Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

floppies

• 28-08-2002 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

how did we ever use them?!?!?!?!

i've just bent the third one in a row in half in frustration. Perfectly new floppies that were never used, just laid around for a long time.

only using one to get a nic driver onto an older machine...what is it about them ? do they half a halflife of 6 weeks or something? are they using some form of cheap soft plastic that slowly melts at room temperature?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

floppies annoy me hehe, but will they ever be removed from newly built machines? i doubt it, unless a super duper floppy drive comes out (i think theres that superdisk 120 disk or something) i cant really update me bios cos me floppy drive is fecked and the bios program makes a bios disk hehe dumb yoke :) i guess the floppy is the link to the past machines hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I believe you can make bootable cd's rather easily these days with Nero. If you can get an image file of a bootable disk, you can tell nero to use that, and then you can lump more files on afterwards. I hate floppies myself, and I see no need for them in new machines. I removed the drive from my machine to prevent me using the damn things. Horribly, horribly unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Same here gerry, none my machines have a floppy drive, completely pointless things these days. I think I tore my floppy drive out of my machine one day in frustration and binned it. :)

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for all the people who keep all their work on one floppy and don't know any better, or if I should just laugh.

Any guess on how long before new pcs are no longer supplied with floppy drives? Is it going to be five years? ten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

It has definitly got worse. The diskettes don't seem as reliable as they were in the days of 286/386. There also seems to be a much larger issue with drives unable to read diskettes created on another machine.

Also seeing a lot of DVD drives lately that don't like certain CDR's(How much does everyone trust CDR's?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I use CD's for backups and for copying files from one machine to another (that aren't connected) I use CF card's and Zio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Agreed occidental, I used to have no problems with floppy disks, I remember being very proud that the one of the first games I got on disk ( F29 Retaliator ), came on a bulletproof disk which still works 10 years later. No such reliability with todays disks or drives, I've seen 2 drives go from perfectly working to unable to recognise a disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I wish floppy disks and fat32 went out with the dinosaurs ;)

Advertisement