Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ALL THINGS DEBS / GRADS!! *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

muffinz wrote: »
    ooh when are u going?

September 22nd, maybe we are going to the same debs :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

nah im going mid-august :( ill let you know what its like!

nah im going mid-august :( ill let you know what its like!

Do, it looks like a good place. Enjoy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Im going Newgrange in early September for bf's Debs, il let you know too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

My debs was last Thursday, I'm pretty sure it was like..the earliest one in the whole country! :O :L serrrious night though! Twas in The Old Darnley (Darnby?) Lodge in Athboy! Food was a bit crappy, but everyone scoffed it down because we were waiting to be fed for so long! The niteclub after was savage craic :) one big downer on the night though was the long journey to & from the place.. 2 and a half hours each way, twas hell! :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

ajjmk wrote: »
    My debs was last Thursday, I'm pretty sure it was like..the earliest one in the whole country! :O :L serrrious night though! Twas in The Old Darnley (Darnby?) Lodge in Athboy! Food was a bit crappy, but everyone scoffed it down because we were waiting to be fed for so long! The niteclub after was savage craic :) one big downer on the night though was the long journey to & from the place.. 2 and a half hours each way, twas hell! :O

I'm going there.....awh I was looking forward to good food =/ lol,

Are you kept in the dining area after your meal with like a bar, dance floor and music then moved to the nightclub later or whats the craic?

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Im going Newgrange in early September for bf's Debs, il let you know too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Serkunet

Ours is gonna be in Dundalk, it's organised by Debs Ireland. I heard that they make a good Debs, I've never been to one before, so I can just hope that it's gonna be good.....well it better be good for 90 euros >.>' per person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In fairness, it looks like a good idea, never heard of it before ... takes a lot of the hassle out of organising the thing.

Do you mind me asking where in Dundalk?

Oh I couldn't imagine, organising a huge event like that, I appreciate that they're organising everything and all, just still alot of money ^^'

oh sure! Wait let me get the card.....it's innnn Park Hotel.
    I actually don't know where that is XD but there's gonna be transport provided XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, I can well appreciate that it's a lot of cash ... I meant more that it takes the strain off the students to organise it.

Can't say I know the Park, apart from passing it, but it would be a pretty up-market hotel I think ...

Hope ye have a great night anyway! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Ours is in the Shearwater in Ballinasloe the night before the results. I always thought that's when everyone had their debs! They do it so you're not worrying about your results because you're too busy getting ready for the Debs. Really shocked at how much everybody seems to be paying for their tickets, we have to pay 55euro per ticket which includes everything (even a bus to and from the venue)

I went to last year's debs there(I'm a ty-er) I really didn't want to go in the first place because I'm not really into all that sort of thing but it was actually quite good. Food was brilliant, really tasty, good vegetarian option too. It was a nice night, really warm and they have a little courtyard thing which was really good. There was a band that were brilliant.

I got my dress just there when I was in England, saw a bargain, 20 pounds(it had a tear on it so they halved the price! I've just sewn it up and it's perfect) So I'm happy:)

@randylonghorn: Oh right XD yea I guess, well I wasn't on the Debs Committee so, no stress for me anyways lol

Thanks, I hope I have a good night too XP

@Curlyhatescurls: Same here! (Well I'm not a TY) I'm really not into stuff like this either, but the whole year is going and it'll probably be the last time I'll see most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Crow92 wrote: »
    I'm going there.....awh I was looking forward to good food =/ lol,

Are you kept in the dining area after your meal with like a bar, dance floor and music then moved to the nightclub later or whats the craic?

well I was at a debs there last year too, & I remember the food to have been much better then, so maybe they were having an off-night :P ...eh there's a bar in the dining room so you use that for the start of the night! You're in the dining room for the meal & speechs, then you yo across the carpark to the nightclub..this year & last there was a band playing, then a dj after! At about 4 they bring you back to the dining room for brekfast, which I thought was saaaavage! xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

kaimera wrote: »

I can recommend a place NOT TO GO TO.

Portlaoise CBS 2001
    Venue: Red Cow Inn, Dublin.
    Date: 22 Aug 2001
    Rough Start Time: 8.00pm
    Rough Finish time: 6.00am

Piss poor ore-priced alcohol.
    Below par food.
    Bar closed @ 12.00am
    Nite club bar closed @ 3.00am

Was our school's debs last year and went to the same place - was utterly disappointed! Food was horrible, drink was waaaaaaaaaay over priced. But we paid for a night club extension til half 5 with breakfast straight after so that wasnt too bad. Really long bus journey to and from there as well...stopped so many times for ppl on the way home! This year we have it in Dunboyne so fingers crossed it will be better!

Hey, i got my debs ticket today..It said "garda i.d or passport reuqired." Is that only necessary if you want to prove your 18?
    Coz Im only 17 so i cant get a garda id, and my new passport wont be delivered till mid august!! (my debs is gonna be before i get the passport) anyone know whats up with that?:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hey, i got my debs ticket today..It said "garda i.d or passport reuqired." Is that only necessary if you want to prove your 18?
    Coz Im only 17 so i cant get a garda id, and my new passport wont be delivered till mid august!! (my debs is gonna be before i get the passport) anyone know whats up with that?:confused::confused:

I'm sure that's only if you wish to buy alcohol. They are probably stressing that they don't accept driving licences / student cards as they are too easy to forge

true, but its just weird coz it didnt say you need it to prove your 18 or to get in, it just said its required :confused: but i mean half of my friends have never even had their own passports coz they always just went on their parents ones, so they can hardly not let us in coz of that? Plus theres a huge passport backlog :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm 99% sure that only applies if you wish to purchase alcohol, but if you are in any doubt you could ring the hotel (or debsireland if it was booked through them). But I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

So people, how far in advance should one rent a tux? Should it be matched with your dates dress? What other etiquettes should I know about, besides getting corsage for the date and chocolates for the mother? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm buying a suit - but I haven't bought it yet. As far as I know, the tie has to be the same colour as the girl's dress. The girl I am going with is wearing a blue dress (which she bought like 3 months ago!!) so I'll have to find a blue tie somewhere. My (twin) brother's girlfriend is wearing a pink dress though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

EDude wrote: »
    This year we have it in Dunboyne so fingers crossed it will be better!
    my school going dunboyne this year too!

My dress is green/blue shiny, theres no way in heck my date will find a matching tie! I was thinking maybe a silver tie for him to wear.... anyone have any ideas? Im terrible with matching xD

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Silver would go really well or white even.

Hmm yeah, think ill pick silver! Id love him to wear a dickie bow, but ill stick to the silver tie i think xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Cian92 wrote: »
    So people, how far in advance should one rent a tux? Should it be matched with your dates dress? What other etiquettes should I know about, besides getting corsage for the date and chocolates for the mother? Thanks.

Depends- booked mine about 3 weeks before it.

Basically if you want to wear a waistcoat you should match that to the colour of the dress.

And yes, you're correct about the last part.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

I'm pretty sure our debs was the earliest in the country. it was on Jan 4th last :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

James_LWAU wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure our debs was the earliest in the country. it was on Jan 4th last :confused:
    during 6th year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

James_LWAU wrote: »

Yeah, mine was on in April. A bit wierd now that people are only talkin about theirs being on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

We had ours in early November. It's cheaper, I guess. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement