Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ALL THINGS DEBS / GRADS!! *

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

brian93 wrote: »
    I know ye were all waiting patiently to hear from me and my suit hunt! Rented it today :)

Black suit, white shirt, silvery white waistcoat, and a darker silver tie. It looks gooooood!

Your one came with me, and we think the tie will match her white dress with diamonds and silver accesories, but sure Penneys have ties if it comes to it :p She also spilled a strawberry smoothie all over the floor, and on some waistcoats! :pac:
    Her mom's really excited too, she's even bought some champagne :D

My boyfriends mother was a bit like that. My mum didn't care at all. His wanted the matching tie, the champagne, the pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

The dress I ordered for my friends debs arrived yesterday!! :D

Pity the debs was two weeks ago. Ah well, it was €16 well spent.

To the lads, River Island has some lovely suits at the moment. A fair few seem to be buying them, but if yous aren't too fussy about the same/similar suits as the next person... Go there. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Aoifums wrote: »
    These are they http://ie.schuh.co.uk/womens-silver-red-or-dead-shirley-glitter/1164527660
    They look soooo tacky in that photo :o They work with the dress because it's midnight blue and very plain as is/will everything else.

the red ones are like Dorthy shoes from the wizard of oz!! ;) hehe. the silver ones are nice though!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Looks like I'll be going alone. :( Kinda dreading it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

nommm wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be going alone. :( Kinda dreading it now.

Please don't worry about going alone :) Imagine in 10 years when your life is completely different, do you really think this is going to matter in the slightest? Of course not! So just don't worry, think of all the craic you're going to be having with your friends on a fun/drunken/fancy as heck night out! :D I'm in college now, but last year loads of girls came without dates because they wanted to enjoy their night out with their friends without having to worry about having to entertain other people! Just go with the flow, be gorgeous and have fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Anyone want two tickets to a debs hawhaw? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tillyod

Is going to the debs alone normal?? Im really thinking about just doing that istead of the hassel!!! A bit worried about photo time tho :S

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

tillyod wrote: »
    Is going to the debs alone normal?? Im really thinking about just doing that istead of the hassel!!! A bit worried about photo time tho :S

Yes! Going alone is grand, most people get their photos, eat dinner with their date, then don't see each other for a lot of the night. I almost wish now that I had just bought one ticket, but my boyfriend kind of invited himself, so I couldn't say no. I'd love to just have a night with my friends! Don't worry about photos, just take lots with your friends and enjoy the fact that you don't have to worry about an extra person getting drunk, not knowing anyone, etc ;)

tillyod wrote: »

I thought the photo situation was when everyone in the year queued up to get their nice formal photos taken, but its nothing like that! There around 200 people around, walking, drinking, laughing, nobody notices the photographer pretty much. They just remember at the last minute, run over to the photographer corner thats cut off and get it done quickly, you have no idea if anyone got their photo taken or not!

ALSO HELP PLEASE? Im going as a friend to another friends debs, we're both girls. Im going to buy her a corsage just to be nice! How much are they? Do I have to order it in advance? Her dress is red, do I have to get an according flower or whats the story?

ALSO HINT: My debs was at the Newgrange Hotel last year. They search your bags, and they feel up the lads. So the only way to sneak drink in is to tape it to your leg. I would very much advise to sneak in a naggin or something, because the place is a RIP OFF. But the only good thing is they dont ID anyone, which was great for me and all my friends, being 17 and 16 in some cases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

muffinz wrote: »
    I thought the photo situation was when everyone in the year queued up to get their nice formal photos taken,

Depends on the hotel and the photographer and what the organising committee decided on.

Typically, when the buses arrive, it's in through security and queue for the photographs ~ most photographers will have taken a deposit, some of your ticket price may include the deposit for the photographer, they will want to get everyone.

As you mention they are usually screen off or even in another room with only the couple or small groups that actually want to be together.

Sometimes the photographer works on spec, and is only paid if you go to him/her

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I just mean as in she doesnt have to feel embarrassed if shes afraid people will be like "omg your not getting a photo". Half my friends didnt bother getting a photo taken because they were too busy drinking. Or, she could get a group photo with her friends? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Anyone know wheres the best place to look for debs dresses in Dublin I haven't started looking. I am this week but I haven't got a clue where to start looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

Anyone know wheres the best place to look for debs dresses in Dublin I haven't started looking.

Coast is a good place to go, last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago) they had a sale and all. There's one in Dundrum, probably in other parts of town too but don't live in Dublin so not sure. Brown Thomas stock it as well and they have a good summer sale too.

I would definitely suggest trying somewhere like H&M as well. You'd be surprised at the lovely dresses and they're cheap too! I saw a lovely wine colour one in there, was quite keen on it but it was almost the same as my grad dress.

Let us know how you got on :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Coast is a good place to go, last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago) they had a sale and all. There's one in Dundrum, probably in other parts of town too but don't live in Dublin so not sure. Brown Thomas stock it as well and they have a good summer sale too.

I would definitely suggest trying somewhere like H&M as well. You'd be surprised at the lovely dresses and they're cheap too! I saw a lovely wine colour one in there, was quite keen on it but it was almost the same as my grad dress.

There's also that shop Julien in Stephens Green who have nice stuff soemtimes!

And TK Maxx can be great for dresses!

anyone know where to get a wine red tie??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Thank I will I think I'm looking on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just wondering if your just going to the afters of the Debs do they ask for ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Afters? :confused: It's all the same thing, meal + dancing in the same area! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

Depends, where you are going. The place we're crashing wants ID or permission from underagers parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Does everyone have their debs on the same night or different schools on different nights? and when is debs..like mid august? just wondering..im in 3rd year. One more question whre do debs go on, does everyone from a few certain schools go to a certain common venue or what? Or does debs go on in your own school hall, nd say if your goin with a girl do you go to her school or yours?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Does everyone have their debs on the same night or different schools on different nights? and when is debs..like mid august? just wondering..im in 3rd year. One more question whre do debs go on, does everyone from a few certain schools go to a certain common venue or what? Or does debs go on in your own school hall, nd say if your goin with a girl do you go to her school or yours?
    thanks

Different nights for different schools usually. :)

They usually take place at the end of August/start of September!

They usually take place in local hotels, in an area where weddings would normally be held!

If you're going out with someone, and she's in a different school, you'd go to both debs if you each wanted to bring eachother!

they will ask for I.D
    in some places they give a wrist band to ppl underage and they can get into the club..but can't order drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

xaoifsx wrote: »
    in some places they give a wrist band to ppl underage and they can get into the club..but can't order drink!
    Doesn't sound exactly fool-proof, unless they strap and lock it onto your wrist.

Remember y'all, no advocating the use of fake IDs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Afters? :confused: It's all the same thing, meal + dancing in the same area! :confused:

Ya but there are full tickets and afters tickets. Full is for the meal + dancing and afters is for the dancing :)
    They will ask for I.D

Ok thanks :(
    So I should get in anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

jumpguy wrote: »
    Doesn't sound exactly fool-proof, unless they strap and lock it onto your wrist.

I would imagine it'd be the other way around, people with ID get a wristband or a stamp, those with none get nothing.

Bartenders didn't care at my debs either way though.

jumpguy wrote: »

well..maybe its a stamp or something.. well.. the hotel is just covering their asses saying that they checked I.D and its not their fault if they get access to drink..
    i thought it was really nice for them to do that!!
    Ok thanks :(
    So I should get in anyway! :)

well, i did say not everywhere does it. our hotel was extremely nice about the underage thing.. talk about it with your debs committee.. i was on ours and one of our priorities was to make sure that everyone cud get into the nightclub after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

anyone know where to get a wine red tie??

Try the tie rack in st.stephens green shopping centre

irish_man wrote: »
    Try the tie rack in st.stephens green shopping centre

unforch i have to make a trip up to dublin for that.. itll have to do though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

they will ask for I.D

In our one, everyone over 18 will get a wristband...and if anyone wearing a wristband is caught drinking, they will be thrown out. It seems a bit excessive...but I suppose the law is the law. They're generally lax about these things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Different nights for different schools usually. :)

They usually take place at the end of August/start of September!

They usually take place in local hotels, in an area where weddings would normally be held!

If you're going out with someone, and she's in a different school, you'd go to both debs if you each wanted to bring eachother!

my debs is tomorrow cant wait :D were going to the school first to get pictures and stuff and then were going to a hotel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement