Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking

• 29-08-2002 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query that I hope someone can help with

I am running indoze 98 on an overclocked machine (800mhz clocked to 1G), with 128 RAM. Now my question is this, why does the machine crash every so often when playing a game? I have made sure that I have sufficient ram, decent graphics card, etc, but the game keeps crashing. have tried multiple re-installs, etc, but it continues to do so. Am I right in assuming that the overclocking is the key? If not does anyone else have another idea as to why this might be happening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, a very simple way of fiquring out is overclocking the problem is to reset the system to 800. If it still crashes, then something else is the problem.

When overclocking to 1GHz, ensure you are not running the memory or PCI bus speeds out of spec. The CPU temp will also increase, it could simply be overheating.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

will do, will keep this thread posted when I try your solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Ph3n0m, my good man, Try testing your ram with this http://www.goldmemory.cz/

I've had similar problems in the past and solved them with this.

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/cpuburn4.zip

Use that to test stability of your motherboard and chip. Use burnp6 if its a p3, burnk7 if its an athlon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ah my dear Lucutus, and Gerry, will try all that jazz when I get home tonight. will posts results of my many tests later on, so anyone else with a similar problem will have a reference to look at, mainly this thread :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement