Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel P4 4Ghz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

From down the slashdot comments:

person 1: "I just got this brand new P4 2.8GHz CPU. What should I do with it?"

person 2: "Get a Radeon 9700 and get on top of the 3Dmark2001 benchmark list at Mad Onion?"

person 1: "Radeon hasn't come in yet..."

person 2: "Compile some software?"

person 1: "Already did that."

person 2: "Create a new anthropomorphic CGI character with a Jamaican accent?"

person 1: "Tried it, but for some reason the CGI software refuses to let me. Something about digital rights management and George Lucas."

person 2: "Rip some DVDs to DIVX?"

person 1: "Already did that. I think it's what pissed off George Lucas."

person 2: "Ah hell, lets just dump some liquid nitrogen on it and overclock it. It'll be like the Fast and The Furious if it blows up."

person 1: "Duuuuude! Great idea!"

just sums up the mentality of people that try to cook silicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

it's funny cause its true and its true cause its funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I love the way they used what looks like plastic cups to hold the Liquid Nitrogen. Must be fun to burn your hands with Liquid Nitrogen for the sake of overclocking a pc.

ln2_7.jpg

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I just wonder if the cpu and motherboard still work normally after that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Arent they Styrofoam cups? Afaik, plastic cups would break up at that temperature.

I have a Super cooler, P4 2.226 running at 3240MHz at -13. FSB is 760MHz. Over 1000MHz overclock. Its pretty fast and perfectly stable.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

We raised the FSB one more step and managed to run succesfully SuperPi benchmark while CPU was running at 3998MHz. The result was 39 seconds

i assume its fit for the scrap heap after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Better to recycle the mobo as a desktop ornament.

I do this with hard drives I drop on the ground (for random purposes or fun). Dismanted hard drives look impressive on thine desktop and a burned out dismantled p4 + mobo that you ran for 39 seconds.....considering the price you paid for it... you may as well mount it and call it art.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

If the mobo is reduced to a desktop ornament, that will only be because they didn't protect it enough. Also, unless the chip was allowed heat up loads, its probably ok also. People are always so ****ing presumptious about these things,
    "oh if they used nitrogen its a foregone conclusion that everything is now destroyed"

How do you know? Did the author tell you this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just out of curiousity- where the hell do you pick up liquid nitrogen..... some college chem lab??? If so- how do you transport it. I've heard N burns like hell........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think the guys who did it were in russia or somefin. That would explain why they
    a) Able to get liquid nitrogen.
    b) Ran a cpu soooo hot that they could survive the cold winter.

Id love to put the mobo etc. into a pc and sell it to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

They were in finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...assuming they cooled down the board and the CPU gradually, rather than suddenly (and therefore hopefully avoiding cracking anything critical), and shut down (and unplugged) the machine within maybe 30-60s after the LN2 ran out (to avoid any problems with impure condensation), and left the whole shebang to airdry afterward, there's no reason why that board (and CPU) won't be perfectly useable, I'm pretty sure...

Gadget

Advertisement