Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ALL THINGS DEBS / GRADS!! *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I am worried about my Debs myself.

I have only had one proper date and the girl I was with turned out not being very nice, so we haven't seen one another since the breakup.

There is also only about 3 girls I have as good friends that I get to have over to my house for get togethers etc.

I want to bring a girl I am really close to, but I don't know when to ask her. Hopefully sometime around January of after. If someone else asks, I will ask the girl if I can bring 1 of her friends.

Anyone else been in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've been invited to the present 6th years' debs of my school, which are on Thursday... I booked my suit about a week and a half ago, and the person said he'd call me in a week so that I'd know that it was ready. What if they didn't make it? God, I'm so paranoid, but I'm so stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Has anyone been to the Headfort Arms Hotel, In Kells.
    That where ours is gona be. €70 a ticket (Cheap) ]
    What are they like o ID. Did you have a good time? Were you allowed to stay in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the Headfort Arms Hotel, In Kells.
    That where ours is gona be. €70 a ticket (Cheap) ]
    What are they like o ID. Did you have a good time? Were you allowed to stay in the hotel?

Hey, yeah i went there at the beginning of September. When we were going in they asked for ID and if you had it and you were over 18 they stamped your hand and if you didn't they just didn't stamp ye. I'm not even sure if they checked if you were stamped for getting drinks. When we went in there was a chocolate fountain and was later replaced with champagne but i don't know if it depends on how much you paid for the tickets. Dinner was meant to start at 8.30 but i think it was about 9.30 or 9.45 by the time it was served. They gave us choices on the menu but when they came around didn't give any choice. We had veg soup for starter which was ok, turkey and ham for dinner which i didn't eat because i'm vegetarian and choc cake for dessert which was the one thing i ate. I think it depends on what food you like because some people ate nothing where as others ate everything. A band came on in the same place where we were eating (there was a dance floor) and they were really good. They played till about 12.30 ish and then they brought us into the nightclub where we stayed till about 3.30/4.00. Then later in the club they had a table full with breakfast things such as sausages, beans, rolls, rashers and orange juice. I was one of the people on the first bus home and it left at about 4.20 ish and i was home and in bed by 5.40.
    It was a nice enough place and most people had a good time. I'm not sure about staying in the hotel because nobody in my group did. They also have an area before you get dinner where they take a professional pic of the couple. I think it was €30 but i honestly couldn't be sure about that.
    Hope ye have a good time!

Has anyone here ever got rejected over asking a girl to the debs because you asked too early?

I want to ask in December after my christmas exams are over (I have them end of November) so I will have all the stress off my head.

I'm bringing a friend rather than a gf because it seems a lot easier, especially since I am new to dating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 scotty91

Hey I know how you feel! I asked my date (also one of my friends) in december last year aswel and she was delighted to go!

I think if she is your friend you shouldn't have any problem with her rejecting you! Only problem is if , like me, you started dating someone else in the 8 or so months between asking your friend and the debs! ( I still brought my friend to the debs though, you can't uninvite someone to the debs it's just bad form! Keep that in mind when you're asking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah I don't really see how they'd have a problem. If you do have a GF though, erm, it wouldn't go down too well with her if you asked someone else.

Anyway, I was asked to debs around 9 months in advance, it's no biggy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

well it depends on d person .... but... i asked a girl to mine on tuesday said yes :D .... so ts always no till you try (we were already friends) gud luck brah :D

Thanks but I really don't want to have a love life for 6th year.
    I need to focus on my exams, so I feel much more relaxed asking a friend.
    I think before christmas would be a good time to ask. That way she will have 9 months to prepare, get the money for a dress and stuff.
    I will do my best to start working towards being able to afford it. In my school, tickets are like 150 euro each and you have to buy them in pairs. Also I will have to pay for the two, its only fair because I'm the asker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seanmansfield

Our school has Debs for fifth and sixth years together so I already have one under my belt. We booked our Debs last year with Debs Ireland way back in September. Once they took the deposit, we didn't hear a word from them and then three weeks before the Debs when most of us were on sixth year holiday, we got a text saying they had double booked, accept their apologies. blah blah
    It was too late to organise anything else so we ended up just going to a crappy hotel.

Don't want to make the same mistake again this year with that crowd. Anybody know of an alternative or good venue?

Tanx! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Our school has Debs for fifth and sixth years together so I already have one under my belt. We booked our Debs last year with Debs Ireland way back in September. Once they took the deposit, we didn't hear a word from them and then three weeks before the Debs when most of us were on sixth year holiday, we got a text saying they had double booked, accept their apologies. blah blah
    It was too late to organise anything else so we ended up just going to a crappy hotel.

Don't want to make the same mistake again this year with that crowd. Anybody know of an alternative or good venue?

Tanx! :)
    Try the old darney lodge, seems to be a great venue with good deals also. Think its like 85 a ticket and that includes food, dj/band, admission to the nightclub and breakfast etc etc,
    My mates 18th is on the night of the debs and there getting him a birthday cake and all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

Sean - which Debs Ireland company was this - there are two http://www.debsireland.com is the one that I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DebsIreland

Hi

Can you let me know if it was us t hat you had the bad experience with. Please let us know and we will try and make it up to you in some way.

Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hi

Can you let me know if it was us t hat you had the bad experience with. Please let us know and we will try and make it up to you in some way.

Sarah

I'm not related to the school in question but I'd love to know how you plan on making it up to maybe 50+ students? If the story is as they say, it looks like you ruined what is a once in a lifetime night.

Speaking as some who organised a debs and is now alot older, the committee in question should seek legal advice on this and let someone older deal with it. I didn't deal with DebsIreland (To be fair heard nothing but good reports til now :) ) but some companies take students for a ride as they are often inexperienced in how business works and prey on their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi

Sarah
    Sarah,

please contact Dav or Darragh at hello@boards.ie re: a commercial user account.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DebsIreland

Hi All

We went back through our records and this incident wasnt related to us as we never double book (just had to confirm)

There are several companies in this space and we are very sensitive to these type of incidents.

Sorry to hear what happened but as they say "it wasnt us guv"

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Everyone excited for the debs this year? In uni now but going to my friends in august, Im as poor as hell so I think ill be wearing the same dress as last year... What do people think about borrowing friends Debs dresses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

Hey

Just basically wondering what people are doing for their debs. where theyre goin etc

Also anyone on debs committees how are ye paying the hotal. ours is asking for the full amount by april and the debs is in July. Is that a bit dodgy? Anyone else had to pay like that?

Finally any feedback from last years debutants :P about their venues etc. any advice or that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Hey, on debs commitee in my school and that sounds right. In our school we the money for the debs is due by friday (we had two installments, one before christmas and the other after. Our debs is at the end of september. So dont worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Our Debs is the end of August, we have to pay before April. It's the norm for most Debs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

It's great to see a Debs thread reminding me of August after the Leavin' instead of a mocks thread :D

Has anyone started to think about their Debs yet?
    I just booked my ticket for grad night in school this morning, which is 15 euro ticket.
    We got into a conversation about it this morning. It feels weird sometimes because so many schools are much better organised than us.
    I go to an all-boys school, very few lads have asked girls yet. I didn't want to ask too early in case I met anyone I wanted to bring more leading up to the Debs but now I intend to ask someone either this month or next. April is the latest I hope to have a date organised.
    Also we don't have to pay anything until May, this feels awkward too as some other schools in our area payed before christmas.
    There's also no word on a Debs committee for my school, all we know is it will be in september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gardengate

hello my debs are on in august and i have no chance of getting a date and we have to pay for it in the next few weeks what will i do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sir123 wrote: »
    Our Debs are on in August and I decided to ask a friend who's a girl to go which was in January. She said she she "didn't know who she wanted to go with yet maybe one of her girl friends " I said ok. Was kinda pissed. Then I found out one of her friends set her up with someone else.
    I don't know who else to ask. All the girls are somewhat going with each other. I thought it was weird at first but seeminly it's kinda common.

I asked one of my friends to ask to set me up with someone. A lot of my friends aren't even going.

I don't know what to do.
    I know I won't get a date even as much as I try. I probably shouldn't even bother going. We have to buy tickets by April. What should I do ?

Is it worth it. I'll have to by 2 tickets maybe. then I know I probably won't find a date.

Anyone in the same boat?
    What happened?
    Thanks.:confused:

Many centuries ago, I also believed I wouldn't get a date. First girl said yes but her bf said "no", which was fair enough :)

Then I asked another girl because all her mates were going. We ended up having a grad enough time. Several months later, I went to another debs and a mate was there with the girl I had brought to the first debs and he ended up snogging my date :rolleyes:

A year later I went to another debs - the girl this time was convinced nobody would want to go & I thought, yay, another night out.

Don't give up hope & if all else fails, just bring another female mate along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

So far we've just done the usual stuff - Band night, Christmas Party etc. There's going to be a "Take Me Out" and an interschool football match too

What are the rest of you doing? Time's running out for fundraising, ideas much needed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

pbffan wrote: »
    So far we've just done the usual stuff - Band night, Christmas Party etc. There's going to be a "Take Me Out" and an interschool football match too

What are the rest of you doing? Time's running out for fundraising, ideas much needed!

Thats a lot of fundraising , how much are tickets like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

We didn't do any fundraising for ours :confused: not that I know of anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've not heard of fundraising for a debs/grands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

We never did any for ours. Only heard of some lenister schools doing it really. Tbh you should be able to get Lady Gaga at this stage. Youd be better off doing one big fundraiser! Dont really see what ye need the money dont tho? Could you explain out of curiosity what you need the money for? The hotel usually pays for the DJ and stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement