Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Roundabout Ad

Options
  • 01-09-2002 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Last night I saw an add from the DOE promoting proper driving on roundabouts, something which is sadly lacking in many drivers skill sets.

Hopefully it might hit home with a few people that doing things like signalling and looking at their mirrors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Hopefully it might hit home with a few people that doing things like signalling and looking at their mirrors.

replace 'people' with 'women'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by ando

replace 'people' with 'women'

Why?
    Would that improve things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Based on my observations if women made up over 50% of the population there would still have to be a decent proportion of men who don't consistently drive on roundabouts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Might at least teach a few idiots how to use their indicators on roubdabouts. The number of knob-ends who don't indicate left before leaving the roundabout, presumably on the basis that "I was going straight on, wht would I indicate left" is staggering. And then you have to add in the few who patently haven't discovered that their cars have any indicators at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sceptre
    Might at least teach a few idiots how to use their indicators on roubdabouts. The number of knob-ends who don't indicate left before leaving the roundabout, presumably on the basis that "I was going straight on, wht would I indicate left" is staggering. And then you have to add in the few who patently haven't discovered that their cars have any indicators at all.

Its the ones who indicate right, then left as they exit that piss me off, if you are one of them there's no need, just make sure you're in the correct lane when you enter!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Its the ones who indicate right, then left as they exit that piss me off, if you are one of them there's no need, just make sure you're in the correct lane when you enter!

Ever consult the "Rules 'o' The Road" on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

Yeah, sorry Mike, indicators are the most important bit of doing roundabouts. What lane a person is in, is no guarantee of anything. Plus in certain situations, you can go straight through in either lane. Now, if only people would now how to indicate, we'd be sorted.

What I find funny, is even though we have a driver testing system, we still have to try educate our drivers through tv. No wonder so many people are frickin dying :mad: Foreigners must roffle thenselves to sleep after seeing it.

(BTW, in case anyone's interested :rolleyes: the roundabout in the ad is the one at spawell)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What I find funny, is even though we have a driver testing system, we still have to try educate our drivers through tv. No wonder so many people are frickin dying

More people die each year through suicide in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

This should help
    I was wondering about mikes post :rolleyes:

http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov.au/Facts/older_users/chapter_3.html

Just to clear up what I said its ppl who are in the left lane as they appraoch the roundabout who indicate right than annoy me
    as if they are using the roundabout correctly they will turn off either first left or second left (ie straight on). The only time to indicate right is when in the right lane and intending to turn off
    at the right exit (the third one) or after that again.
    Going Straight Through

Approach in the left lane or right lane (if more than one lane)

(I would argue with this, if going straight through you should use left, otherwise a crash is possible with another vehicle in left lane which is also going straight on)

Do not indicate on the approach

If it is practicable, use your left indicator just prior to your chosen exit.

Right Hand Exit

Approach in the right lane only (if more than one lane)

Use your right indicator on the approach and leave it on until just before you are going to exit

Check the left lane is clear but stay in the right lane

If it is practicable, use your left indicator just prior to your chosen exit

Phew!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Going Straight Through

Approach in the left lane or right lane (if more than one lane)

(I would argue with this, if going straight through you should use left, otherwise a crash is possible with another vehicle in left lane which is also going straight on)

Do not indicate on the approach

If it is practicable, use your left indicator just prior to your chosen exit.

If there are two lanes entering the roundabout , there should be two lanes on exit, so you should be ok if you take the outside lane on exit..
    I take the outside lane on the Loughlinstown Roundabout (leaving Dublin) and enter the fast lane on the M11 (no dawdling, mind you!)

If I find myself on the left hand line entering the roundabout, I'll take the left side lane on exit....

Ah Dubs, they think all roundabouts are big fat multilane affairs, sadly most of the time its two lanes in out lane out. Hence the chance of a crash...

I noticed that page was from an Australian site, I did a google but could'nt find an Irish rules of the road url.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Ah Dubs,
    Mike.
    eh?

Oops my appologies, I did'nt spot your mod indicator, also I notice you mention leaving Dublin at the Loughlinstown roundabout (good man! ;) )

Mike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I hope they do some adds about proper positioning on motorways and dual-carriageways. It frives me f**king nuts tat no one knows the proper rules! The inside lane is not the "Fast Lane" like everyone thinks! It is the Overtakiong lane, and you shoudkl one be in it if you wan to go faster than the other trafic, and only be in it when overtaking. That means goign back into the outer lane afterwards.

They really need to make an add about that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

To right Zascar....I was getting on the start of the motorway near dundrum today, was in the overtaking lane waiting for a slow moving corsa to move....and i waited for a while, saw that see was looking at me in the mirror occasionaly, but she never moved in, i undertook her and she gave me a dirty look as i did, as if to say that i shouldnt be doing more than 50mph on a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i hate round abouts , i`m just glad coming off em without getting hit , i never know exactly when to drive on em or what , so i usually take the long way on back roads just to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

odsg! Where'd u get your license? Off the back of a Corn Flakes packet? :D

Seriously though, IMO it's nothing short of criminal to be driving around not knowing the rules of the road. It's not complicated, it doesn't take long to learn and it might just save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

ha , no i just tend to get nervous around lots of traffic , i should know by now , being on the road two years and all.i think if i get time i will giv a look at that rules of the road book , because the father do be getting onto me about dad driving.

Advertisement