be better of with a firewall but anyway, are you using the zyxel router? have you set it to route traffic rather than that single IP mode? forgotten what they call it if you cant find ill look at my zyxel and tell you. ANyway first things first tell me what router you have and secondly telnet into it and see what way it's set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

AFAIK, you need to ensure that your router is running in bridging mode and not NAT mode. Basically this allows you to create a DMZ which can house multiple machines with live ip addresses.

Correct me if im wrong but if you have an ip range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.105, then you set the router as 192.168.1.100, the next machine in the DMZ is 192.168.1.101. And I think you have to set the subnet mask on your router to 192.168.1.105 (Im not sure about this but afaik you have to use a new subnet mask and not the usual 255.255.255.0)

Anyone else shed some info on this?

• Advertisement

when you telnet into the zyxel in menu 1(general setup) make sure that route ip is set to yes, bridging is off, in menu 4 (internet access setup) from the main menu make sure single user account is set to no. That should be it, actually i think you need to reset the router for it to take effect, it will start routing traffic, note that port 80 is blocked by default in the filter sets

sorry, I forgot to mention that I am not using the 900 Euro Zyxel DSL router that eircom offers. I simple feel it is a bit to expansive.
    So what I am looking for is a router that can do the same but doesnt cost 900 Euro.

You can get the zyxel for a lot less than 900 search elsewhere in the forum, see http://www.itchest.co.uk/frag-your-frog.asax for a nokia IP55 for 169 sterling, otherwise consider a linux box with ADSL modem to act as a router, some really old stuff will do this, early pentiums etc (even seen a 486 do it just fine) check out floppyfw freesco etc.... plus you could get a firewall out of that too. check out www.scan.co.uk and ww.dabs.com for some seriously cheap dsl modems, though your best bet has to be www.marx-computers.com adsl router €185 adsl modem €95 if your in dublin you could pick it up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

forget using bridge mode on your lan it would screw everything up as every computer would have to have a unique username and password to connect plus you're block of 8 ip's would have to been downgraded to 4 single ip's mapped to each individual username(eircon at most will give you 4 usernames and this is only on the multi thingy they have my friend was told this who has the enchanced also). To do this, does your router support any other version of NAT rather then port forwarding.(port forwarding is grand for single static ip but more of a pain with multiple ip's) in port forwarding with multiple ip's rather then specifing it going to a local ip you will have to point it to a global ip and assigned that global ip to the local computer. confused yet. But in answer to your query yes you should have to you NAT(port forwardering) on your router unless you run NAT software off one of the other computers and get that computer to perform all NAT issues

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by rolo2912
    I was using a DLink 504 router before but couldnt get it working.

I dont want to get it working via portforwarding because I need some software installed that is not working on a port.

Rolo, I emailed you instructions for configuring the d-link last time you posted. Did they not work?

• Advertisement

I was so glad I had portforwarding working on this site I didnt check anything else anymore. And spot on it is running since 3 weeks and didnt go down once.

Because of the trouble I had with DLink and there poor support I want to get anything but not a dlink router again.

I just want to find someone who has 1. not the eircom router 2. a lan running that can be accessed from the WAN via static IPs provided by eircom. 3. is not using portforwarding to get this working.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Why not just read the manual?
    The section on port forwarding was right in there!
    There is probably another chapter on doing what you want without port forwarding.
    You should stop moaning about the support also, you haven't paid any money for them to support you. They will only support you if there is a defect with the hardware.
    Its like if you buy a car you can't ring them up if you're having trouble parking.

You have a point there, I agree.

That is why I am asking for anyone out there who might have exactly what I need and can tell me so.

I read the manual cover to cover but it doesnt tell you what to do.

DLink support is friendly and helpfull but they mostly deal with UK Clients running on a pppoA and they feel that is why it doesnt work in Ireland (pppoE).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If I was setting this up,

I would give all the internal machines their private ip address and public ip aliases. Then on the router, add a route for each public ip address, setting the gateway as the machines private ip address.

Gav

Advertisement