Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Project

Options
  • 29-08-2002 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Right, a project,

Now what project should we do!

A big project would be an E-Mail Manager

a not so big one would be an upload manager like the boards.ie one,

does anyone else have any ideas or a liking of either of those?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Coming from a webmaster background myself, I've always wanted to do a content management system. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

A content management system for what? Any particular application?

I'd like to develop something similar to webmin giving it tonnes of functionality, with a very usefull UI. its hard to find something pretty thats functional and works the way you want it. other people have different visions of the system they would like, i too have a vision :)

Ill write it down sometime :) and i mite share it. Maybe the start of our IPUG would be to develop something similar.

*dreams*

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by flamegrill

Ill write it down sometime :) and i mite share it.

We're all so lucky to live in the same World as you flamey :p;):)

Ok, so from the many (all 2) replies, it looks like a "Website Content Manager" is what we want?

Right, So what we'll be needing to generate is a list of what should be in the package:

basic's i suppose would be in 2 parts [frontend] (small) and the [backend] (big)

[frontend]

- FrontPage (no jokes please)
    >> Which gathers information to display from a source

Question: Should we use an sql database system or store the info in text files?

[end of frontend]

[backend]

- Admin
    >> Login Page
    >> Menu Page
    >>>>Sub Menu Pages (i.e. where the action goes on)

[end of backend]

So i figure that would be the basic layout?

any ideas / suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

I know...
    a web based cvs system...
    cvs == Concurrent Versions System

so a large number of people can work on a alrge number of files...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

basic prog structure for something like this should be mapped out using something like UML

I'm currently in the process of working on the basic of something like this in PHP and my idea so far is to create a number of key areas of use and get them working indiviadually.

in the end i reckon hte backend will be:
    MySQL database
    generic classes for different areas of usage(ie. news update, settings, skins, thumbnail galleries, etc)

take a look at already made ideas to see how they did it

kitsite - google search

• Advertisement
Advertisement