Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web work

• 28-08-2002 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks a mate of mie was saying that he started off in web development offerinf his services for free on a part time basis and that if things pick up in the industry they would consider giving him a job ( in N. Zeland about 4 years ago ).

I was wondering if web companies in Dublin would consider such a thing or is there legalalities that stop this as I have nearly 3 years web work and and trying desperatelt to stay in the IT sector and ride the storm etc ??

all and any thoughts welcome

paddyc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

Work for free? Sorry, but what are you thinking. Can you imagine the lack of motivation/resentment a setup like that would produce? You're an educated professional ffs, not a charity case. Think like one.
    If I were you I'd be getting realistic about the I.T./Software/Telecoms industrys in Ireland. It's basically gone down the tubes from what I hear. Consider moving to where the work is and be flexible about the kind of positions you look for. For example a stint contracting in the U.K. might work if you can match their requirements to you're skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

by web development you mean what? if its just web front ends then your in trouble, and its not just ireland either. if you've got decent middle tier/db skillz then you should be able to get something if you persist. if you had good middle tier/db skillz then you wouldn't/shouldn't be unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Working for free used to be called "Boon" work back in plantation times, done by lowly serfs to please their settled landlords.

I am neither serf nor pauper, therefore, I would in my swiss sign up for anything like that.... it's just plain stoopid.

paddyc: re: front end developers - this is indeed true, especially in Dublin. Even with some scripting/dbase/security work it is still difficult to find a job in Dublin. Example: I have 5 years professional design experience, CIW Associate, MCP in ASP and VB, training in VB.NET, and the only interview I had was with "a certain company". I cut my salary expectancy by 5 grand, and I didn't get the job because they were looking to employ someone (basically an ASP/VB hacker) for 20,000 euro a year.

The guy who interviewed me said if I had lowered my salary expectations I would have got the job.

I told him I had already stooped low enough, packed my bags, and made for London where there are some DECENT IT companies and not the scabby, back-stabbing, cheap outfits that plague the Dublin job market.

Still haven't found anything over here yet, but at least the recruitment companies take an interest in you and actually PHONE you back.

Take it from me, the Halcyon days of the web/software industry are officially over in Ireland.

Don't beat yourselves over the head in frustration or work for anything less than you're worth, just get the hell out.

Advertisement