Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I hate modders!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

(only mod is an "Up The Banner" sticker on the back window)

You disgust me. That is worse than any 5 foot high spoiler.

Back on Topic

[sarcasm] Mods are well daecent sham! Allize and da spiler and da muffler, tinted windys and all[/sarcasm]

Car mods are the worst attempt at expressing individuality or taste I have seen. Seriously, I'd consider a canvas smeared in goat feces to have more class than another bleedin red civic hatch with tinted windows and crap.
    Firstly, these mods are not individual. They are all* very similar. Or pointless. Take for example, I have seen recently a shìtty old blue fiesta with uv lights on the bottom of the car, lighting up the road underneath. Whats the fèkin point? It looks shìtty.

However I digress, and abide by the code, each to their own, whatever floats your boat. I'll merely watch and laugh.

*obviously an exaggeration, not by a great deal though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have seen recently a shìtty old blue fiesta with uv lights on the bottom of the car, lighting up the road underneath. Whats the fèkin point? It looks shìtty.
    it does look ****ty but i have seen worse using UV lights.
    was in Limerick a couple of weeks ago and there was some young lad driving around in a really old dirty grey fiesta with music blaring and and no mods apart from blue lights at the base of the back windscreen and passenger windows. this guy must have watch to much of the movie "the fast and the furious" but he put the lights in the wrong place :rolleyes: myself and all the lads pissed ourselves laughing on the main street in limerick when we seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

One of the funniest things I have seen in Limerick (I live in limerick, the mod muppets are everywhere) is an 89 Nissan Micra with a ferrari sticker on it. I nearly wet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Extra Headlights really piss me off..as do the searchlamps (?) on SUV's. These same mooks generally don't dip either..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dave
    One of the funniest things I have seen in Limerick (I live in limerick, the mod muppets are everywhere) is an 89 Nissan Micra with a ferrari sticker on it. I nearly wet myself.

Ha, I think I've seen that one.

Limerick is a modder town to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ok neons they are for display purpose only driving with them turned on is illegal. For shows and the like they can look kinda ok if done right.

Gerry not all aftermark DV's make that noise in fact most DV's that come on turbos as standerd are not the best and should be replaced. But nice quite DV's can be got and hell they are normally the better ones.

I think the main difference between the twin cam shams and a modder is that twin cams go out to be as loud as they can, as fast as they can and stand out as must as they can without spending a hell of a lot of money. Where as the modders just want to make the car look a bit better and doing it right by spending time and money on their cars.

I suppose its each to their own at the end of the day.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Kayos you don't perchance go 'cruising' do you?

Na I dont go cruising sure my car is as standerd as they come atm so even if I did want to there would not be any point :)

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

So I`m talking crap Gerry???????That Ibiza has no turbo.I was built by Sjb Sport which was set up after Sportstek closed.These companies are the ones who set up rally cars and who actually designed a wide arch version of that copper car to be released by Seat.It was never released cause it was going to cost 40k sterling.And just so everyone knows I am a modifier. My car is my life.I like to spend time working on my car so what???So people rather speadit in the pub!!!At least with then car you cansee what you accomplised.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

the Micra brigade are the worst...bunch of idiots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone here declared these mods on thier insurnace app/renewal forms? Or was that a silly question.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Originally posted by Gerry
    Kayos, I was referring to aftermarket dump valves, sorry for any confusion. Of course I know that all turbo cars come with them, they are normally referred to as wastegates.

Woah woah, there is a big difference between dump valves (blow offs) and wastegates. Wastgates are placed in the exhaust side of the turbo running in parallell with the turbine, when the required boost is reached the wastegate opens allowing part of the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine and reenter the exhaust past the turbo (some race cars have external wastegates which just vent this exhaust straight into the atmosphere). Boost Controllers are thus used to regulate the signal to the wastegate essentially lying to it (wastegate is being told xpsi is running when actually x+y is being run)

Blow off valves are found on the intake part of the engine. Every time you let off the accelerator (such as gear changes) the throttle plate closes, thus the pressurised air has nowhere to go and pulls a U turn heading straight back towards the compressow wheel, this obviously is bad as it retards the wheel and can even damage it after prolonged use. Blow off valves therefore are used to vent this air producing the distinctive 'whkssssssss' and preventing the backpressure from destroying the turbo.

Engine & to a lesser extent body mods are my big interests, saddest thing in the world to me are dildos who spend all their money jamming ps2s, dvd players and whatnots in their 88 ****buckets .

As soon as my loan is paid off on my 01 Xsara bodykit is on its way & in a few years an engine swap is planned followed by lock stock the fckin lot.

As an aside regarding insurance companies, is it possible to insure a car to be used for extremely small milages pa (1-3k miles)?

All modifications are declared!!!!Once you don`t chance cc they aren`t to bad because most insurance companies don`t realise any mod small or large should gain a few horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I saw a lovely mondello there a couple of days ago.. ah man, i could'nt take my eyes off it, nice mod job done on it... seemed as though the height of it was lowered, large alloys, low front spoiler and .. well just plain nice to look at

Was that meant to be Mondeo????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've got nothing as such against anyone who wants to Modify their cars but some of the Modding jobs you see out there are hideous.

You might as well have a cornflakes box as a muffler and nail a plank of rotten wood on as a spoiler. At least it would have an authentic look.

Some of the jobs I've seen are quite nice and make the cars look really cool but sometimes things just go a bit far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

Originally posted by Gerry
    Dump valves only apply to turbocharged cars ( usually black starlets ), and are the ultimate skanger accessory. They let everyone know you have a "fast" car, even though all the driving you want to do is laps of the local housing estates.

my god the snobbery of some of you is unbelievable. im not singling you out, Gerry, but all of you who go on about "skangers", "knackers", "scumbags" etc judging people by the cars they drive.

true, some 'modified' cars look kak and some are done properly, but how does that decide whether a person is a 'scumbag' or not?

get off your high horses and cop on, ignorance is not an attractive characteristic to posess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

you tell em little lady

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I have to agree that a lot of modified car's look sh*te, but thats because it does'nt suit the car, examples would be Fiat Punto's, all Merc's and modified Renault Clio's look crap too.................however some car's are just right, such as Ford's and Scoobaru's, which is why I'm getting something like this next year, only in a dark navy metallic and a few extra tweak's

untitled.jpg

Remove the two spoiler's and plonk this baby at the back ;)

me.jpg

All topped off with a nice in-car entertainment system (ICE)

"Old Skool" baby
    :)

na m8, that back wings a bit much dont ya think ?

This is what I'll be driving soon enough:
    front.jpg

but I thinking the front spoiler is to big for my boots. I'd rather something smaller or something that ducks into the car and not sticking out as this one is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Originally posted by ando

Yeah but I need something sturdy to push it up a hill :)

I'm not really keen on the focus, it's better then a lot of car's but modern pieces of sh*te really don't do it for me. Classic and 80's all the way!

Originally posted by Corega
    I'm not really keen on the focus

ack, blasfumous talk

Originally posted by ando

This is what I'll be driving soon enough:
    front.jpg

but I thinking the front spoiler is to big for my boots. I'd rather something smaller or something that ducks into the car and not sticking out as this one is

hmmmm are you sure you want to go with the carcept kit? They are not made that well and can be very hard to get a good finish on.

I'm just waiting on my Koni suspension now for my Ibiza. All the rest is in so hopefully I will be getting it done soon and I'll stick up before and after pics....

kayos

Originally posted by kayos
    are you sure you want to go with the carcept kit?

no, I'm not sure at all, but there isn't many other places that do body kits that i can find :( I'm still looking though for better, more reliable ppl
    I will be getting it done soon and I'll stick up before and after pics....

plz do ;)

Try wings west they are expensive but very well made kits and fully TUV approvied. Ok so you might spend a bit more but at least the kist is designed to fit like a glove....

some others I have found are

http://kaminari.com/products/00Focus2DR.htm

http://kaminari.com/products/00Focus2DRLip.htm

http://kaminari.com/products/00Focus4DR.htm

there are a load of kits out there but it is really hard to find them and half the web sites are out of date. Your best bet is to buy Max Power/Redline/Fast Car UK and have a browse through that.

I was going to go for the Carcept kit for my Ibiza but I was warned not to due to the quality of the kits (the guy fitting everything point blank refused to kit their kits!!!).

Do not rush into it take your time finding the kit you really want. Then go looking for the other parts like wheel's/tires/suspension/engine mods.

kayos

great advice kayos, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've been toying with the idea of buying an old Micra and modding it to high hell, just so I can break my 5hite laughing at it every morning.
    Viper stripes, wide alloys, that neon light underneath, huge exhaust (that pops out flames every few meters), and instead of tinted windows, I'd have mirrored windows to reflect peoples headlights back at them, a nice low scirt, a rear spoiler that's wider than the car itself... a front spoiler (an F1 knock-off).
    Rally stearing wheel & gears... bucket seats, 12" subwoofer... and last, but not least - a giant Pikachu painted on both sides of the car.
    Oh, and a custom reg that says - 0wn3d :)
    Oh oh, and a hydrolic low-rider system, so I can bounce the car.

Of course I realize that some of that would be illegal/stupidly expensive/unavailable/stupid looking... but it'd give me such a laugh :)
    The ultimate muppet-mobile tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

For anyone who is serious about modifying cars, it is worth taking a look at what the German tuning industry is doing. VDAT is the organisation that represents this industry and their website (available in English) gives a list of all the companies registered with them as members. Go to http://www.vdat.de/homee.htm and click on the members link on the left.

As for the muppets who stick on silly bodykits, I have very little time for them. The best one I saw recently was some guy who had a bodykit on a suzuki swift (I think) scrape the front spoiler off the ground going into a filling station - the only time I've ever seen anyone do that at this particular one (which I use regularly enough). Nuff said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Heres mine

before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

after

Advertisement