Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Modem

Options
  • 31-08-2002 8:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering getting ADSL but I'm not paying what ridiculous amout Eircom are asking for the modem, so I assume I can buy my own? Going for the cheapest one I-Stream opton, €107 a month.

So can anybody give me advice on a good ADSL modem that will work, or somewhere where I can get one?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fergal

Eircom force you to buy one of their modems. I had intented to buy a PCI modem from the UK, but Eircom told me that was not possible. In the end I bought the ethernet modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I know someone who bought their own Modem.
    Are you sure they didn't just talk you into it?
    As for which modem, do a search on the forum someone has allready listed whats required and the settings that you need to enter when you get your own modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

When I ordered ADSL I was asked if I wanted to purchase a modem from Eircom or supply my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Fergal
    Eircom force you to buy one of their modems. I had intented to buy a PCI modem from the UK, but Eircom told me that was not possible. In the end I bought the ethernet modem.
    If you push the issue, they let you use your own modem on the Enhanced service. Once you're on the Enhanced service you can ask Eircom to switch you to either of the cheaper plans at any time at no extra cost.

I got a PCI modem for roughly 80 euro including VAT. I figure the difference in cost between the modem I got and the one they would have me buy will cover the extra price of the uncapped Enhanced service for a month or so (nearly seven months had you planned to use the Multi service with the expensive 4-port ethernet modem and slightly less unreasonable cap).

Advertisement