Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD player won't play MP3

Options
  • 01-09-2002 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

My DVD player claims it can play MP3 files so after I bought it I stuck in a CDR full of tracks that I had handy but the machine couldn't read the disk. Is it just a case of me being lied to or do the files have to be saved on the disk in a particular kind of way for the machine to read them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

mabe you need to burn them on a DVD-R?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

What's the make of the DVD Player? Some Sony models will only play CD-RWs (or DVD-R) but it's very unlikely this would be the case if it plays mp3s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Panasonic DVD RV-41

Also claims to play VCD and CDRWs but I can't get that working so far either! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i reckon you should get your money back!
    or try using different cd burning software... (esp if ur trying to make vcd's)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

That machine will play mp3s alright, not too sure about VCDs but if you say it says it i guess it must. CD-RW compatable too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

HAs to be high qualtiy CD RW used in .

Panasonics are picky about the type of disc you use.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Originally posted by Pigman
    Panasonic DVD RV-41

Also claims to play VCD and CDRWs but I can't get that working so far either! :(

hmmm... my Sony player also makes the same claim. It's only after looking around fterwards that I discovered that it will only play commercially available VCDs, and not the ones that you burn yourself.....

It's only after looking around fterwards that I discovered that it will only play commercially available VCDs, and not the ones that you burn yourself.....

Have you tried buring a vcd to a CD-RW? A lot of Sony systems won't read the home burned CD-Rs but will read the CD-RWs just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

My sony dvd player doesnt play CD-R's though i have been able to get it to. Ya kinda stick the disc in and press play until it reads it. the cd keeps jumping for a few min then it settles down and plays for 10min, then jumps for a sec and playes...... and so on.

I should try it with a CD-RW though. might work. The DVD player never said it would play CD-Rs so its luckey that i do get em working.

And DVD palyer will run VCD discs. I have a few and they run find. The DVD player was made to be compatable with the VCDs. I did make a CD-R into VCD but it didnt play as it was a CD-R :(

If anyone knows the best software for making CDs with please post a link. Im stuck with the HP crap cos the nero version i has doesnt work with 2k :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

DVD players that play MP3's are usually finicky about certain things such as;
    1. The quality of the disk used
    2. The folder structure. I think you can't have MP3's in the root directory, you must have folder names in the root, like David Gray - White Ladder for ex.
    3. You must have only MP3 files on the disk.

Are you OK on these 3??
    What does it say in the manual about MP3 playback??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Winters
    If anyone knows the best software for making CDs with please post a link. Im stuck with the HP crap cos the nero version i has doesnt work with 2k :(

(opening up a can of worms)

Nero is imho the best on the market. I've tried them all (and pretty much every version of them all over the past two years) - Fireburner, CDRWIN, CloneCD, WinOnCD, Discjuggler, Easy CD and all the odd ones. A few of the other pruducts have small advantages over Nero for specific things: Easy CD is stupid-proof, Discjuggler will copy any audio disc I've thrown at it, CloneCD will copy pretty much anything if you have a fully compatible burner (LiteOn & to a lesser extent Plextor), Fireburner has a tiny footprint.

I'm obviously referring to the full retail version of Nero, not that nasty bundled Express version. Updates are frequent, easy to get from their site, free and reliable. Buy it, get it whatever way you feel necessary. You won't be looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

stomp's recordnow max is a pretty decent package, you should be able to find a 30 day trial if you google around a bit.
    cdrwin is the daddy for making copies of cd's, definitely prefer it to clonecd

Advertisement