Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Win XP SP1

• 30-08-2002 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a link to Win XP SP1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

It hasn't been released yet. Microsoft are talking mid-September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I'm looking for an RC or late Beta and if it were in a Euro language that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

www.winbeta.org the final rtm version, build 1106. its only on irc so you could be waiting a few hours. im on que for the last 3 1/2 hours :(

Thanks, I'll try to get it on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have it if you really want it ,im afraid to install it ...LOL
    that and directX 9.

only small 2 mb or so.

kdja

• Advertisement

just finished installing sp1. no microsoft "men in black" type figures have kicked my door in and charged me with anything. snes9x and epsxe dont stutter like they used to under xp and things are generally a little bit faster but it seemes to be using about 50mb more ram than it usually does? might cause probs for those without 640mb of ram in their machines :) if you havent been nice enough to pay for xp then you had better do your homework before attempting to installing sp1 be warned. oh one more thing if you are using the media player 9 betas that have been doing the rounds for the last few weeks a build number will appear on your desktop. damn flight simulator 2k2 has stopped working now ive gotta instal the fecker again. no other software has stopped working though.

one new feature is the ability to remove access to IE outlook express and change your java vm from the microsoft one or the sun one easily.

[edit]real one player if FuX0r3d right royaly FuX0r3d. also ive noticed it seems to have cleared the most severe xp bug that existed, my documents and recycle bin now remember the view settings yay[/edit]

thanks kdja , I'll go to Winbeta 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

I hear that if you're using StyleXP or something similar to allow 3rd party themes, you'll get a bluescreen on install. You have to switch to one of the Windows default themes (Classic or Luna) before you install the service pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

"if you havent been nice enough to pay for xp then you had better do your homework before attempting to installing sp1 be warned"

can you explain some more, not that I have a illegal copy or anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

tweak town did an article on it, saves the hassle of ringing MS for those that have trouble with their legit copies: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=350&dPage=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    "if you havent been nice enough to pay for xp then you had better do your homework before attempting to installing sp1 be warned"

can you explain some more, not that I have a illegal copy or anything :)

It's not an issue for the moment.

The rumour went around that Microsoft were going to block known pirated installations (based mostly on a single install key) from installing SP1 or perhaps even shutting down the Windows install. They've done this before - with Office 97 - installations using known pirated keys were blocked from installing the update.

The EULA (licence agreement) has changed for some MS products recently and it's certainly changed with this new SP1. MS now have the right to check out your CD key (which they may not have had before). So what they may do in the future is keep a tally of CD keys that access windowsupdate and make their decision to block a number of keys (or even any new key that they didn't issue themselves) from installing any future updates, or like I said, they may unactivate a windows install.

They don't appear to have taken any steps against the main culprit, a 25 alphanumeric code beginning with F - they may (or may not) just want to take all pirated installs off at pretty much the same time.

Windowsupdate version 5 is coming on line within the next 240 days (there's a section of SP1 literally counting down to access v5 next May). A conspiracy theorist might say that they'll take major action then, if they don't do it sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Full version now available here from MS (same link as posted as a "used to work" by CSM above - it's working again

ive had nothing but trouble running sp1 this last week. flight sim 2002, deus ex, realone all refused to work. It didnt like office xp's service packs either. it seems that applying sp1 to a well worn installation of xp will cause nothing but heartache. my advice is either slipstream your original cd or do a fresh install of xp and before installing anything else apply sp1. that has fixed "every" problem that i was experiencing(ha eXPerience).

one more thing the newest drivers for the alcatel usb adsl modem eircom provide seems to have issues with sp1. the line will stay in sync for about 2 minutes before disconecting. this process repeats ad neauseum. the drivers on the original disc supplied work fine but report the line speed incorrectly. apperently im on a 4MB line woohoo! :)

Advertisement