Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ALL THINGS DEBS / GRADS!! *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

soup1 wrote: »
    hate to break it to you all but its sh1t.......u eat a sh1t dinner, everyone gets pissed, and then u starve til about 6 the next morning.....biggest anti climax of my school life

...which is why I am more than likely not going to mine. Plus I doubt the night is going to balance the cost of tickets, dress, shoes, etc. I went to my Grads in September which is more or less the same idea as the Debs, with shorter dresses and messier antics. Didn't live up to the hype really.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

mine was in the hudson bay hotel in athlone, meal was at 5pm, food was so ****e, but the venue was a nice place,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

. Plus I doubt the night is going to balance the cost of tickets, dress, shoes, etc.

If you look at it that way, then your right, it won't. But it will be the last big night out with your class, and that alone is priceless. You don't have to spend a fortune to go. I certainly wouldn't view it in monetary terms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

ironclaw wrote: »
    You don't have to spend a fortune to go.

This. 2 debs cost me less than what most girls I know paid for one dress! Find a cheap dress (or get it made - one made cost me €150 incl a tie and got the other for $100 (about €77)), cheap shoes that you can use again (€20), borrow a bag usesome gradual fake tan, do your own make up, take the bus provided. Then all you have left is hair (which you could also do yourself if you wanted) and the actual tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Then all you have left is hair (which you could also do yourself if you wanted) and the actual tickets!

And drink..! :) :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

And drink..! :) :P

I don't drink... :P
    Sure get all the free champagne into you and that's half the night sorted anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TaraP1993

FTS wrote: »
    My friends and I are thinking about our debs, and whether we want a limo or the party bus? How much are each? And which one is better? Thanks.
    Limo is costing us 250 got another quote for 300 4 couples so its not too expensive we have 4 houses to collect people one of which is in the country it didnt seem to matter

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TaraP1993

soup1 wrote: »
    hate to break it to you all but its sh1t.......u eat a sh1t dinner, everyone gets pissed, and then u starve til about 6 the next morning.....biggest anti climax of my school life

Why are you so pesamistic about everything? every thread I come accross you on your negitive, let your hair down every once in a while you might actually enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Well, our Grad is on tonight. I'm just wondering what everyone else does for their grad and was it any good. We're getting photos at 3 o clock then hitting the pub & then the mass is on at around half 6, then back to the pub again after the mass. Should be a good night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Have fun! Ours is tomorrow night in a local hotel because our school is too small. We're having a mass, then lots of food, then the pub I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ours is tonight as well :)
    We're have a dinner in the assembly area with the teachers, then a mass, then we're getting memorial things! Then the pub :p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

We had ours at a nearby hotel last Friday night. Well ours is kinda different. We had a whole school awards ceremony at 8, although it was mostly 6th and 4th years. Then we spent about an hour in the hotel bar with the teachers. (there's only 40 in my year!) Then we went out to the river behind the hotel where we had all the drink hid! Some of the boys moved the drink while we were inside, and we all had sh*t-attacks when we couldn't find the drink. But they got it back for us, we were angry, then laughed then got drunk :D

Then we hit the town via our school, nearly all 40 of us pissshed :p Epic, epic night. I hope yours are all as good!

And then Friday the 3rd, we're going to be the only ones in the school, the rest finish the day before, and there's gonna be a mass. Then we spend a few hours with the teachers, give 'em a few presents and what not, they give us a few, and weather permitting off to the beach for a few cans. If not just a few cans!

Being in such a small school is great. Epic sense of community! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Ours is this friday, i see ye are all having a mass, we are not having any :)
    We are having a party thing in school then heading to the pubs and house party then out to the nightclubs :)

Mass tomorrow in the school then the pub with some teachers..! :)

There will be tears..*

*There already was tears..! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

wheres everyone getting their dress, i've been to loadsa shops and a few websites and can't find any i like... anyone suggest good places to look :)

Google prom dresses and you'll get tonnes and tonnes of American sites! A lot of my friends are getting theirs online from America (me and a few already have!).

You may have to pay customs tax when it arrives at your house but not everybody had to (I was unlucky!). The tax was €50 or so, bringing the total cost to about €230 (inc. postage!). Not bad..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kp70irle

My problem is I'm not going with anyone but would like to go with someone! I'm a lad also. There's a girl that i went out with for a small while but we broke up for no major reason at all and later on she went out with someone else! They've now broken up for about 3 weeks and she has no one to go to the debs with either (I think ).

Just wondering how should I go about asking her if she'd like to go with me? We get on really well by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

"wanna go to the debs together, as friends, like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Our school debs is a disaster, haven't even issued the tickets and the leaving cert is over for half the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

"If you ever wanna see your family alive again, come to prom with me."

All said with a strange but threatening look in your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Its such a pity you didn't put this in the AH forum.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP loads of people go as just friends, so you could suggest it to her - I doubt it would look strange or anything. Providing you specify just as friends, seeing as you have a history with her making the question somewhat awkward!

Check with her ex first. Then just be like 'Hey, do ya wanna go to the debs with me?''....

It's easier if she knows you're gonna ask her so maybe drop hints to her friends... That's what I did and I found it easier when actually asking him because I could start with ''I know you know...'' (we're good friends though so I could get away with that.. Though I avoided him for 3 weeks because it was awkward that he knew I was gonna ask him..! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

what.to.do wrote: »
    "wanna go to the debs together, as friends, like?"

No don't say "as friends".

Ask her "would you like to go to the Debs with me?".

Its better to make it plain and simple than to try and make her feel unpressurized. I've done this before and all it does is it comes across as trying too hard.

Relax and be yourself, thats what girls like in us lads the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

karaokeman wrote: »
    Relax and be yourself, thats what girls like in us lads the most.

How can you be so sure? Everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

"So what's your name?"

"Erm.. step 1.. be yourself.. Um, Father Dougal Maguire!"

*next day*

"Dougal, what did you say to her anyway?"

"Well, you told me to be myself.."

"No! Be yourself is just something people say! Never be yourself around women! Never ever ever ever ever!!"

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

joshrogan wrote: »
    Our school debs is a disaster, haven't even issued the tickets and the leaving cert is over for half the people.

Post? Thats what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Debs? Called the grad here in the midlands, nobody says debs.
    Not that it matters of course

Ask her straight OP, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

mikemac wrote: »
    Debs? Called the grad here in the midlands, nobody says debs.

It's the debs in Dublin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Debs in Wexford too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement