Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV Video Music Awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

They werent the best admittedly buy as Jack Black noted about Stevie Wonder in High Fidelity....

IS it in fact unfair to criticize a
    formerly great artist for his
    latter-day sins? "Is it better to
    burn out than to fade away?"

They should have stuck to one as well. Rocket Queen or November Rain IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

fair enuff the medley thing was wrong...but they still have the talent and they showed it at leeds, dunno how the other shows went, but i saw a lot of impressed faces at leeds from the youngsters who only heard of GNR in the last while to the oldies with their white leather jackets with the biig GNR patches on the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Pigman
    The only time I ever watched this show was in 1996 when the Smashing Pumpkins cleaned up...

Yea, that was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Kurdt
    fair enuff the medley thing was wrong...but they still have the talent and they showed it at leeds, dunno how the other shows went, but i saw a lot of impressed faces at leeds from the youngsters who only heard of GNR in the last while to the oldies with their white leather jackets with the biig GNR patches on the back...

I recently downloaded pretty much the entire Leeds concert... bootlegged of course, and I have to say, his voice is gone. Shíte.

Maybe it's just cos the quality is bad, but I don't think so, as I also managed to get some footage from Rock In Rio and his voice is fúcked in it also.

GNR are gone. That Buckethead fúcker is an arséhole.... for his guitar solo he does "The robot" with a pair of nunchuks and then gets his guitar and drivels on for a while.

The other guitarist is Robin Finck I think.... shíte. Drummer is crap.. he can't play Mr. Brownstone or November rain properly.... and Axl is fat.

If you watch the VMA's performance again... listen to the change from Madagascar into Paradise City... like a bunch of fúckin amateurs. Axl shold have stopped while he was ahead, and left it as it was. Good memories rather than the bóllox he's churning out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Drummer is crap.. he can't play Mr. Brownstone or November rain properly....

Hey Man, The drummers name is Brain and if youve ever heard Brain playing with Primus, he is unbelievable. I have a live cd of Primus playing on New Years Eve in SF. Best drums ever. He is not as good as Tim 'Herb' Alexander though (original Primus drummer)

I also agree that GNR are crap with their lineup of all non-original members.

Axl is a dick cos he made the original members sign away their rights to the songs cos he threatned to walk out on their world tour i think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In the bits and pieces I saw of the show, the most sickening thing had to be the act of bandwagon patriotism with Rudy Guiliani. They introduced this chest thumping "tribute" using the Clashs "Rudy Can't Fail".

Absolutely sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I was in Leeds with Kurdt and GNR were amazing. Nothing dodgy about Axl's voice there. I couldn't believe their performance in the VMAs tho. I couldn't watch it! Pity all GNR fans couldn't be at the Leeds festival to see their knock-out performance because now the fans seem to be losing faith in Axl's ability to sing, which he still has btw. We've seen live proof.
    (and my own input into the Linkin Park thing...there's nothing wrong with them. They're different and have their own unique sound. And for the record...they aren't a manufactured band contrary to speculation, but if u just don't like 'em then fair enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Sandi
    I was in Leeds with Kurdt and GNR were amazing. Nothing dodgy about Axl's voice there.

Well, then my recording must be crap, or else it was better when you're there. You should try downloading it and seeing if it's as good as you heard when you were there. I don't think so.
    Either way, I can't really watch them with some fool with a bucket on his head.
    Hey Man, The drummers name is Brain and if youve ever heard Brain playing with Primus, he is unbelievable. I have a live cd of Primus playing on New Years Eve in SF. Best drums ever. He is not as good as Tim 'Herb' Alexander though (original Primus drummer)

My name is Mud... I'm well aware of Brain's drumming ability, and yes, he's one of the best drummers in the world. I'm quite a fan of Primus's older stuff, I'm sure you've heard Tommy the cat live, where himself and Les do a drum\bass solo? Unbelievable!

But I'm sure you're aware of how different GNR are to Primus. Different style of drumming which Brain can't handle so well. I'm sure he could, but because he's such a talented drummer, he puts a bit too much into the tunes. Which takes away from the original feel of the songs. I myself (as a drummer) used to have trouble doing ballads or slower tunes, because I always played fast rock. I could explain more in depth from a drumming point of view, but I imagine this should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

The quality of the recording is gonna be different to what we actually heard there. And also, if the recording is crap it might be due to bad mixing by the engineer. I'm studying live sound and I didn't hear anything wrong with their performance in Leeds.

Advertisement