Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Pratchett - Favourite Characters!

Options
  • 28-08-2002 3:35pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've become more and more into The Discworld Novel with every passing day (Despite the fact that I've been a huge fan for yonks!) and read through the instructions for the game "Cripple Mister Onion" yesterday after coming across one of his MANY websites, yet I believe that the Discworld saga alone stands as one of the best works in literature to date, and is his best work without a doubt...

That said, who is your favourite character!?
    There are so many to choose from...

1) Rincewind, how can you not like this unfortunate sod!
    2) Death - HE TALKS LIKE THIS - THAT MUST MAKE HIM COOL
    3) Detritus the Troll - Brief appearances in Soul Music (Extremely brief) and Feet Of Clay. I, as a rule, love underdog characters, and for a troll to become one of the best sergeants of the Watch (Despite being a clod) makes me lurve him!

So, who is yours then!?

Oh, and the Luggage is great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Cohen The Barbarian - Just a dirty bastard.
    Detritus - He and his crossbow feature more in Jingo.
    Death - SPEAKING LIKE THIS OWNZ
    The Librarian - Ook (need I say more)
    The Bursar - "And now I must fly, except that I must not"

And last but far from least the beggars
    "I hate bloody Golems takin' our jobs..."
    "We ain't got jobs."
    "See what I mean?"
    "What's for supper?"
    "Mud and ole boots HRRaawrk ptui!"
    "Millennium hand and and shrimp I sez."
    "'M glad I've got a voice. I can speak up for myself."
    "It's time you fed your duck."
    "What duck?"

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Feet Of Clay is my favourite, and that above statement was spot on and brilliant Fish. I haven't read Jingo unfortunately, but I plan to purchase every discworld novel avaliable soon - Reading was overpowered by writing when I had my PC unfortunately so I stopped my continuous TP campaign and before I knew it tonnes more of his work arrived.

Is Jingo good? I love Detritus and his weapon which had been "Converted from a seige weapon and fired a fifteen foot(?) long shaft" - Im in college, so thats off the top of my head... Rogers The Bulls was funny - "It wasn't as if Wee Mad Arthur was able to deliver a killer blow, it was the barriage of continuous and painful blows over a concentrated area"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

For me it has to be, in no particular order

Death
    Rincewind
    The Witches (Mrs Ogg, Granny Weatherwax and Magrat)
    Commander Vimes
    Nobby & Sgt Colon

but there are loads more, whoa dd so much, I mean how could you not like the Auditors!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cowlren

the auditors did have the best exits in theif of time, and names come to think of it. but all the original riders of the apocalypse are pretty cool, even back in Good Omens co-writen with Neil Gammon.

but death does get the best oneliner retorts.
    rincewind would be next for his survival of the unfittest techniques
    after that i'd pick the druids . travel by phobia really should be looked into as a cure for todays traffic problems.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Commander Vimes was brilliant, as was Vetinari in his own weird way. Was Commander Vimes in any other books bar Feet Of Clay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I love the books but I don't know if I'd class them as literature....

Favorite characters:

Nanny Ogg (the hedgehog song)
    The Great God Om in his guise as a tortoise (small gods is far and away his best book and the only one I would class as literature, very clever)
    Nobby(card carrying member of the human race)
    Death(I prefer Au Revoir)
    Chancellor Ridcully and the Bursar (dried frog pills)

I fúcking hate that ape librarian and both Rincewind and the rincewind books are godawful IMHO.

Are you calling "The Colour Of Magic", TP's very first step into creating the saga known as the Discworld novels... God Awful!?
    Are "The Light Fantastic" and all the other Rincewind containing books Godawful!? Is anything of Terry Pratchetts godawful!?

I strongly disagree with you Dapper, but we are all entitled to our opinion.

Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay
    Maskerade
    Jingo
    The Fifth Elephant
    The Truth

Detritus' weapon does indeed fire a 15 foot bolt and is deadly at, well any range really....

Have got all books in the series, started on Reaper Man and was hooked. Have read and re-read all of the books numerous times.

Good omens isn't a disco=world book, Gaimann adds a much darker side to TP's humour which I liked alot. The riders adapting to the times in it made for a good laugh...

I've only had the pleasure of reading:

The Colour Of Magic
    The Light Fantastic
    Equal Rites
    Carpe Jugulum
    Feet Of Clay
    Wyrd Sisters
    Hogswatch (Or what was it? Death as Santa - That one - Funny as hell)
    Reaper Man

and a few others before I dropped reading like a hot scone and started my attempts at writing.

I tried my hand at writing something TP style but failed miserably due to lack of imagination.

To write in the Tp stylee requires an imagination alright, some of the scenarios are just genius but the comedy aspect has to be there aswell. I have been sitting in an airport with people staring at me as I ROFL. Still think that the Gold song has gotta be one of the best ever written. With the volume of crap in the charts at the moment it would probably go straight in at no. 1.

• Advertisement

slightly off subject but it might help jog memories of characters.
    interesting to see the dates.
    bibliography

Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

DEATH
    Vetinari
    The librarian

There all good in fairness, altho i really dont like Susan Sto Helit.

CowIren, cheers for that - I can now conclude that:

The Colour Of magic,
    The Light Fantastic,
    Equal Rites,
    Sourcery,
    Small Gods,
    Feet Of Clay,
    HogFather,
    Carpe Jugulum,
    and The Last Hero are the one's I've read.
    Gah, my memory is melting.

I didn't like Susan in Soul Music, and I haven't read the other book she stars in. I don't like TwoFlower much either.

Whatever happened to Hrun The Barbarian!?
    After T.C.O.M I haven't heard of him since!?

Not much to like about two flower really, tourists are never popular (except for the money -thats where the luggage comes in), you even feel half guilty when you are one.

Haven't heard from Hruin since, as for Susan, she is in the Hogfather I think and she plays a big part in the Thief of time. Her character is fleshed out a bit and so a bit more likable insomuch as Death's daughter can be...

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold.

I think that was the first verse, the chorus really makes the song though...

Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold,
    Gold, Gold, Gold.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Cohan the barbarian!
    (Interesting Times)
    Hehe .. he was good.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Edit: My favourite character would have to be Carrot ;) I love that guy.

Hmmm..... lets see what i've read:

Non-Discworld:
    The Carpet People
    Only You Can Save Mankind
    Good Omens

Discword:
    The Colour of Magic
    The Light Fantastic
    Equal Rites
    Pyramids
    Eric
    Moving Pictures
    Witches Abroad
    Lords and Ladies
    Men At Arms
    Interesting Times
    Maskerade
    Feet of Clay
    Hogfather
    Jingo
    Carpe Jugulum

Also:
    The Discworld Companion

I think we can safely say I like his books :)

ere, whats the different between erotic and kinky?
    Erotic is when you use a feather
    Kinky is when you use the whole chicken

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Are you calling "The Colour Of Magic", TP's very first step into creating the saga known as the Discworld novels... God Awful!?
    Yes.
    Are "The Light Fantastic" and all the other Rincewind containing books Godawful!?
    Yes.
    Is anything of Terry Pratchetts godawful!?
    Good lord yes.
    I strongly disagree with you Dapper, but we are all entitled to our opinion.
    It's life's rich pagent isn't it?
    Seriously though as you go back and reread them fondly you'll see that a good many of the books are very weak. When Terry Pratchett is on form he is one of my favorite authors I do think he's written some terrible books though. And I think he's written too many of them.

Hey Fio, I never figured you to be a Pratchett Sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hey Fio, I never figured you to be a Pratchett Sort!

Ah, how could you say that? You dont really know me at all so! :)

The Colour of Magic & The Light Fanatastic.... while great books when you read them first... .they quickly fade to nothingness in comparrison to the rest of the books.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Does anyone on the lit boards read or discuss anything other than Terry Prachett???

I mean people are always yapping on about him....

He's good but does he really deserve this much atttention?

He's nothing compared to Dogulas Adams...

And btw...my favourite book is Small Gods, closely followed by Mort...:)

My father and Duggy Adams were aquainted, and for very strange circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Death or Crowley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rincewind would have to be my fav :)

followed by.. ermm.. the death of rats I guess, and then sam vimes

fav book is either good omens *just cos it's so readable*, or small gods.

the worst thing about the discworld books for me though, is that I've read them all about 5 times.. so It gets a tad annoying to re-read them all the time.. and some of his newer ones aren't great either

Death or Crowley

His Guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

hmmmmm let me have another bananananan dacyri and decide

It has to Mrs Gytha Ogg, then Magrat, then COhen's daughter the hairdresser with tthe deadiest siccors.

In order of preference the witches books
    The death books
    The guards

Rincewind only has one joke and thats running

A wizzards staff has a knob on its end, a knob on it's end a knob on it's end ..........................

• Advertisement

My father and Duggy Adams were aquainted, and for very strange circumstances.

[Swallow bait] How so ?? [/Swallow Bait]

Advertisement