Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its time to be realistic

Options
  • 28-08-2002 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Do we actaully think broadband will be available soon. I have been waiting 14 weeks for a phone line installed, and because they wouldn't take the order for an ISDN at the same time, I will have to wait at least another 4 to 6 weeks before I get a semi-decent internet connect. We are talking about Eircom, if they cant install a phone line in reasonable time, what chances do we have of a broadband connection.

It seems crazy, that BT can do broadband within a week or so, but it takes the big "E" a lifetime.

I personnaly dont think broadband in ireland will be available until at least the last quarter in 2003.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I personnaly dont think broadband in ireland will be available until at least the last quarter in 2003.

WOW! :eek: That soon!? :D
    I think your being too optamistic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

gmidgely could I urge you to please inform the ODTR of your waiting and the difficulties you have experienced in dealing with Eircom. It is imperative that such cases are scrutinised.

PM me if you would like assistance. I am meeting with the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs shortly and I feel that they should be enlightened on such situation also. Its not good enough for the ODCA and the ODTR to bounce consumers complaints between each other with neither taking action.

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Broadband is available in many areas of Ireland, the issue is no longer only the availablity but also the cost. I am from Dublin 5, I could get ADSL tomorrow if I want, but I don't really want to part with €108 a month for the privilage.

Sorry to hear about your phone troubles, I wonder who you could complain to ... ?

[Dave answers the question in the interim]

Yes, indeed the ODTR would be a good starting place, also inform the dept. of communications they would be bound to be interested in this type of thing too, then email Eircom and tell them you are pissed off with their standard of service and are making a complaint to the ODTR and DoC, that should get their interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by gmidgely
    Do we actaully think broadband will be available soon. I have been waiting 14 weeks for a phone line installed, and because they wouldn't take the order for an ISDN at the same time, I will have to wait at least another 4 to 6 weeks before I get a semi-decent internet connect.
    This sounds very dodgy. Why would they not take an order for ISDN at the same time?

Maybe the sales person thought you wanted a 'hi-speed' line. All this is is a standard phone line which is subsequently upgraded to ISDN. Their computer systems might not allow the ordering of this 'product' without the existing standard line.

However, if all you want is an ISDN line, then you should order this directly. You will still be able to run standard phones off it as well as ISDN equipment.

The other posibility is that Eircom don't have any spare ISDN capacity at the exchange and this is a sort of delay tactic.

Most likely it is simple stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It seems crazy, that BT can do broadband within a week or so, but it takes the big "E" a lifetime.

Actually, it's not big 'E', it's small 'e'. We only use the big 'E' to annoy the droids in the Eircon marketing department, since they spend vast amounts of time getting everyone to print it with a small 'e'. It's the little things that make Dahamsta da happiest... :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by MDR
    I am from Dublin 5, I could get ADSL tomorrow if I want

where bouts in dublin5 are you Mdr? I'm in dublin5 iswell but my line continually fails the test

Advertisement