Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports

Options
  • 01-09-2002 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

I@m going to canada in 4 weeks time and I don't ahve a passport yet :confused: How do i get one of these, how much does it cost and what do i need and how long does it take to process????

Thanks.

Donal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hardly a "Personal Issue"

You could have had the notion to ring the Passport Office (Molesworth Street) long before now.

Get a form from your Garda station. Follow instructions (quickly, quickly), get photos taken, get photos signed. Get special "help, I haven't sorted out my passport yet and I'm panicking" envelope at your post office. Make sure you put birth cert in package (long version if it's your first passport)* Post it. Fee is somewhere about 45 quid (about 57 euro then). Get it back within ten days. Then worry about whether you need a visa to visit Canada (which hopefully you don't)

Dammit, I'm unorganised - I leave too late, I arrive at airport checkins literally just before the plane starts taxiing down the runway (search for my Cork-Japan story) and even I'm organised to have a passport ordered long before leaving.

*I assume you may want to know where to get a birth cert. Ask your mother (different for every pokey place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need to get a form for a passport at a post office or guarda station. You will need two photos from one of those booths and a birth cert. You w ill need to get the form and photos signed and stamped at your local post office ( just go to the desk and ask to speak to the suty sarge). then you can take a day off and que in the passport office not fun or post it off to be done. it costs about € 60 the last I looked and takes about a week once you have powsted it so dont leave it too late,.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You don't need a visa to visit canada for less than 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Thanks guys, i better get a move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

It is possible to get a passport in 10 working days. I am on my second passport. As far as I know my first one took longer to get. But I know I had my second one in no time at all. All I had to do is get one from the cop station, fill it out, have a cop sign the back of 2 passport photos, and send it off. 10 working days later I was free to move around.

If you need anything extra (which I'm not certain about), I would check that out first. But you still have time to sort out a passport.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yup, it is.

Just to clear up the price here, I got mine a few weeks ago, it was €62.50, including the Passport Express charge.
    It took ten working days. If you're under 18 you must get the parental consent form too, it'll tell you about this on the instructions.

Make sure you send the *full* birth cert, the one with the location, parent's occupation and so on on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BTW- that is 10 working days- i.e. 2 weeks.
    Get your skates on pronto and get it into them
    Make 100% certain you fill out the application properly, as they will happily send it right back to you again, and are not prone to listening to sob stories.

S.

Advertisement