Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detonator 40.41 - Windows XP upto 25% preformance increase

• 29-08-2002 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Straight from NVIDIA Version: 40.41 XP drivers offical non-WHQL.

Release Highlights:
    • Up to a 25% increase in performance
    • nView™ 2.0 multi-display technology increases productivity and provides the necessary tools to control the way users access and view applications.
      NVRotate™ enabling image rotation on today’s advanced flat panel displays.
    • New control panel streamlines user interface and enables faster and easier access to all video settings
      CineFX Simulator allows developers to use Cg—“C for graphics”—to write complex shaders in a high level language faster and more easily than before.

File Size: 9.25 MB
    http://joestest.uuhost.uk.uu.net/40.41_winxp.exe

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_40.41

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ok, I'll see if I get any improvement here on win2k with a geforce2 gts. Doubtful I'd say, they are concentrating on the geforce4, and Cg for vertex shaders but we shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes plez let us know if there is any improvment with a gf2 gts i have one too and will the nvida refresh rate fix work with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Gonna test it out on a Gf2 mx running 98se and a gf2 gts running w2k, will report back tomorrow.

I tested quake3 , on my particular graphics cfg I went from 173 to 184 fps, this was with full texture detail and lightmap, but many other settings switched off. I feel that there might be more improvements at more stressful detail levels, but I didn't have time tonight to do more "before" tests with the 28.xx drivers. Its nice that there was some improvement though, and it shows what a dedicated and skilled driver team they have to squeeze more speed out of older hardware. The refresh rate fix which works with 27-28.xxx drivers should work with this... hopefully.

Note: These drivers are only available in a package for win2k and xp, yet another reason for those who still believe that win9x is a viable solution for todays machines to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

downgrade to, you mean, surely?

:)

• Advertisement

Good one dan, keep them all guessing!

lol! Tell it to Samba, he's the one running 98se :) get em!

Will give it a lash on the gts after work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just tried them on my Gf4 ti4200. 800 mark increase in 3dmark 2001SE!

Nice one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

For those worried about refresh rates, looks like nVidia are doing something about it (in D3D anyway):

Found this on a GFX newsgroup:

"Set the Coolbits hack value from 3 to 7 (or set it to FFFFFFFF like I do to expose any future hidden features) and there's a nice refresh rate override properties display hidden in the "More Direct3D" control panel section to help fix XP refresh rate issues."

Handy huh?

There is now also an option to sharpen the textures when using AA, presumably it clears up the aweful QuinCunx Texture smear.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

hey has any one tried it for geforce 3 ti 200 on win2k .... if so ... is there much of a boost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Creative Geforce 3 64Mb

Old drivers (30.82 i think) = 7667
    Old drivers plus oc = 8245
    New drivers = 7932
    New drivers plus oc = 8781

Its better then a downgrade in previous drivers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

i got a 800 increas in 3d mark on my xfx gf ti 4200 , but when i tick on the ti 4200 tab in properties it jams and sais "run a ddl as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

****e on it, I'd love to test the GF4 Ti4600 with these but Im running 98SE. Komplett are delayed with my new HD (I'm going to put XP Pro on it). Should get some pretty serious increase.

Before Gerry pounces, the only reason I'm using 98 is because it's more compatible with the older games (I play lots of old DOS thingies). Can't seem to let go of the past.

Daft Tho', an XP2100, 512MD DDR PC2700 and GF4Ti4600 with 98 running on it. I'm only scoring about 9400 in 3DMark 2K1 SE under default settings, I would expect XP and the new dets to puch this well over 10,000, am I being realistic here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Is it just me or is the driver slightly fvcked? When i go to display properties then advanced then "geforce 2 gts" it says "An error occured when windows was working with the control panel file "C:\winnt\system32\desk.cpl" This happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i had that problem to. before you install them uninstall the old ones fully then install the new ones. that will fix the errors. its good practice to do that anyway everytime you upgrade drivers

Originally posted by Quigs Snr

Daft Tho', an XP2100, 512MD DDR PC2700 and GF4Ti4600 with 98 running on it. I'm only scoring about 9400 in 3DMark 2K1 SE under default settings, I would expect XP and the new dets to puch this well over 10,000, am I being realistic here ?

Try the 1100's+

Also you can get a piece of software called Connectix Virtual PC which will let you emulate an os in an os.

I ran 3 versions of linux and windows 2k adv server all on the one machine at once and it ran grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

hey can ne1 help me,i downloaded th update to 40.41 but wen i am installing it a warning coms up sayin that this product has not passed windows logo testing to c if it is comopatible wit xp nd then it say if i coninue installation the driver may no longer work so i havto quit ne1 help me plz???

Just press continue.
    The drivers aren't verified by microsoft but they work.

are u sure??cause this didnt happen wen i installed previous versions lik 30.82 !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would propose that they in that case had been passed for XP.

sooooo does that mean i should r shouldnt press continue??:S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Well, the reason you're being warned is that as PPC says the drivers aren't officially supported. you shouldn't encounter any problems, but there is a slight risk you will (isn't there always with everything). If you're ultra cautious, then quit out of it and just stay as you are. Otherwise, continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv got a MSI TI4400 and the score was raised from 7,950 to 8,330 which is ok using the 40 det drivers. Every little helps. Im gonna try to overclock it. Does ne 1 now how far i should push the card.? THX COMBATCOW

How fast is your CPU? A Ti4400 should be doing somewhat better than that. I get 11,000 (and a bit) in 3dmark 2001se with my 64mb Ti4200 - with an athlon xp1800 cpu.

I installed, the refresh rate fix didnt' work so I didn't even bother testing them, gone back to 21.83's on w2k on gf2 pro.

Try using a different refresh rate fix program - This one works fine with the 40.41's: http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i downloading those drivers now.
    When i have installed them i`ll report any improvements i get in 3d mark 2001 se on my 2 susyems. One has a gf2 gts 32meg and a gf2 mx400 32 meg!
    with tbird cpu`s!

intresting to see if i get any improvements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

from 7004 to 7310 on a gf3 ti 5oo tbh

• Advertisement

thanks for that steve.

er about the drivers woopdeedoo - +350 in 3dmk2001 and -573 in GLXcess.

/me goes back to 23.81

Advertisement