Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Server & Linux Hosting

Options
  • 30-08-2002 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I have been asked to set up a MS exchange server that dials out at intervals to send & receive messages.

Currently our domain is hosted on a linux box (virtual server).

Anybody know how you might go about this?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Dave,

Have you got a NT/2000 server that you intened to load Exchange on, or where you hoping to use the Linux box(Exchange 5.5 requires an NT/2000 server, Exchange 2000 requires a Win2000 server)?

The interval dial-up bit is quite easy as it's a basic feature of Exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dodgydave

Sorry Occidental, your right
    the server is a windows 2000 machine with Exchange 5.5.

It think it's the dns settings that I am having most trouble with.
    I think i need to add an MX record to the domains's dns settings?

Is this all that needs to be done.
    The hosting provider has pop3 mail accounts set up at the moment. I need them to remove these also yes?
    I'm worried that because mail is currently being handled by a linux box, there may be compatibility issues with our local exchange/win 2000 server?

Sending mail shouldn't be a problem, it's receiving mail that I am unsure about.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Dave,

Have a look in your PM's(Private Messages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Make sure that your domain hosting service has an smtp server, this will be your secondary MX

Your own MsExch system (if you have a fixed IP on dialup) will be the Primary MX

If the primary MX is available mail will be routed to it

If not the secondary MX will hold it for you till you dial in.

Your DNS entry (your doamin is called helpmeplease.ie in this example)

PRIMARY MX 10 MAIL.helpmeplease.ie 10
    SECONDARY MX MAIL.HOSTINGSERVICE.IE 20

A RECORD

MAIL.helpmeplease.ie IP.IP.IP.IP (THE FIXED ip)

Therefore you hosting service has to add 2 MX records and one A record to your dns entry and give you the IP address and name of the system that will hold this mail for when you are not dialled in, the secondary relay.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Also, if your dial-up does not have a fixed IP, you'll need to look at something like catch-all pop3 retrieval.

There are a number of third-party pop3 connectors for exchange, basically, your host sets up a catch-all pop mail box, then exchange connects, downloads over pop3, and distributes.

This is pretty much the only option if you do not have a fixed IP at the exhange servers location,

HTH,
    Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement