Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIGMAC Virus - I learnt my lesson

• 01-09-2002 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Today i was chatting happily away on irc, i went afk for a few mins to have a shower. When i came back all my msn contacts were open in chat windows and on every one of them it was trying to send a file BIGMAC.exe.

Seemingly (even though it didnt show on my screen), it had sent the line "take a look at this its well funny".

Now im the kind of person who has a virus scanner but who rarely use it becuase it takes 2 hours or something to scan all my files. So phaxx goes to me ffs run the scan. Im doing that right now and it has already found over 40 infected files. I was like how the F*ck could i have got infected all i was doing for the past few days was chatting on irc and playing some games here and there. Well so far it has repaired 1 file, ill let ye know the details about the virus when its done.

So i learnt my lesson not to assume your system is virus free and run your virus checkers every few days.

Anyway g'luck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Right u can read about the virus here: http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99593

Ive deleted 39infected files however bigmac.exe still remains and ive tried numerouse file wiping programs but they all say its a locked file. Any idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

id better scan my system now so for this.

Do you think it came from IRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

it says there that it is transmitted over msn/kazaa.

saying that you use msn, its a good bet that it came from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Nah couldn't have come from IRC ... It would have to have been DCC'ed and you'd have recieved notification.

More than likely it was either an e-mail attachemnt you were sent or it was piggybacked on some P2P app or other form of freeware.

Keep a decent virus scanner and run Adaware from time to time to catch all the crap and spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I think it was kazza tbh i hadnt recieved anything over msn for ages and this only started happening recently.

It hides itself in comonly sought after 'cracks' and when you attempt to run them it infects you.

Ive deleted the file now and messaged every1 on my msn contact list.

I just thought i should let others know about this because kazza and msn are widely used programs and the likelyhood is there are allot of other infected people out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It hides itself in comonly sought after 'cracks' and when you attempt to run them it infects you.

Its placed.

Use DC ;p

kdja

Advertisement