Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most influential album of all time

Options
  • 01-09-2002 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

What in your eyes is the most infulential album and artist aswell.
    Over to you in the studio:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

couldnt you have offered an opinion???

hmmm...i suppose ya hear a lot of bands today saying stuff like black sabbath and thin lizzy and iron maiden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Well, a lot of people say the beatles are the most influential artist. but i would say the album that has influeneced what i play and how i play is appetite for destruction and ratm
    but im not to sure i probably have been influenced far more by all the classical music i listened to until i was about 12

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd imagine that a general consensus would have albums like Zeppelin IV and Black Sabbath up there.

It was never going to be Sticky Fingers, was it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

For me personally, Appetite For Destruction. Man, I'm starting to get sick of saying "Appetite For Destruction".

But generally, I think Sabbath, Zeppelin and Hendrix completely changed how rock music was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Personally there are a few:
    Gong - Camembert Electrique
    Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
    Type O Negative - World Coming Down
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Blur - Blur

In history I'd say Presley, Beatles, Sabbath, Hendrix, Stones, Pistols, and Dylan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Metallica's "Black Album" changed the way I looked at music forever.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Metallica's "Black Album" changed the way I looked at music forever.

Not much in the visuals there, with the "Smell The Glove" cover and all. How about listening to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Robbo

Not much in the visuals there, with the "Smell The Glove" cover and all. How about listening to it?

"Youd want to see what they wanted to put on the cover, and believe me, and it wasnt a glove she was smelling."

As for the topic, are you talking about Popular Music in general or just 'rock/metal'.

Take your pick from Peppers/Revolver/Pet Sounds/etc etc
    from a more metal point of view, LZ IV/Are you Experienced/Paranoid.

Me own personal most influential albums, Puppets/Justice, The Stone Roses debut, Dark Side of the Moon, Music for the Jilted generation, Screamadelica and (begrudgingly) Nevermind.

Appetite is a brilliant album but its so transparently derivitive, im not sure how it can be called influential on any other basis than a call to arms.

Appetite was a huge influence on me because it was the album that I listened to that really made me want to pick up a guitar.

Ever since I was very young I wanted to play guitar but never really got motivated. But when I heard Appetite, it was like "Goddamn it I need to know how to do that!".

And secondly if I never heard Appetite, I probably wouldn't be into Metal now. I'd be listening to my soft rock like Queen and Pink Floyd, which I still love! :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Oeneus
    Appetite was a huge influence on me because it was the album that I listened to that really made me want to pick up a guitar.

Ever since I was very young I wanted to play guitar but never really got motivated. But when I heard Appetite, it was like "Goddamn it I need to know how to do that!".
    Thats precisely why I'm chosing Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" as my most influencial album. Songs like Cowboys from Hell, Cemetery Gates and Domination really made me want to get up off my arse and get playing. I used to always dream of playing Cemetery Gates in front of quite a large pub crowd. Don't ask me why, just listen to the song and make up your own mind.

• Advertisement

/Slowly taking steps backwards further away from mbroaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

*slowly realises he is in the Rock/Metal bit and not music/radio*

you could easily say that nevermind is the most influencial album of the last 10 years anyway , ever young rock band now gets into Nirvana before they move3 onto other stuff. After Nevermind id say either Rage Against The Machine Or The Stone Roses as the most influencial of the last 10 years.

Of all time
    "electric Ladyland"
    "SGT peppers"
    "Led Zep IV"
    Black Sabbath "Volume IV"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

led zeppelin 1.
    rubber soul.
    pronounced lynyrd skynyrd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Lynard Skynard? Is that a personal choice kali or do you think it had a vast effect ? (not a flame, im interested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 morticia

its really weird to see type o negative in a thread like this but interesting non the less and world coming down is excellent i especially like who will save the sane and everyone i love is dead... my most influential albums would be

-RATM aka the machine rages on

-electric ladyland

-surfa rosa pixies

-fitzcaraldo

-undertow-tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Shock horror....no Placebo Morticia???

Hang your head in shame:D

As for me...

Manics "Holy Bible"...the real sound of a man at the edge of sanity...

Vevet Underground "Velvet Underground & Nico"

And as much as it ticks me off...Doolittle by The Pixies...Sufer Rosa would be my favourite...but the plebs are very boring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 morticia

well deco you got me
    add to my list placebo- placebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Lynard Skynard? Is that a personal choice kali or do you think it had a vast effect ? (not a flame, im interested)

Well no, i wouldn't call it a "vast effect", but rather they defined the sound of southern blues/rock in america... and in doing so had imo the nearly the same effect on music as say led zeppelin did on this side of the water.

Course theres always the argument that skynyrd looked towards early zeppelin as their influence... but either way in a thread that has Tool as a major influence on music it'd be madness to overlook them :)

Neil Yong - After The Gold Rush

esp. Southern Man:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Personally, Brothers In Arms By Dire Straits. I also know of a fair few people who got set into playing guitar after hearing Knopfler playing guitar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by morticia

-surfa rosa pixies

....and the winner is ... YEP I have to go with the above!

It's certainly influnced me and as a recent CH4 doc I saw on the pixies showed it's influenced a lot of the 'big names' in music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ide have to say Led Zep IV, especially with stairway on it, i have to listen to that song at least twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Smiths were recently voted the most influential band of the last 20 years i think. It would have to be The Queen is Dead, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

/me smacks you all around the place

HAS to be Ænima by TOOL. it broke what ever mold was in place a few years ago for cd's

then there is the pixies doolittle amongst others :D

Hmmm....

Ænima by TOOL is a truely great album, but how influential is it?

Its not like it started a new trend...this mainly due to the fact that Tool where the only people gifted enough to carry out such a breathtaking piece of record making...

I would have to go with KoRn - "KoRn", just look at the nu-metal trend that it gave birth to....it sickens me to say it though.

And as well as that, Nirvana - "Nevermind" cause it made heavier music conspicious to a new (not nu:)) generation of kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ohgratuitous

i thinking probably grace by jeff buckley, obviously. other that that, maybe the joshua tree, pet sounds, ok computer.

Advertisement