Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

censorship on the boards

Options
  • 29-08-2002 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Censorship on the boards.
    I realise that this topic has been up before the last time if I recall was around September 11th and concerned some posts that could be seen to be in very poor taste. BUT in the last two months I have had about 5 posts just removed for no apparent reason the last post being on the Hellooooo World!!! Thread. The reason it appears to be the fact that I didn’t agree with the common consensus on the thread by not actually liking the music or person that the thread was about. I also made a true comment which I wont repeat should this become an un-thread {anybody who has read 1984 will no doubt have a vision of the future of boards.ie}.

On that same thread Beretta called ‘Candice’ simply an ‘idiot’ got edited, I have read a hell of a lot worse about boyzone, westlife, the revs etc on these boards and it has not been touched, is that simply because they are famous and don’t read these posts? But surely they would be more likely to sue then say candice?

I can understand libellous threads being taken down or profane or offensive ones BUT a joke posting directing Americans to ‘the George’ why take that down?

I’m starting to feel like Lisa writing her open letter to the people of Springfield! So let me end by saying this I for one will never post here again, may I thank whoever THE DROWNER and KURDT are because their posts always made me laugh and BRIAN D and SINISTER PETE you are both fonts of knowledge.
    Its better to burn out then to fade away {sorry couldn’t resist it!!!!!!!!!!}

Alex O’Farrell aka bandit

P.S. oh irony of ironies this thread will probably be cut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

thank you bandit, glad i could oblige :)
    im sorry if this pisses anyone off, but i have to say i agree with you. When i saw that the two threads had been cut , i assumed that maybe the two people who had written it had cut them out. I know it wasnt flattering but it was an opinion on an artist, and i thought thats what we discussed on this board....even candice herself had no problem with it!i know extremely nasty things have been cut from time to time, and thats fair enough, but i didnt think those posts were very offensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

cheers bandit...

its a pity alrite that threads such as the ones you mentioned are removed...and i have to agree with you that the censor appears to be out of control...a difference of opinion/joes...why are these sortsa things removed?? i dont know but i'm sure theres a reason...it may not be a valid one but the world is full of boundaries and lines and we aint supposed to cross em...if we do its crossed out...a lot of opinions are crossed out like that...but bandit i dont think you shud quit the boards...dont let them get the better of you...

keep posting...dont let it affect you!!!

i am not inciting a riot!!

actually how would a virtual riot go??

*lobs virtual fire bottle*

there we go...

dont leave us bandit!!!!

yeah i dont think u should go bandit!!!!

to go on more from our posts, i know theres a time and a place for deleting certain posts, and i know myslef and kurdt, johnny etc have had it done many a time for our going off on a tangent, and thats fair enough, because this isnt the place for it, and we have toned it down a lot! But i dont think stating an opinion in a non-flattering-yet-none-the-less-none-too-offensive way is crossing any lines.
    i remember the melaton thread which contained many negative and positive reviews was viewed by melaton's lead singer, and there was no problem. i know it must have been a bit uncomfortable for him, to be reading negative things, but when u make the choice to go forth into music and sell your wares to the public, you cant expect everyone to love you, and youve got to take the good with the bad, its what makes the world go round.

yeah but melaton got to read a lot of positive things too...ppl just never seem to focus on ANYTHING positive (BIG example: how many news items a day do you see that are happy?)

ark...bit of a tangent...i know if i was in a band i'd wanna read what ppl though...whether it be good be bad or be indifferent...

any press is good press....or so they say...but if threads get deleted bands will all turn out like jj72 coz they wont see the negativity and they'll stick to the same formulae (hehe)...obviously no body told em to ruff it up a bit and go for even a slightly different sound...and for them theres a lot of ppl in the position to do so...but for smaller bands they've only got their friends, their family and US!!!!!

and like i said, if i was in a bad i'd love to be talked about on here...and i'd love to talk back to the ppl talking about me...and i'd love to ask whats wrong with my music and for them to tell me...hmmmm...feedback is the word i'm looking for... etc...

i apologise for the waffling (i had em for brekkie)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

well well well i agree with this thread as much as thedrowner and kurdt except for one slight point I AM JUST AS FUNNY AS THEY ARE!!!!!! gggggrrrrrrrrrr bandit do my threads not make u laugh????

anyway yeah the whole editing thing is getting a bit much but then again if that is what the moderator wants to do then who r we to fight it?????

*punches virtual cop in face before throwing another virtual firebomb*

• Advertisement

this is really hard coz i dont want pete to think we're ganging up on him or anything, coz he's cool!
    anyway yeah the whole editing thing is getting a bit much but then again if that is what the moderator wants to do then who r we to fight it?????

but to this i must say, i know he's moderating the board, but as a contributor to the board i think we should be allowed read somehting that is not too offensive. i dont think it's fair that we dont get to read someone's opinion of a topic because its not entirely positive.

I get really annoyed when i go to read posts the next day and i find bits have been edited. Now i know its usually done for a good reason, and it makes it tolerable but having read the posts being talked about here, i question the reasoning.... SORRY PETE!!! i dont want this to sound harsh and mean!!! im just saying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Well I have to say I think thee reasons these particular posts were deleted was because they were a personal attack on Candice herself rather than her site or her music ...

In fact I got the distinct impression there was a personal thing between her and the posters ... in fact I'm guessing .. and this is a guess! that Candice may have had relations of somekind with someeones boyfriend or some such ..

Plus replying to a post with the single word "Idiot" is just plain begging to get moderated, I'm sure a post of:
    "this site is poorly made, because etc. etc. your music is crap bcos yadda yadda if you think you have a career in music you are an idiot IMHO" certainly would not have been cut they made arguably valid points.

/rant

Anyhoo I think it was all getting a bit personal and nasty and didnt have much relevance to the thread.

So thats my 2 cents!

PS I'm pretty sure I'm AT LEAST as funny as Johnny! ;)

ok, well thats fair enough, maybe i didn't remember them right.
    you're jogging my memory a bit...!
    sorry pete!

but still posts that do no body any harm are removed!!!

also, just thinking...its so easy to get the way ppl are saying things wrong on a computer...coz you read the words whatever way you see em...you dont know of someones smiling or scowling behind what they're saying...it could be a joke that someone takes seriously...it could be a sarcastic comment taken the wrong way...its easy to happen....

See below, this one was a f|_|ckup!

• Advertisement

Well don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of censorship ... but I believe the qutoes were "Idiot" on its own and "F.U.C.K.I.N.G IDIOT" with some additional remarks about members from other bands being "poached" or something like that. I'm guessing its the idiot remarks that were called foul ...
    Like I said, if you wanna call someone an idiot, back it up or at least explain. Stuff gets removed from the politics board all the time if its abusive, not qualified or backed up or off topic. Its a fact of life, its not really censorship its more housekeeping.

I TOTALLY know what you are talking about, I've had massive blazing rows with mates and even girlfirends becase a comment in MSN is taken the wrong way .. god bless emoticons!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

No way Gerk i am much funnier than u

anywya yeah it is kind of obvious the reason that the posts got taken off that particaular thread was because they were just random statements not backed up by anything so there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

ger k's right its not ok to just call someone an idiot with no reasoning... of course that should have been moderated

but

bandit has a point people do it about other bands/ppl all the time and nothing happens

so maybe its something to think bout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ok, this is actually a pretty simple one for me to answer (again):

The postings were removed because they contained unsubstantiated personal abuse against a person. I make no apology for that whatsoever. If you dont like someones music, say it, but if its just abuse against a person, I dont want to know.

Basic rules are always the same. I will remove posts if I find them to be offensive, irrelevant, or legally questionable. Once again I make no apology for that. Its my responsibility as moderator of the board.

Bandit, its sad if you dont post again but thems the rules. You, or anybody else doesnt have to agree with them of course and I can debate the merits of them with whoever feels they may be wrong. People are also entitled to ask why particular threads are moderated/deleted.

Kurdt, no the censor is not out of control. Yet.

As Ive said, debate the music as much as you like, but don't personally attack people. Its not about being negative or expressing negative views, its about pointless abuse and unsubstantiated nonsense. Its lazy, and unbecoming.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

Here Here,well said pete, back up your points with some logical statements.

On the lighter side of things. If i was to call myself and IDIOT, would it be censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by threefour
    Here Here,well said pete, back up your points with some logical statements.

On the lighter side of things. If i was to call myself and IDIOT, would it be censored.

if i was moderator i'd censor everything you did til you changed your name to onetwo... just to flex my censoring muscles

thats really sending me on a crazy stream of consciousness, and yes i am drunk

well done polarbelly nice to see yer living the life...

and pete...i agree with ya there...i never saw the 'idiot' posts so i'm not quite sure what was removed, but i seem to remember something that i didnt find abusive at all being removed...if i think of what it is, i'll let ya know...

oh, and wheres this BBQ?

Advertisement