Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NOMINATE Option (For Boards Awards / POTM)

• 01-09-2002 12:19pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

By Slut Monkey:
    What we need is a "nominate" button to nominate something for post of the month

Seems like an idea - Wether it's possible or not is up to you lot.
    It'd certainly be handy, and I feel the admins would appreciate this form of reminder a lot more than having myself or Dav bleating at them to update the page :D

Simply put, we could have a nominate thread / post that could be calculated and posted to Boards Awards by Q or something...

Gah, I don't know how it would work, but it's a dandy idea.
    Discuss.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why not add a "nominate" link on each post, like the "report this post to a mod" link? They don't have to be emailed or anything, the link could just go to a counter, and whoever's in charge can go in once a month, have a poke at it to see if there's been any vote rigging, jiggle with it till it's fixed, and then hit a button that updates the POTM page. That'll cut a lot of subjectivity out of it - the community will decide. Hell, I'll even write some of the code if necessary, it'd be a piece of widdle.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Why not add a "nominate" link on each post, like the "report this post to a mod" link? They don't have to be emailed or anything, the link could just go to a counter, and whoever's in charge can go in once a month, have a poke at it to see if there's been any vote rigging, jiggle with it till it's fixed, and then hit a button that updates the POTM page. That'll cut a lot of subjectivity out of it - the community will decide. Hell, I'll even write some of the code if necessary, it'd be a piece of widdle.

adam

class idea

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

These things are all well and good but we'd have to alter the page which shows the posts. Then every time a new version of VBB comes out we have to redo that hack. Now add that to all the other little hacks and you can see that it becomes unworkable every time theres an upgrade to fix something its a WHOLE lot of work for us.

All that said, I'm going to try and get the hacking board up and running soon so we can discuss how we are going to manage community code projects. Once VB3 is out and settled we're going to work on hacks of our own.

DeV.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Cheers for that DeV (Take It Thee Griffon - CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS cheers [He likes that word] etc)

I thought it may have caused a few hiccups, but at least the idea is out there. Looks like we'll have to retort to the "Me and Dav Ganging Up On Cloud / Dev / Regi for POTM Updates"... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[ I'm afraid I gotta play The Admin's Wrong again, sorry. There should really be a Gathering Card for that. :) ]

These things are all well and good but we'd have to alter the page which shows the posts. Then every time a new version of VBB comes out we have to redo that hack.

Nah, it doesn't need to be really tied to vB at all DeV. All you need to do is add "Nominate For POTM" to the post template (postbit?) and make the link point to a new script, say potm.php. The new script - which require()s the global vB include to check the user is a valid member, etc - will say summat like: "You've chosen to nominate post $n (snippet) as Post of the Month, are you sure you wish to continue?", style-of-fing. When they hit submit, it logs the postid and the userid into a new table. Then at the end of the month, an admin can go to a separate script for tallying and posting. The actual POTM page can be generated using the POTM itself, or the thread, or it can just point at it, or whatever. Plus, we can have runners-up, which will get us all more value, as we get to see a sum-up of the rockin' threads during the month.

Really, it'd be quite simple to implement, and the vB version would have very little bearing on it's operation, since I'd only be using the include to check for a valid user. All the other queries would be done indirectly using PEAR_DB. I could fire the counter together in a day or so, and I could write the management scripts while it's running for the month. That said, I think it might be better to leave launching it until /next/ month, as there's a chance vb3 might be out by then anyway. You know, to be sure to be sure, just in case they change the auth code dramatically.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I nominate adam to write the code for potm.php.

Advertisement