Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs In The *Midlands* - Where do you recommend?

Options
  • 28-08-2002 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Well, in my immediate area...

Stradbally
    Ramsbottoms Bar & Lounge -
    top o the Main St. in Stradbally as you come from Portlaoise
    Very nice place..not just cos I help out behind the bar now and again!

Portlaoise
    Delaneys
    Just up from the permanent TSB bank and a short walk from the train station.
    Prolly one o the best pubs in Portlaoise.

I'm usually just in Delaneys so feel free to add other pubs in the portlaoise area and around the midlands.

Be nice to know o other pubs worth going to.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Feck sake, like the Prison Officers? The hub of all that is cool and gr00vy!

/me slaps thigh-YEAH BABY!

Little Havana above Grellan Delaneys off licensce(I believe its called the "Wine Vault")Entrance via stairs. Very laid back, never packed out, they do pitchers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Little Havana above Grellan Delaneys off licensce

Aye...very nice place indeed. Highly recommended.

Kavanagh's -"The Wren's Nest"
    Down the Main St. in Portlaoise.

Again, tis a haunting place butt it's been a while...very nice since it's been renovated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

i think the anvil in portarlington is quite the nice watering hole.

I've been to Manleys in Port. a couple o times.
    Night club scene isn't my thing tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

Where is Manleys in Port?

Manleys is the hotel in port not very nice,very very violent most nights some bad stuff will happen not good at all.After dark is cool though

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

The Eastend? Thought that it was owned by McNamaras?? Never heard it called Manleys but you learn somat new every day... Is after Dark really good though????

Its called manleys because it used to be owned by a manley and has changed hands several times and noone has ever improved upon it i hate it myself.

Ramsbottoms, Grellans & the Prison Officers can all be rented out for events eg. B/dayz, music gigs etc.

Grellans' specially cos of the "OutBack" which is used a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

In Portarlington, there are something like 26 pubs (with another posed for the Gracefield end I heard).

Out of this lot, the only ones worth going to are the Anvil (although why I dont know, Padraic Coffee is a dick) and the After Dark.

The East End was owned by Mick Manley who now owns the Pint O' Port - a good place to have a party.

Wouldn't really go near anywhere else...Lots of dodgy charachters in every one...

The East End was owned by Mick Manley who now owns the Pint O' Port - a good place to have a party.
    An extremley better explanation than mine!Seriouskly though port has little or nothing in the way of places to have a party.The nearest place is <shudder> "the harriers" in the land of the Offaly again <shudder>:D

"the harriers" in the land of the Offaly

ROFL! "knacker drinking" would prolly be better! :D:D

Being the operative term yes Knacker drinking is correct its just a shed (very big shed ill give it that) with lights music and a sub-par-bar!

Now having never been to the "Harriers" myself, is it in *Offaly North* or Ofaly South*?

If tis the *northern* part...me thinks we should lay off the place given we're all in the same *region*:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well me bing from offaly tullamore see's the arriers in it .. so its north offaly .

a there aint mutch in the midlands nowadays im spending most of my time heading to dublin and galway to go out ..

a well

if yar ever out in tullamore givis a shout and ill go for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Benny Andersons pub in Ardee is a mad place. Its one of those really old fashioned pubs, ya know with a shop in the front if it. Benny himself is about 80 and bless his cotton socks he hasnt a clue how to run a pub. He has only got four different taps - Guinness, Carlsberg, Bass and Bulmers, and he doesnt have an optics. If you ask him for a G & T, he takes a glass down off the shelf and pours you out a gin from the bottle..... with the result that you usually get a triple, which he'll only charge about 2 euro for cos he doesnt know what things cost. If you wanna go to the loo, the men have to go to an outhouse in his back garden and the women get to use the loo upstairs in his living quarters.

Its worth a visit just for the culture shock alone.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

De Bruins and Loughreys in Tullamore

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

If you want pub grub, go to loughreys.
    De Bruins is too damn warm to be comfortable when your out having a dring. For a cool relaxing place for a drink. Lockes

But the best pub of all is Feighery's in Kilcormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Whats the big attraction to the harriers?

Loads of people went after the Junior Cert.

Its just a big shed with crap music and no beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Whats the big attraction to the harriers?

Loads of people went after the Junior Cert.

Its just a big shed with crap music and no beer.

You have Pubs in Offaly with no beer?? Jesus, I know we have some crap pubs in Westmeath, but I never realised things could get that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

You have Pubs in Offaly with no beer??

You?

Are You sayin im from offaly?? Well??

My involvement in the LNA (hail LNA) would suggest otherwise.

Offaly will fall. So will Westmeath, unless you join us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Offaly will fall. So will Westmeath, unless you join us.

Hmmm, that'll make a big difference then. Offer us a free night out and your on. If you buy the chips, we'll throw in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Hello,
    you have got to try Morrisseys in abbeyliex, it is one of the oldest pubs in ireland, the staff wear the white coats and all in there.
    its great, there is also a big pot bellied stove lighting in the middle of the floor.
    I'm begginging to sound like an advertisement for the place so i'm going to go.
    Loads of history there, worth a look.

be good,
    gogo :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been to most of the pubs mentioned except for the Tullamore ones,bridge house is one i was in there[its a hotel i think].
    Morriseys is a cool spot alright i went in there during the summer with the wife and her parents on a Sunday afternoon ,the place was packed and when i asked "was there a match on or something" i got a no its always like this.

Im from Kildare town and living in Monasterevin ,Mooneys is ok i suppose in M/evin .
    In Kildare i suggest Nolans in the square ,Silken thomas used to be cool but full of teeny-boppers now.
    Cunninghams is good craic too.

If you venture into Newbridge i suggest Swifts ,Actually Newbridge is a great nightlife town but stay off the streets after 2 am for obvious reasons unless your a huge fan of bare knuckle boxing and indeed kicking.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Ha ha ha ha ha

How about Dinnys in Ballylinan or PEDIGREE??

Sorry

Feeling a bit comical after a few jars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by gogo
    Hello,
    you have got to try Morrisseys in abbeyliex, it is one of the oldest pubs in ireland, the staff wear the white coats and all in there.

How's about Sean's bar in AThlone. It IS the oldest pub in Ireland with a wonderful pint of teh black stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Delaneys Portlaoise. Excellent Women, Beer, Music and Atmosphere. Also the bar upstairs (little havana) is class. Not very big but great vibe, cocktails/pitchers and again nice women.

Originally posted by pclancy
    ....Excellent women....Excellent women...excellent women...

hehehe...aye, Grellan's does attract a certain higher class o women!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

its surprising cos i never see so many nice birds during the day in portlaoise. but they seem to flock to grellans at night. amazing.

Advertisement