Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HW Compatibilty

• 31-08-2002 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

i'm upgrading my pc with an upgrade kit consisting of :

AMD XP1800+;

MSI KT3 ULTRA2 mainboard for Socket A
    VIAKT333, ATA/133;

256mb DDR;

Including fan

and a new hard drive:
    a 3.5" IBM Deskstar 40gb ide 7200RPM

and i was just wondering would it work with my exsisting computer a compaq presario 5240 which is about 2-4 years old

and would i need to get a new power supply

P.S
    Do u think i should start a new computer instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Uuuh it's either two OR four shurely shome mishtake... or else they took a long time building it!

As to is it compatible.... you'd have to open up the pc and see if the mobo + bits will fit for a start. Having not seen the inside, I'd guess at no. In the same situation, I whipped out the bits I needed out of a compaq and started anew. Compaq try and design you out of upgrading your pc without going through them you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah, a friend of mine has a 2 year old Compaq machine.

There isn't room for a full sized ATX motherboard in it. The IDE cables supplied only had one Header meaning he had to get a new one (from me) to put in a CDRW drive.

If you do try to cram it in You would almost definitelyy need a new PSU. An Athlon system really should be run on a reasonable 300 Watt PSU or higher.

Personally I'd reccomend getting a new case (with 300 Watt PSU and a bit more expansion room), Floppy, Keyboard, Mouse etc. You'll pick up all these bits without spending too much money and you'll also have a more spacious case with newer parts. Reuse whatever CD/DVD drives you have in the Presario (if they're good) and throw in an old CD-ROM drive.

Since you're getting some decent new kit you might as well put the extra few euro into the machine and buy some decent stuff.

The old Presario is also probably worth more to you as either an intact second machine or sold as an intact item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Genesis

i don't really know when we got it so i ment that as around 4 years ago (Slutmonkey :D )

After reading all u're comments i think i might aswell start anew but i don't have any more money to buy a new good cd drive so i will wait till christmas instead to make it

what other parts do u think i should rob from my old computer if any???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The old compaq is 99% likely to have a built - in GFX card so you'll need to get a new one of those (Komplett.ie, get a ti4200 for less than you'd spend in the shops on a crappy MX). Check the inside and see first. But really, all you're going to need from that pc is the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive (with all its precious info) - you can just cable this up and copy all the data once your new machine is up if you don't want to keep using it - and you might as well keep the CD drive if you can wrench it out of the case, mine was basically riveted so I had to abandon it.
    CD drive speed only becomes really an issue when you're installing games, so you can probably hobble along till chrimbo with the one you've got.

Advertisement