Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6310i and my laptop

• 31-08-2002 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Bought myself a spanking new Toshiba Satellite 5100-503 the other day and recently upgraded to a 6310i.. herein lies my problem.

When using the Connection Manager supplied on the CD with my phone I cant connect to the phone via bluetooth. My laptop has got built in bluetooth as opposed to an add-on PCMCIA card. I can get a connection via infra-red no problem. If I click on the bluetooth connection icon in the Nokia Connection Manager it gives me a fairly generic error message - Operation Failed (error code: 8004320A). I thought I'd post something here before I go mental and eat my phone.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi rymus,

I set up a Toshiba Bluetooth PC Card (think it uses the same configuration manager Toshiba Bluetooth Service Centre?) the for a guy I worked with a few weeks ago, once paired with the phone, and authorized, in the Toshiba Bluetooth Service Centre, you need to determine the Bluetooth COM port the Dial-Up Networking uses to connect to the phone from your machine. If you double click and establish a Dial-Up Networking Link this should tell you which COM port is in use (status bar at bottom or clicking one of the icons that displays the active connections - can't recall off the top of my head?). Once you get the COM port identified, you assign the (Bluetooth) Modem driver port to this (in modem's control panel). Then you can create a Windows dial-up-networking profile to this modem.

To do dial-up networking we had to create the Bluetooth Dial-Up-Networking link first (in Tosh Bluetooth service centre) and then Use the windows dial-up-networking profile for his ISP. He was using an Ericsson so all the connections for GPRS and HSCSD were stored on the phone. On the Nokia you should be able to use the Nokia Modem Control Panel to set-up the type of connection you want. (alternatively manually write the init strings on the modem (driver) configurations, or for GPRS set up them up in the handset's GPRS Modem settings and activate the one you before 'dialing-up').

If you are still having no joy... check you are using the latest software version on your 6310i, type in *#0000#
    make sure software version (top line) is: V 4.80

if the phone is under warranty (under 1 year from purchase) and you identify a problem the upgrade fixes the update is free (you should bring along proof of purchase). Depending on the nokia service point you may have to send it away, the telephone centre on dawson st dublin can do it on the spot (or a call back later service).

Relevant Bluetooth Fixes (from V4.07 to V4.80):
    Interoperability:
    BT compatibility with Compaq Ipaq, Palm m130/m505 and Toshiba BT SD card improved
    BT interoperability improvement: BT compatible with Toshiba Portege 4000
    Improved stability in BT connected notebook suspend scenarios Misc. Bluetooth:
    Improved dialog 'pairing' of identically named devices
    Improvement dealing with multiple BT devices
    Flag to hide Bluetooth functionality in all menus (Israel variant)
    Setup of dialup network connections while in alarm snooze enabled

Hope that was some help,
    Brian G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Thanks for the reply DubWireless, twas very informative. After some fiddling around and reading a couple of websites I managed to get bluetooth working when using the phone as a modem. Its working despite the fact that I can only get a 9.6k/sec connection (must fiddle with the strings a bit). I have the Nokia Modem Driver set to 43k/sec but still 9.6k is all I get..

Cant get bluetooth working with the Nokia Connection Manager at all but apparently thats cos it will only work with the now extinct Nokia bluetooth card. Thats not so much of an issue tho cos I can use the IR port for the PC suite.

Anyway my main concern now is getting the modem speed up to maximum. HSCSD is enabled on my account (at least it was when I had a 6210) so thats not the problem. Time for some messin around when I get home methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

it could be modem init strings - ring support?
    if you get them and it turns out that is what is wrong, can you post them up? just got my 6310i, havent a chance to setup the modem yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by rymus
    Cant get bluetooth working with the Nokia Connection Manager at all but apparently thats cos it will only work with the now extinct Nokia bluetooth card.

i was well miffed when i tried to use the PC Suite applications over a Bluetooth connection for the 6310 (and same problem with the 6310i) first time and subsequently found out i couldn't do it with out the (ex Nokia DLT-4) Socket Bluetooth card.

ref: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=62174

even with the PC Suite 4.81 version that includes a new version of the connection monitor it still wants the DLT-4 / Socket Card

been reading through the nokia forums etc, looking for a "workaround", there are plenty of annoyed people asking why they can't connect using the Pc Suite software to their own bluetooth adapters / hardware....

the 7650 has a 'conduit' application (MRouter) that allows you to use alternative bluetooth adapters, but it's a bit flakey :(

Originally posted by rymus
    Anyway my main concern now is getting the modem speed up to maximum. HSCSD is enabled on my account (at least it was when I had a 6210) so thats not the problem. Time for some messin around when I get home methinks.

With the Nokia 6310i (Bluetooth) modem installed, and making sure the Port the Modem is using is the correct Bluetooth Port for Dial-Up Networking (see first post).

Using the Nokia Modem Options from Window's Control Panel you should see the Bluetooth version of the driver, select it and set your "GSM Connection" slider to the required HSCSD speed.

P.S.: If the Nokia Bluetooth Modem isn't installed, the easiest way to do this is install the Phone's Modem Setup Software, do an infrared install (or on a PC without IR do a cable install - you can remove it later), this pushes all the modem drivers into the Windows driver DB. You can then add the Bluetooth Modem through the Modem Control Panel, by manually fining the Nokia group and selecting the Nokia 6310i (Bluetooth) version.

HTH,
    Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've read all the threads that the search option threw up for me, and forgive me if I'm still a little confused; some of these posts are a little dated and things may have changed...

I have a Dell inspiron with inbuilt bluetooth, Toshiba I think, and I can connect to the laptop fine to use the phone as a dial-up modem etc. but for the life of me I cannot connect the phone to the Nokia PC Suite. Am I doing something basic wrong, or is it actually impossible to connect your phone simply to your bluetooth-enabled computer?

Any help appreciated...

bru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is this thread defunct?

Advertisement