Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What a drag!

• 01-09-2002 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to setup Windows 98 to make it possible to drag and drop EXE files rather than just creating a shortcut at the point where you dropped it?

I know win2000 now treats dragging/dropping of EXE's just like any other type of file which leads me to believe it can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

can you not just highlight it and ctrl+x ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I do at present but a way to drag and drop would be even more welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Use right-click instead of left-click when dragging&dropping and select "Move here"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

hold alt while dragging thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just keep an eye on what you're moving and where. Best thing is to right-drag and select 'Copy Here'. Many EXE's won't work outside of their directories because they look for library and config files in the same directory or through relative directory addressing. If you're using one EXE a lot through the command line and are pissed off having to change to its directory every time you want to use it, stick a copy of it in c:\windows\system32 and then you should be able to use it from anywhere. Or stick the line
    SET PATH = "X:\path\to\my\exe"

in your autoexec.bat file (or maybe it's config.sys .....) and that will have the same effect.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement