Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills and housemates

Options
  • 28-08-2002 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I need some help here!
    I live in a house with two other people. One of them is VERY rarely there, and I mean, I could go 5 days without seeing this person. My problem is, he hasn't paid me a penny for bills since I moved in at the start of the year.
    Any time I bring up the subject, he throws it back at me by saying 'Well you owe me for eircom' and I ask him to show me the bill that I owe money on, but of course, he doesn't. In fact, he's even taken our cordless phone and living room phone away which is really odd to say the least!

He now owes me about 150 euro, and i'm getting worried i'm not going to see a penny of it.

What would you all suggest I do? Our landlord doesn't live in Ireland and I don't even have a contact phone number for him, so I can't ask him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

dont pay for anything until he coughs up cash. its his responsibility too. wait till a bill comes, catch him when he's around and tell him he owes you so much money so he has to pay this bill, and that you're not going to pay for it until you get back the money he owes.
    altho this may not work if he's never around coz he probably wont care if you get you electricity/gas whatever cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

yea do wat serphina, he sounds like a bolox talk to the other roomate and see if ye cud arrange to kick him out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nick some of his stuff and tell him hes not getting it back unti he coughs up and then throw him out.
    oh, and rob the phones back and start locking your doors.

think of it as gentle persuassion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

This stuff is so much hassle :mad:

Get in touch with Eircom and get your last bill or two sent out to you again. Armed with this information tell him how much he owes you. Don't get annoyed be polite. If this doesn't work you have to get in touch with the landlord.

If the only way of getting in touch with him is not paying the rent then do that (Personally I found this a most effective way of getting my landlords attention). Tell your housemate you're not paying rent until he coughs up or the landlord comes and sorts it out. The thought of losing his deposit will soon have him crossing your palm with silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

How is your rent handled, do you pay someone face to face or is it all direct debt? If face to face, explain the situation to them as they will be the one's who the bill's will have to be paid by if you guys wont. Contact the people who look after the leasing and explain the situation and tell them you want a new flat mate. Who's name is the contract in, as if its his you could get screwed big time. The one think I would say is that if you do go to the landlord, be very very cool. Landlords do not want hassle and will just as quickly toss the 3 of you out and get new tenents in to avoid any hassle.

How has this guy got the phone bill he claims you oue money on? Also who's name is the phone bill in? If the phone bill is in his name and is not paid, the rat bástards in Eircom will take him to court after about 5 months for payment.

Can you explain the taking of the phone's away part.

Nicking his stuff will just get the cops involved and is a bad idea overall, but I would consider changing the locks since he is not paying his way.

• Advertisement

no.
    nicking stuff is much more fun.
    like when conor nicks all your wánk mags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

We pay the rent direct debit, i've met my landlord once, he's in africa working right now and i have no contact info.
    the phone bill is in the non payers name, he has paid the bill AFAIK but never asks me for my share. He said to me before, it was his way of 'saving'...leaving the bills for ages before collecting off the rest of the house

AS for robbnig the phones...they are his, i think. Don't knwo *what* that's all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

Why not try this, it might solve the phone problem.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

eircom call tracking
    If you are sharing your home phone with more than one person or working from home, you know that keeping track of calls can be time consuming. eircom call tracking is a new service, which can make life easier by keeping a record of the calls made by each person using the home phone.
    There can be up to eight registered users of call tracking.
    Each user can choose from a list of eight codes.
    You can select any access code from 01 to 08 and do not have to select these in consecutive order.
    Calls made using eircom call tracking are presented under individual headings on your eircom phone bill. So, when the bill arrives, you can see at a glance who made which calls.

Did you know?
    To set up eircom call tracking, order online, then 3 working days later dial 1740 before all calls.
    rental price: 1.88 (including VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Eamo if Conor takes the **** mag's how will i be able to return them to you :p

Originally posted by Venom
    Eamo if Conor takes the **** mag's how will i be able to return them to you :p

Touché...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by threefour
    Why not try this, it might solve the phone problem.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

eircom call tracking

The bills not the problem as I only use the home phone for internet calls, so it's just one number the whole time. I know roughly how much I owe him ....
    And I don't think I can use the call tracking as I don't know what our account no. is and the bill's not in our name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Talk to the other flatmate first, agree to stand together, then just don't pay the other bills. When everything gets cut off, he'll HAVE to talk to you about payment for things.

If that doesn't work leave your share of the rent for a month or two. At the end of the day, he can't turn round and say "you owe me 150 smackers" without showing you the bills. Point this out to him when you hand him all the bills he hasn't paid YOU for. Again, you don't have to be nasty about it but you do have to force the issue, and that't the easiest way of doing it.

Advertisement