Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No GAA etc/No TV Licence?

• 02-09-2002 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

I believe that the only way to sort out the controversy relating to the non appearance of some terrestrial RTE programmes on satellite (i.e. GAA matches) is to refuse to pay the TV licence.
    After all, Sky Digital is designated as one of the three official methods of receiving RTE. Therefore the person who has no ordinary aerial or cable and gets Sky Digital to receive RTE should receive the complete package.

This is not the case and surely MUST be illegal as per the BCI original ruling that satellite transmission of RTE should mirror terrestrial transmission.

Any comments? Also ,who in RTE can this complaint be lodge with?

Finally, if NO ONE pays the TV licence they can't jail the whole country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by jez

Any comments? Also ,who in RTE can this complaint be lodge with?

Finally, if NO ONE pays the TV licence they can't jail the whole country.

Sorry to pour cold water on your idea but I can't see it happening in sufficient numbers for the authorities not be able to cope with the situation. You will not go to prision - just face big fines. Of course if you refuse to pay them....

It isn't worth it. A few people may end up out of pocket because of fines, meaning the Irish Govt will have more money!

Also, the ball really doesn't seem to be in RTE's court on this one. I'm surprised that the BBC can show it - maybe they have more clout than RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i was away from my digibox the last two weeknds
    can someone tell me if the gaa matches were actually on rte on sky digital??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Why, yes.

Both football semis on BBC 2 NI and Network 2, albeit yesterday on Network 2 only, the final 20 mins of second half of the game was only on, BBC 2 NI had it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I think there is a genuine issue here which RTE should have control over. As I said earlier satellite is one of three official methods of receiving their channels. Surely they should be held accountable if programmes are being banned from transmission at certain times. You are not getting the full content of what you pay your licence for. I believe someone using satellite as their only means of receiving RTE has a genuine case to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I noticed that the game was not on Network2 yesterday but note the comment above that they showed the last 20 minutes. Why would this be? I hardly imagine that the GAA dictated this.

Seems more like someone in RTE cocked up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tarabuses

Seems more like someone in RTE cocked up.

It would seem so if it was on for last 20 mins. Stupid eedjits at RTE! :rolleyes:

Advertisement