Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats (split thread)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by Moni
    Sylvia Plath? ewwwww. I can't take her poetry. farr too depressing. and unnecessarily so.

:eek: I'll pretend I didn't hear that. Sylvia Plath's stuff, while depressing at times, is also utterly fabulous. "Mirror", "Edge", "Daddy", "Metaphors".... all great. [/obsessive SP fanaticism]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Firstly, I would like to state that I also dislike Plath.

Secondly, I should have known better than arguing for a country poet like Heaney. Or, indeed, Kavanagh, who has drowned in the debate.

"A Prayer For My Daughter" is good, but not as good as Joyce's much, much shorter "Ecce Puer", with the power which comes from brevity. The only lines I can remember are the last two:

"O father forsaken
    Forgive your son!"

which I think are some of the most powerful I've read. Thanks to the Lifelines book, there's also John Montague's "All Legendary Obstacles", Pat Kavanagh's "Fáinne Geal na Lae"-esque "Raglan Road", and Ray Carver's "Late Fragment", which reads

And did you get what you wanted
    from this life, even so?
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    To call myself beloved, to feel
    myself beloved on this earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I hate almost all so-called "literature". TBH, my best mate writes better poetry than Seamus 'bog addict' Heaney. I have so much sympathy with y'all still stuck with LC English. I went in this year knowing 1 poet (Eavan 'boring' Boland) and 3 poems by her. Thank the good dude, she came up and with a really vague question-write a personal response. Cue 4 pages of bullsh!t and a B1 in english overall. <
    possibly the definition of a miracle since I never got higher than C2 in senior cycle. Ya see, theres hope for you yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Seamus bog addict Heaney?!
    I AGREE! hahaha.

And stop with the anti-Sylvia Plath comments! god- i agree, Clare, she's amazing! (ok- a bit dark and disturbed- but its good stuff!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

I like Sylvia Plath. i don't seem to find her as depressing as everyone else. i don't really like heaney though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

leave us bog addicts alone

of course of course. sorry bout that.

i know this is an old thread and that it isn't exactly on topic, but its Oscar Wilde's birthday today. yay. I happen to think the man was a genious, but i know lots disagree. what do u guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I prefer Oscar the Grouch myself but then I'm the Sesame Street generation.

Seriously though, he was a good writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Seamus bog addict Heaney?!"

*Snickers* Well, he did grow up in a rural-type setting in the North... so it's natural for him to fall back on his childhood for inspiration, no?

Besides, Mid Term Break could've easily been about somebody in dublin - it was still crushingly emotional, the man is good.

"Seamus Heaney is evil. Let us not speak of him. He's on the 2004 LC course... *shudders violently*."

Ah... damn. I'm on that, aren't I? Rats.

Speaking of which, what am I doing here? *Proceeds to be chucked out by a group of CTYI'ers who look none-too-pleased*

((Random edit: We can't say sn!ggers?!? I can see the logic behind it... but still interesting nonetheless - I suppose snickers will have to do, as much as I loathe the word... the Mars company just ruined it.))

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NoelRock
    "Seamus bog addict Heaney?!"

*Snickers* Well, he did grow up in a rural-type setting in the North... so it's natural for him to fall back on his childhood for inspiration, no?

Truly great poets should overcome such obstacles, not relive them! :p

Oh, and Oscar Wilde rocks. As does Oscar the Grouch, also.

Most poets draw on their past or present conditions for inspiration, it's natural - and is generally a subconscious process. Unless you're just writing sparodic, senseless, illogical rubbish - like some of today's poetry.

:p Didn't Oscar Wilde show some of himself in 'the picture of dorian grey'...? Albeit, in a more subtle way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Oscar the Grouch irreversably tainted my childhood.

Most poets draw on their past or present conditions for inspiration, it's natural - and is generally a subconscious process. Unless you're just writing sparodic, senseless, illogical rubbish - like some of today's poetry.

:p Didn't Oscar Wilde show some of himself in 'the picture of dorian grey'...? Albeit, in a more subtle way...

Don't tell me you're trying to make a comparison between Oscar Wilde The Genius and Seamus Heaney The Bog Man? No! Stop that!

Hey, don't knock senseless, illogical rubbish. :p

Originally posted by claire h
    Don't tell me you're trying to make a comparison between Oscar Wilde The Genius and Seamus Heaney The Bog Man? No! Stop that!

Hey, don't knock senseless, illogical rubbish. :p

Oh my no! I'm simply showing that both characters have a common trait - I'd never compare them as writers. In my opinion, Wilde is clearly superior (Not to mention one of our first gay role models :))

In my opinion, Wilde is clearly superior

You are indeed an intelligent being. If I had a cookie I would give you one.

:) All brands are accepted - however the preferred variety has to be chocolate chip!

You deserve some sort of virtual... hug... thing just for being a nice person to talk with tonight :).

*makes note to self* Find somewhere to download virtual chocolate chip cookies. Also begin campaign to make the uneducated masses appreciate the genius of Oscar Wilde.

Yes, there doesn't appear to be many sites dedicated to the pure genius of Mr. Wilde and his literary work. A genuine shame, it is.

Hmm, I once made a friend scan a bag of his cookies for me... I wonder do I still have that photo, oh I'll find it tomorrow. :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Cinnamon for me....

(whoa, listen to Divine Comedy - Songs Of Love. Notice anything unusual?)

• Advertisement

yes, there are way too few sites dedicated to wilde. i think he's extremely under-appreciated. a protest must be organized. :p

Garog, Oscar the Grouch tainted your childhood? hehe- but he was so delightfully grumpy in such a lovable way!

well. I happen to love both oscars being discussed. although the latter did not have an amazing writing talent . . .

Advertisement