Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFT Flatpanels

• 02-09-2002 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is thinking of building a new system soon and he's interested in getting a TFT screen instead of a normal CRT.

He spends a fair bit of time infront of his PC between college work and work he does in web design and php scripting. He's willing to add a bit extra to the price of his PC but is waiting for a big contract web-job to come through so he's strapped for cash at the moment.

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of any really good value offers going now or coming up soon for TFT flatpanels???

All help greatly appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I recently was looking into TFT screens too. I couldnt find any for sale though normal channels for what I would consider an "acceptable" price.

I ended up buying a Planar 19" TFT from Ebay. RRP: over $1000, got it for $699+ shipping. It was sold as new, unopened and with 3 years warranty. The guy will even provide his reciept for warranty purposes.

Things to bear in mind when looking at TFTs:
    • If you want to look at DVDs or play games, you will need a TFT with a low response rate, ie 25MS and below average rate.
    • Something most people dont realise, TFTs are measure in actual viewing distance, CRTs are measured in total size. ie a 17.4 TFT is about the same viewable size as a 19" CRT.
    • Internet Prices are around the €550 mark for noname 17" TFTs, upto about €800 for a top end, brand name model. PC world charge €1000 for some crappy 17" model.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Oh, I know all the "Tech" stuff about TFT's.

I just amn't up to date with the best places to get them. I've already told him that he'll probably be better off buying a decent Flat CRT as he won't be able to stretch to decent TFT prices. Just asked on the off chance someone had spotted a great price.

Aww well, my answer is just Ebay then. Maybe tell him to get a cheap but decent CRT now and get a TFT himself later?

Matt

Just got the Weekly offer mail from Komplett:

Hansol H710
    17" LCD-monitor, 35 ms responsetime, 1280 x 1024
    EUR 610.00

Not bad...

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Hansol H710
    EUR 610.00

Anyone have any experience with these Hansol LCDs? Either the H710 or the H711? They seem considerably cheaper than anything else i have seen, just wondering if quality suffers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

So is there much difference between branded tft screens and non-branded.
    If you want to look at DVDs or play games, you will need a TFT with a low response rate, ie 25MS and below average rate.

Is there anything else to look out for. All info and links welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Originally posted by Matt Simis

Hansol H710
    EUR 610.00

Same question as "mbroaders":

Anyone had any experience with Hansol's LCD offerings? There's zero reviews about them (which is damn irritating!).

Hell... NM, I'll get two Belinea 101740 shipped in from Dabs. (Atleast I know Belinea make excellent LCD screens)

Advertisement