Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Samsung World Cyber Games

Options
  • 28-08-2002 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

The Samsung World Cyber Games - the UK National tournament to find out our country's best game players. The 10 winners of this National tournament will be flown all-expenses-paid to South Korea where they'll battle it out with the top players from 47 other countries. The games being played in competition are:

Age of Empires II (individual)

Counter-Strike (five player teams)

Fifa 2002 World Cup (individual)

Quake 3: Arena (individual)

Unreal Tournament (individual)

X-box Halo (various exhibition)
    For more information on the UK Final taking place in London during September and October

http://www.vga.org.uk/?a=wcg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Fifa 2002

LMAO.

It's such a crap game,

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

That xbox thing is crap too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Why not do a rundown on the US or dutch or chinese arrangements? This is Ireland not UK therefore one from Ireland cannot enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

fifa ffs, it should be Pro Evo Soccer for the ps2.

Fifa 2002 - where the shoot button has been replaced with a goal button, and 2 player games turn into 22 men slide tackling the ball back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by RapierX
    Why not do a rundown on the US or dutch or chinese arrangements? This is Ireland not UK therefore one from Ireland cannot enter.

Irish people are allowed enter afaik, and if theres no Irish qualifier, then the best route to WCG for an Irish player who is interested would probably be through the UK qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I think I stand corrected. Who wants to play with a union jack beside there name so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

well done dNC, gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by saik
    well done dNC, gays.

hmm It costs a massive amount of money to send 15 players to Korea for a week. It is extremely difficult to get corporate sponsorship for games in Ireland. DNC are currently launching a new computer games site, which went on longer that expected and used up our extra funds.

Your childish attitude isn't helping.

The event operates like the Olympics so you must be from the country in question or you cannot participate in Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Killy: only UK people are allowed in the UK qualifiers.
    You also need to bring your passport so you won't get in by lying
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Are there gonna be any Irish qualifiers, for any game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

aaron u tool read above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I did Moll, and all I gathered is that Irish players cant go to the UK ones, and that DNC arent gonna send 15 players to Korea?

How much would it cost just to send one Quake/UT player over? Why won't anyone do a qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

why don't you pay for/get sponsership yerselves and go if its so bloody important?

well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    why don't you pay for/get sponsership yerselves and go if its so bloody important?

well?

As I understand it, you can't go without qualifying, qualifiers cant be hosted unless the hosts are the sponsors, so thats why. Thats also the reason why there isn't a qualifier (too expensive for the hosts to act as sponsors). This is a bit annoying - if I was confident that I could do well in the WCG q3 1v1, getting sponsorship for myself alone would have been no problem, but with no Irish qualifier I wouldn't have been able to go. For that reason its a bad rule that the hosts must be sponsors. (I'm not saying I would have a chance of winning the WCG or even the Irish qualifiers I'm just saying theoretically).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

just cos they have to be sponsors doesnt mean they have to PAY.

I'm sure DNC would host the qualifiers provided that they arent expected to pay for your flight to Korea. If you have sponsorship arranged then you are ok to go (if you win!).

Its a stupid rule but I'm sure there are ways around it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The only thing is lads the WCG have very strict rules about how these qualifiers are run. So I think the qualifying centres have to commit to paying these costs, which means there may be no way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

So a possibility of a free flight to Korea
    but it's only for the Uk

Advertisement