Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short circuited mobo question

• 31-08-2002 5:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Right long story short. Managed to short circuit my mobo by scratching it (dont ask). The memory errr is gone as it reached well over 50 degrees with 3 seconds of power and even got some of the dimm port (?) melted into it.

Now my question is. Is my cpu alright? ive checked it for scorch marks etc and all seems fine....

Ive already ordered more ram and a new mobo and was wondering if i could try this cpu in that new mobo without risking it if the cpu is indeed fooked too.

I was told by someone that there is a chance but its not huge.
    can you confirm plz?

another quick question. is it very bad to mix 512mb pc3200 and 128mb pc2100? (am getting pc2100 ram to stick in the mobo when im testing it to see if my cpu works. Dont wanna fry 200 euros worth of ram as well as a new mobo. mobo is only cheap ;) )

Thanks for any help folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

When I fried my motherboard all that died was the ... mobo. But mine was only a very quick short, it powered off instantly. A friend of mine had his modem & board die, but again it shorted and powered off.

I wouldn't worry about putting fried components into your new board, it will beep if somethign is wrong. I'd even try the old memory, unless it looks physically burnt! Though you'd be taking the advice of someone who's already fried one perfectly good computer :)

As far as the new memory goes, I think it should default to the slowest module you have installed, and if not the board will beep if it doesn't like what you've put in it!

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

i was under the impression that bad ram can easily **** up a mobo while a bad cpu has less change of it messing it up.

im just worried that ill end up with a lot of bad stuff ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you've bought the pc2100 for testing then just use it for testing, no point mixing the two when there's no need. It shouldn't cause any problems, but if you do have problems getting things up and running it'd be one more thing to have to fiddle with.

Throw out the old ram (melting is bad), whack in the cpu and the testing ram, and change the bios on the first startup to a low FSB/clock ratio so you don't overstress the chip. If everything is happy, whack in the rest, if not a new CPU is only a few days away by courier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

so if the cpu is faulty it wont mess up the mobo?
    alright thanks for advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i have seen a pci card on one of our servers go up in flames and all parts worked fine bar the pci card and the mobo.

It was really funny to see flames shoooting out of a pci slot, guy guy who was working the system still hasent lived it down. We keep handing him the fire extingwisher! ( Spelling i know ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

It's always going to be a risk. If the CPU is damaged such that it shorts Vcc to ground, you'll make rather a large number of amps heat the delicate tracks of your motherboard rather quicky, probably breaking the VRM as it overloads.

Advertisement