Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ambient Zone on Galway's Flirt FM

• 02-09-2002 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I tuned in this evening @ 17:10, for what was an hour of bliss. An Aphex Twin special hosted by none other than Cloud himself.

John, is it possible to get that Aphex Twin - "Selected Ambient Works" album anymore. That was some of the best music I've heard in a while, and I've found myself humming some of it since earlier on.

Also you say the tracks on the disks are identified simply by track number, as apposed to having a name. But the very last track that you played (with the American guy talking over it) appears to be called "Rhubarb". This I've just found out from http://www.sleepbot.com/ambience/page/afx.html

Also that very first track that you played, or were playing @ 17:10 was a classic. I didn't quite catch the name of it. I think it was your first track of the show.

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thanks phobos - here's the tracklisting, it featured a number of years ago on a US ambient music show, Hearts of Space:
      From APHEX TWIN ON; Sire Maxi Single 4/2-45482; 1994
      [*]On (Reload Mix, Edit) < 0:00->4:38 >

From SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 85-92; R & S AMDB 3922 CD--Belgium
        [*]Schottkey 7th Path (Edit) < 4:38->9:17 >
        [*]Tha < 9:17->13:23 >

From SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS VOLUME 2; Sire 9 45482-2; 1994
          [*]Disc 1, Track 5 < 13:23->16:46 >
          [*]Disc 1, Track 7 < 16:46->21:53 >
          [*]Disc 1, Track 10 < 21:53->29:01 >
          [*]Disc 2, Track 1 < 29:01->36:07 >
          [*]Disc 2, Track 4 (Edit) < 36:07->37:32 >
          [*]Disc 1, Track 9 < 37:32->47:08 >
          [*]Disc 2, Track 12 < 47:08->52:48 >
          [*]Disc 1, Track 3 (Edit) < 52:48->58:25 >

I think you can still get SAW1:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y1TL/qid=1032264476/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-6379444-7524827?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

At 5:10 I would have been playing Tha, from that album.

Yep, Rhubarb (the track with the Hearts of Space guy talking) would be a picture corresponding to that track I played; each track has a Trivial Pursuit-like symbol and picture on the inlay which is used sometimes to name the track...

BTW the show has moved to Thursdays at 10 PM.

John (in Prague).
          --

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I tried getting a few tunes off the Aphextwin albums, but they only had track numbers on the coveres, tried downloading the album off AG ages ago, but it was always copyrighted.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Dang OJ! No show tonight, back next week...

J.
          --

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

is there a webstream from the station?

I've no radio during the day, and the reception's crap out in Moycullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by SyxPak
          I've no radio during the day, and the reception's crap out in Moycullen.
          You could ring me, and I'll have it on in the background for you. It's a premium service I'm providing, so have your CC ready :p

//phobos just remembers: "I thought John moved to Dangan?"

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
        • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I asked John about internet streaming and the answer is no, pity.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Surely a student (*ahem*) could have a stream on his/her webpage without it ebing in contravention of HEAnet policy?
          Or why not on the radiosoc site itself?
          It's a student radio station, for the education of students etc :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Cloud
          Dang OJ! No show tonight, back next week...

J.
          --

That above post was a hint hint for you to offer me the album :p

Advertisement