Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCR with Teletext?

• 31-08-2002 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Say you have a tv without teletext, I was wondering if it is possible to get a video recorder with teletext function.....?

or am i mad, and its not possible..... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think it's called teletext for a reason ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Repli
    I think it's called teletext for a reason ;)

ach you know what I mean.... its just for a matter of interest... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(shoot me down here if I'm wrong, please)

Wouldn't work afaik. The text decoding has to be done by the TV (as it receives the 25 frames a second including the text one) - the VCR won't ever provide more than a pass through function wrt watching anything save an VCR OSD on the box. It's just a small chip inside the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I don't see why not! My computer has teletext for example. As long as you have a television signal being pumped into a devise there is no reason why it shouldn't be able to avail of teletext presuming it has hardware to deal with it.

However since all VCR's need a TV and since all tvs usually have TT it's not likely you're ever going to find a VCR that performs this function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Is the channel name only carried in teletext? If so, then my Philips vcr does 'read' the text signal as it auto detects the channel names.

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Most new VCR's can determine the channel ID now from teletext headers, I assume. But that's about it. They don't allow you to view TT pages etc.

There are very few TVs nowadays that don't include TT. It's a standard now really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The VCR has no need for teletext. All it does is record the images on the signal and not the text. Modern televisions (Like Mine :D ) can actucully program the VCR can visa versa. Its only until tehe next generation of vcr comes out that you may be able to record teletext.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Winters
    Its only until tehe next generation of vcr comes out that you may be able to record teletext.

There are a few of those out already (don't have any details to hand though) - useful for recording subtitles (nothing to do with close-captioning - it actually does record the page 888 feed). Still need a teletext Tv to view them with what's out already though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

VHS VCRs that record teletext do exist but they're not common and probably quite expensive. Their primary market is the deaf community. I think the feature is a bit more common in SVHS recorders. More expensive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

My VCR reads the time from the teletext so i guess it wouldnt be much of a stretch to say this would be possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement