Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do?

Options
  • 31-08-2002 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I am a fully in support for Ireland Offline and its aims. Currently i have been e-mailing Intel, Hewlette Packard, Eircom, EsatBT about getting broadband for Leixlip.

Is there anything else i can do to help the community (I.e. rallys, survey's) any ideas?

And if you reading this and in my shoes too not knowing what you can do, read the replies and HELP!

Uncle IOFFL needs YOU!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's a bit late so I won't be as thorough as I could (read "should") be but for a start you could get in contact with your TDs, as well as our new Minister for all things electronic (and fish). They may have little influence at cabinet (or inner cabinet*) level but every informative complaining letter is a step in the right direction.

Rather than just writing a simple letter or phoning just with the points that Ireland is underdeveloped with regard to internet connectivity it would probably help if you were armed with a few simple facts and figures about how Ireland *is* behind in the Internet age (partly to counteract the "but aren't we the e-hub of Europe, answer me that"), as well as to hammer home the point that you know exactly what's going on with regard to the government's lethargy on the issue.

Most of the facts and points are here in the forum but I'll happily put some things together for you if you like - PM me if I can be of any help at all.

There's a thread currently on the front page weeding out thoughts on a rally - obviously feel free to post with thoughts. The (finished) survey is available from the irelandoffline website (as with all the other news) - I'm guessing there are no plans for another any time soon but the results at least make interesting reading (and should do for your local parish pump as well)

*Bertie, Charlie McCreevy, two civil servants and one spin doctor, or so I'm told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

As sceptre says, email your local TDs. If you have had replies from the companies you have mentioned, refer to them in your correspondence. At the local TD level there is no need to go into any great analysis, but simply point out that there is a lack of decent services in your area. Make it clear that you are a constituent of theirs and explain to them your need for these services (eg. educational, telecommuting, running a business, etc.)

From past experience, it looks as though about half the TDs don't read or reply to emails. If this is the case, then post them a letter or FAX them. You could also arrange to meet them in person at their constituency clinic. Find out where they stand on these issues and what they think can be done. Ask them what they think has gone wrong. Do they think there will be economic consequences if the current situation continues. Get them to ask questions in the Dail.

Any responses can be discussed here and this will help maintain a dialog with TDs and encourage others to do likewise.

The cumulative effect many people pressing for change with their elected representatives will be substantial. This is the real key to success. Don't be discouraged by fob-off replies, keep the pressure up. Correct them on their mistakes. Over time things will change.

Advertisement