Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rte foootie coverage

• 31-08-2002 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭

One things thats really pissed me off about the RTE coverage is the fact that at the start of the show they show little clips of th matches and they have the score in the top left hand corner.

I thought it was an honest mistake last week but they did it again this week and its really annoying.

who do i email about this ne1? :X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its exactly that lack of attention to detail that marks RTE out!

I imagine if you wander over to the rte web site and follow the lead to sport and or presentation dept you might find an e-mail
    link.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

soccer@rte.ie is the nearest I can find.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes it is very annoying when they do that. you can always miss the 1st few minutes of the programme or close your eyes when they show them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

i never remember in time tho. I have my face looking eagerly at the screen and my eyes automatically check top left when i see something there for the score.

ive mailed em about it now. hope whoever gets it passes it on to the right dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I emailed them about this too - it's pure fu<king stupidity on their parts. I used premiership@rte.ie as that's the address that O'Herlihy usually gives out at the end of the show.

Anyone else that this pi$$es off (and there must be lots) mail them and they might get the point!

• Advertisement

well i sent one to soccer@rte.ie and asked them to forward it to whom it may concern. They should get it.
    I'll be very surprised if they make that mistake next week. Only time will tell however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In that first place, what is the point in RTE wasting public money on English football when the product offered by an English station that everyone has access to is better?

If RTE had exclusive Irish rights to the Premiership then fair enough, but apart from the dinner time slot, a few hours ahead of UTV, whats the point?

I prefer the English version as well cos its longer and better done.
    However its on too late as im usually busy at night on a saturday ;)

I have my dinner, watch 'The Premiership' then go out.
    They are competing with UTV and cos of the time slot they have it in, will get a fair few irish ppl watching it. If you get a decent sized audience they can make money from it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbabazi

...but wouldn't RTÉ have been better off covering the eircom League with a semblance of respect? League of Ireland football has never been covered with anything near consistency, passion or respect by our national broadcaster. The public service remit of RTÉ espouses a recognition of its requirement to support Irishness, Irish culture, etc. but its treatment of eircom League soccer, by no means up to the standard of skill in top European Leagues but a fantastic standalone product in a soccer-mad country, is shambolic and indecent. When it does bother showing games, TV audiences wildly vary from a quarter of a million down to around 80,000.

The average audience for the 2000-01 season for a live game was 110,000 while the soccer show got just over that figure. However, the Sunday night highlights show of last year got well over 200,000 watching Dundalk and Kilkenny in the 1/4 finals of the FAI Cup, by no means a glamour tie, and substantially higher than the previous nights Premiership, which had something like 150,000 viewers. RTÉ have the resources to extensively cover the AIB AIL rugby league, and do so, despite its lower ratings and the lower general interest, but, according to press reports, refused to show ANY eircom League soccer in the negotiations with the FAI that eventually led to the much-heralded Sky deal.

For a League that has improved immensely in terms of standards of play, professionalism, fitness and facilities, RTÉ's contempt towards it is crushing to clubs and fans starved of the media exposure necessary for the development of a League which everyone in the country can start to support. RTÉ pay huge sums for coverage of the Premiership but would easily achieve twice the viewing figures with properly-covered, properly-advertised eircom League games which they receive for free.

I only hope, although am pessimistic, that TV3 can do a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I watch it on ITV too (Its an English game why not?) ... hadn't even noticed the RTE scrote thing!

• Advertisement

i hate ITV's coverage. it may be longer but all those ads. as i mentioned in another thread i tend to stick with Sky Sports on the sunday morning. so much better than everyone else

what times the Sky SPorts one on at and whcih sports channel?

11.30 am - Sky Sports 1

i am almost positive their is a repeat later on but i'm not 100% sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I think RTE should spend that money on local coverage and for International football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Mbabazi
    ...but wouldn't RTÉ have been better off covering the eircom League with a semblance of respect? League of Ireland football has never been covered with anything near consistency, passion or respect by our national broadcaster.

I only hope, although am pessimistic, that TV3 can do a lot better.

Well said that man. Spot on, on every count.

If you look around there is a bit of a backlash to the overbearing 'God I'm so cool, I support Unoited/Orsenul/Liverpool' pretentiousness that has really been pushed by the global media bucks. Sport is too precious to be treated as just another globalised commodity like the Big Mac or Coke a Cola.

I quite enjoy reading Eamon McCann's Tribune column where he regularly extolls the simple pleasures of supporting Derry City at the Brandywell (and having been there, believe me they are simple pleasures)

The thing that most annoys me about the FAI's deal with Sky is that it simply exacerbates the tendency among Irish soccer fans to support the English Premiership, and how encouraging people from Cork, Mayo or Dublin to refer to Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool as 'we' is furthering the cause of Irish soccer is beyond me.

Go the boys!! Keep it local. The FA premiership should be an exotic treat, not something that we can pretend is 'ours'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I just want to say that the soccer show was a complete joke and only helped to increase the 'amateurish' reputation of the EL. The soccer show was in essence just a mismash of 3 guys yapping away in a pub (great message to kids!) interspliced with the occasional interview and a bit of schoolboy footy just to fill up an hour.

What is needed is a 30 minute weekly show (with a fixed timeslot) along the same format as Saturday night Premiership shows that give the highlights from all 5 top flight matches during the previous week in the EL. This would boost the profile of the clubs and making stars out of players in the league that punters can actually identify with.

Also, showing an entire EL match once a month is not the answer either because A) when casual viewers know a match is on they aren't going to pay into the ground to see it and B) when they rate a full 90 minutes of an EL match against perhaps the best ten minutes of a match featured on the premiership they are obviously going to get a distorted view of the quality in the EL and write it off as complete rubbish when in fact it of a reasonable standard.

>Also, showing an entire EL match once a month is not the answer

In conjunction with a weekely highlights programme (Tv3, Mondays I believe), it will begin to yield results, provided the right games are picked. Bohs-Shels in Nove,ber should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I think that resources should be concentrated on the highlights show rather than live games. I'd be more concerned about TV3 showing highlights from all the premier division games every week than about them showing the odd live game.

Yeah you are right, but as far as I know, TV3 have NO outside broadcast units. Now I know most of the games will be on in Dublin anyway, and they can probably buy Derry homes from ITV, but I can't see them getting to Longford and Cork in the same weekend, for example. I can't see them having the goals from ALL games every week, but obviously one or two would be an improvement on the current situation. And they can't buy footage from the clubs themselves, its very messy, Unions etc become involved. Its not going to be much better than RTE IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Just on the subject of the innadequacies of The Premiership, even if one tapes something over the corner of the TV (I do this with BBC coverage of sports while there are Premiership games on as well), the damn narration gives everything away before you see it.

For example, before showing the Man City match where Anelka got 3, the narration started off something like "Anelka had yet to score in the Premiership..."! It is just shoddy on the whole. To show goals as well rpior to the match is also shambolic.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bateman
    TV3 have NO outside broadcast units.

(Damned if this is going back to the original topic:D ) TG4 don't either but they hired some other crowd to show Celtic League rugby games in Munster. I assume that TV3 could manage something similar. Maybe the FAI could help them out ;).
    And they can't buy footage from the clubs themselves, its very messy, Unions etc become involved.

I didn't know that. That's a pity. In Drogheda on Friday I heard that they were planning to do something along those lines.

Well the clubs themselves can show the goals to their own audiences, as Bohs do in Dalymount (easy when a club has its own ground and bars), its a nice way of showing the fans what they missed.

I missed TV3's coverage of last Friday night's games, but heard it was poor. We can only hope that the service improves with experience.

Back on topic ;)

Rte once again had the scores in but at least it didnt show nething major this time. Still do RTE not listen to is viewers? gah what a silly question, course they dont.

i noticed it too and also some of the games on the programme had no score in the corner at all. if they can't get pictures without the score they could surely blur it out at the start of the programme

yer. it doesnt take a lot of effort ffs.
    It takes them seconds to stick up the score during the live game. wouldn'y say its that hard to blur it out :(

RTE Sport seem to generally be a shower of shítes, and if at all possible, I watch English highlights on any other channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Pats beat cork 4-1 last nite and I saw tv cameras at richmond for the first time this season bar the intertoto when the away teams cameras we there

There was one TV camera at the very top of the gantry, and spectacularly, it somehow managed to miss Cork's goal. Inept. You could not make it up. Lets hope this is not the sign of things to come.

Originally posted by Bateman
    There was one TV camera at the very top of the gantry, and spectacularly, it somehow managed to miss Cork's goal. Inept. You could not make it up. Lets hope this is not the sign of things to come.

And that was a free kick as well so they could hardly have been taken by surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Guess they must have taken some notice as the score was not present on the intro and pre-ad break clips tonight.

i avoided the pre show clips. The pre ad clip i saw the arsenal score tho 5 mins in.

Cant comment on the start as i said :/

Advertisement