Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Pratchett - Favourite Characters!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

all of the guards just rock in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The Luggage also pwns meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Favourite characters:
    Rincewind
    Gaspode
    Reg Shoe
    The Bursar
    Ponder Stibbons
    Hex
    THE DEAN!!!!

read all his Discworld novels <almost all in order> up to Fifth Elephant.. probably should get The Truth and Thief of Time and all the misc Discwold stuff...

Favourite would have to be Small Gods.

AND Good Omens RULES SUPREME! Can't wait for the film <Terry Gilliam directing so you know it's gonna be GOOOOOOOD>!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Death

He's probably the greatest character in any book ever, with the exception of O'Brien from 1984. O'Brien can make people not exist, but Death comes close. Oh, and Marvin, the original Paranoid Android from Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker books.

I reread Thief of Time a few days ago, it's still brilliant, with funny names like "Taupe" and "Tangerine", and speaking of colours as names, a know-it-all called Vincent.

I heard from an acquaintance (not a friend, I hasten to add) that they wanted to make a film of Mort, but to make it happier, shinier, and more crowd-friendly, they wanted to remove Death. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Vimes owns!
    Death is a great straight man for Albert.
    Nanny's funny most of the time.
    What's her name in Strata was good too.

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Commander Vimes was brilliant, as was Vetinari in his own weird way. Was Commander Vimes in any other books bar Feet Of Clay?

Not sure how many books Commander Vimes is in (I think only 1), but Samuel Vimes features in in loads :

Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay
    Jingo
    The Fifth Elephant
    The Truth

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    To write in the Tp stylee requires an imagination alright, some of the scenarios are just genius but the comedy aspect has to be there aswell.

His themes are ripped off, mostly from classical literature, but what he does with them is genius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Death is by far my favourite too, my favourite book being 'Mort', it really tickled my funny bone when he went fly fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Vimes owns!

Not sure how many books Commander Vimes is in (I think only 1), but Samuel Vimes features in in loads :

Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay
    Jingo
    The Fifth Elephant
    The Truth

Commander Vimes and Samuel Vimes are one and the same man. ;)

Advertisement