Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer switches itself off

• 28-08-2002 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi lads, I have recently encountered a problem with my athlon 1800+ running windows 2000. It switches itself for no obvious reason, it could happen anytime whilst playing music, games, or surfing etc. Usually when it does occur the monitor goes into standby but the computers humm doesnt sound any different. I have to press the restart or more often than not hit the power switch to bring it back to life. However sometimes it just remains as it was in seemingly standby mode - other times it boots up and i can hear the beep - I cant pinpoint it to any driver conflicts, apps etc and my settings seem ok....any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What motherboard is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

try going to Control Panel and Power Options and in the power scheme box, switch it to Always On and see if that makes any difference, it mite be diff in Windows 2000, im on ME, hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

the motherboard is 112735 MSI KT3 ULTRA2 mainboard for Socket A VIAKT333, ATA/133, sound, ATX, USB2.0. I bought most of the system as a pc bundle on komplett.ie but i doubt the motherboard is the problem here, for instance as i just posted the original topic here, 5 seconds later it just crashed, i can hear the fans still going and the processors buzz stays the same, maybe its the monitor? although a couple of days ago it seemed to be the hd, the comp ran a CHKDSK/F request (then automatically did it) nothing seemed wrong. Ruu i had it on always on :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

eh, could it be the monitor?
    oh maybe the graphics card is overheating and turning off, or the cpu is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Genesis

Problem : poltergeist

Solution : Exorcist

Pld me:D /me pats himself on back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Could be the same problem as I had with my laptop. The machine had apparently taken a bang and the heat-sink was knocked out of place, causing the processor to over-heat real fast and thus kill the power.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Had this problem with my machine a few months back under windows2000
    Solution's simple
    Right-click My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery-Then uncheck the "Automatically restart" in System Failure.
    Problem sorted!
    If it's still hapening after you do this it could be a heat problem or a dodgy power supply so you'd need to have it look at.

Advertisement