Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Dialup/ISP

Options
  • 31-08-2002 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

NTL Dialup/ISP
    Anyone switched to NTL dialup recently. Whats the speed like during the free times at the weekend etc. I reckon it could be a lot cheaper than my current dial up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

NTL are no longer taking people on to this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Any idea why? Its still listed on their website. How come I can live in Dublin, be on and close enough to a local Exchange that is enabled for Eircom iStream, but my line can't handle iStream, (they couldn't tell me why) no one esle does broadband in this area, so my only choice is an expensive dial up or ISDN which gives me 20% extra band width for 200% extra cost.

Rip off Ireland strikes again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fergal

ISDN is worth the extra cost. Its only €15 extra a month for a vastly better connection. Try testing your line in a months time for adsl. I failed my first test but passed the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

ISDN is worth it if you use it for what its good at.
    ie
    1- much much better game pings.
    2- the dloads are about 35% faster. (on single line. up to 3 times on both. yer dbl cost tho)(taken 5kb/s for 56k and 7.5+ for isdn)
    3- u hardly ever get disconnected and u normal log on 1st time every time.

so if u do long dloads, play games or ur cut off a lot on 56k get ISDN. For me it was well worth it. If you use it for those reasons then you'll prob get your monies save money in the long run. (very long run with eircom)

However if ur still hoping to gel dsl dont take ISDN cos extra costs to switch back etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Actually thats something to think about. I'm getting a good connection 45.5 on dialup with vianetworks(formally clubi) with no problems with connections or being the line being dropped. The main problem is the phone bill because I use it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

vianetworks(clubi) are very very good. Use them on ISDN a lot ;)
    it has to be really seeing as its a sub account :D

Advertisement