Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.C.U.

Options
  • 02-09-2002 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting in DCU at the end of this month but was just wondering what the student facilities are like. is there a student bar or whatever like in Maynooth where there are gigs 'n' stuff? What i mean is there a good social scene at the college? Jus so i know what i've let myself in for!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

DCU has always been viewed as a very boring campus though it was expanded considerably over the past decade. There is a very large student bar and a brand new theatre called The Helix.

Despite being a bit of legoland - all the buildings are concrete and very square - it can't be too bad a place as both Donal Dineen and the late Uaneen Fitzsimons are both graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

has to be said its got a bit better recently, don't expect good gigs or social events tho... rather locate the craziest bastards in your course and hang out with them, or actively participate in societies, if you don't any college can become boring.

Just be glad you weren't there for the year the bar was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I worked there last year and the rag week passed without me knowing it was rag week ,in the college i was in before during rag week there was about 5 students in each class that bothered to turn up and there was loads of events planned, in DCU the rag week seemd like a normal week, it seemed very few events were ever organised and the student life seemed kinds crap, but i was only working there so i wouldn't know much about student life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ohhhhhh dear!!! Carlow IT doesn't seem too bad now....
    I usually am a magnet for crazy bastards so that might help....
    Sure i'll make my own fun...I perfected a paper aeroplane during 6th so i shall endeavour to improve my time there in a similar way. I'm a bit annoyed now coz i was hoping it would be more fun. I'm doin sports science and health so will need somethin to do which doesn't involve much effort!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

a ****ty bar that has employed many ass-holes in the past,
    but my best advice would be to go drinkin there as often as physically possible in the first 2 or 3 weeks and go to all the terrible events that are organised at which stage you should have established many of the people you'll be friends with when/if you finish the course. don't join a dozen clubs/societies cause you'd be doing well to stick to one during your first hectic year of drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

what course you doing?

my girlfriend is doing communications the last 2 yrs and has never liked it or the place at all... or so she says you never know? she has stuck it out this far

i probably shouldnt have accepted it so! damn im really miffed now! stupid conscience made me change option from limerick to DCU. I'm doin sports science and health hehe should be interestin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

DCU is a snooze fest, one of my best mates went there, whereas I moved to Maynooth .. I had a 6 year drunken orgy.. he got a degree in 4 and a decent job ... I guess its a matter of priorities ... I'm older and wiser now and I see the importance of working hard and getting good productive employment, so my advice would have to be GO TO FVCKIN MAYNOOTH!

If you are stuck with DCU make the best of it as per above suggestions .. if there is any posibility of moving into a house nearby or in town TAKE IT!

Enjoy yer college years before some big corporation drains your lifes blood!

I'm really seriously considering repeating now.....
    Stupid not having a social life has gone off long enuff for lil ole me
    I dont think i could take another 4 years.....
    :confused::(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

AMZ
    dont listen to them!!!
    do what u think youll prefer academically
    sports science is a fu course
    dont be listening/worrying about the social lifea college proides, at the end of the day you make yer own social life, if u wanna have fun in college, yer gona have fun and not sit around all day saying 'i cant have fun coz my college isnt as fun as maynooth' or somehting to the effect!

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right honey thanks!
    I'm just listenin to too many people and then panicin ...... meh! im sure twill be grand im just bored at the mo and cant see an immediate end to the boredom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SpiderFly

I went there and had a blast. The bar wasn’t great but I’d say go for the house parties, way cool. Just make sure you use your orientation week to the best you can. I did. Everyone else in the collage is in the same situation you will be in. Nobody knows anyone and there all dying to make friends just like you will be. So go and introduce yourself !!!! I was there studying computers but by the end of the first week I had meat people from about 7 other course, I did not actually meet anyone from my own course, I was invited out to so may drinking sessions and house parties I just couldn’t get to them all, but believe you I did try my best ;-).

So take my advice and meet as many people and groups you can in your first week when everyone is eager to make friends and before they all get stuck in there little groups and when ever your in the mood of going out you’ll be sure there is someone you know going to be going out too. I would try and meet people in other places than the bar, as people you meet in the bar your rarely keep in contact with unless you happen to see then in the bar again.

I am now out of collage about 5 years and planning to go skiing with a girl I sat down beside in the canteen the first day of collage and introduced myself too. I am also buying a house with another girl I meat in the first week of collage in the computer room trying to turn on the computer J and I off to a birthday party next week for the girl I sat next to in the fist ‘welcome to DCU’ lecture we had.

Go and have fun.
    Ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Originally posted by thedrowner
    AMZ
    dont listen to them!!!
    do what u think youll prefer academically
    sports science is a fu course
    dont be listening/worrying about the social lifea college proides, at the end of the day you make yer own social life, if u wanna have fun in college, yer gona have fun and not sit around all day saying 'i cant have fun coz my college isnt as fun as maynooth' or somehting to the effect!

AMZ drowner is 100% right .. I didnt mean to suggest you should make a very important descision which will change the course of yopur life based on which college has the best bar!

You make your own fun in this life .. being in a serious college doesnt mean you cant go crazy!

Oh and spidey .. if some girl you'd just met allowed you to 'meat' her in the computer room then maybe I got DCU all wrong!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SpiderFly

LOL, Sorry bout that,

:cool: Dyslexics rule KO.

Ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I used the gym in there once it was quite nice!

I did rock climbing and other various things that were fun.

Just be glad u are not goin to UCD-cause its all grey and smelly
    and im back on the 16th-nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

The whole making friends thing is weird because its kinda true that u make ur college friends on the first day or week.

o but im in UCD where most ppl are pompous pricks!!!!

Thanks Rapture_Queen! The gym is gonna make up a large portion of my course coz of the whole sports part of the sports science and health course that im doin!! Shudder!
    Its continuous assessment (thankfully not in English pleeze 'scuse the spellin') So i prob wont hav much time for heaps of drinkin etc.

Well if ya like gettin involved in clubs and societies etc

good for u.
    I love doin things like debatin,and some form of sport or somthing but i found it really hard to actually get myself to go to anything cause i didnt really like the ppl
    so i didnt

so my advice is go and do something if u want to make friends.

good luck
    :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Well the whole thing about joining things to make friends is that, in my experience societies are full of self important idiots who swan around like they own the place. Then again.... so is everybody else... what was my point again....???:confused: Oh yeh, down with college! Especially idiots who play guitar in the restaurant..eh rapture queen??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

i guess Im lucky.
    I get to go to Ballyfermot, such a wonderful place. As soon as you step off the bus, you hear that familiar welcoming cheer of...
    "ye ffffvckin' rockers!!!!"

:)

Eh Lamda-that makes it sound like i play guitar in the cantine

for the record i cant even play guitar.

so that wasnt me she was talkin about-it was certain ppl who she hates that i talk to and because she is bitter-she has just made me cry!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember who named u!

Im goin off to eat my shoe!

• Advertisement

Well missy you may have named me...but just remember that you are not a n official member of the rapture and can therefore not be our queen. You never had an official rapture head dress did you not???? I rest my case my dear.:p And you know youll be playing your bass there when you learn and i shall have to shun you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by BrianD

all the buildings are concrete and very square

yes, those are my least favorite kind of buildings!

DCU could best be described as an 'intellectual factory' and if 'having fun' is your main priority from going to college then you picked the wrong place.

So i've noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 evil_L

u passed up limerick for D.C.U.???? tut tut u poor thing. if u want craic in a college UL is the best place to find it. Nothing but students for a 2mile radius so every nite is a potential "i'm feeling bored so i think ill go down the pub and on the way i'll call into all my friends who live conveniently nearby and get them all to come with me and we can all walk down ther n drink al nite n then torment campus security mwahahahahaaa" kinda nite. Two of my friends left after 1st year and they said the craic down there was actually swaying their decisions to leave, even tho they hated the course!!!!! n the lecture seats r really comfortable there..... and D.C.U. is college to one of the most immature pathetic and clingy asses on the face of this planet who never deserved to have my friendship in the first place!!! (steer clear of 6foot pompus 3rd years...)

neways gud luck :)

Oh dear God!!!! What have I done!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cat

Don't worry az, it's all good, at least u dont hav to live there, so u can still hav a social life outside of d campus...... this assuming that ur not on campus ( which, sadly 2say means ur totally ****ed!)

Well anyone who knows me knows that i have a non existant social life! and hope to keep it that way! I dissapprove highly of the consumption of alcahol and my presence at the p(h)ub crawl was purely for research purposes only!

No wait that's my mother's version of me which exists in that alternate universe where i actually studied and got 1,000,000 points in my leaving cert and want to go to the most boring college in the country!

Sob! Sob! Sob!

What the hell am i gonna do! I could hijak all my friends goin to the SU in Maynooth!

Maybe i will repeat ....... i should have researched this shouldn't i?

oooorrrrr...... you could just start drinking during lectures. that should liven things up a bit.:p

The sad thing is ppl actually drink in lectures-scary!

And excuse me missy lamda Corizisan(i know i spelt that wrong)
    Who the hell made up rapture?
    ..................................o could it be.................me!

from that stupid book!

so dont go tellin me im not part of something that evolved from me

and there was some form of crown-except it was made from paper and was thrown in the bin!:(

• Advertisement

I got all my DCU literature today!

The bar seems ok €7 to become a member ....Hmmm

I bet the members of the *Strange Things" society will be honoured/delighted/frightened beyond belief when the person (i.e. me) whom their society is apparently dedicated to joins in September!

I'm a bit annoyed at one very obvious FAULT though! what in the hell is a freshers AFTERNOON? Christ i spent long enough studying (hehe s******!) without havin to wait till october 9th for freshers AFTERNOON!!! you'd think this place was all serious bout study and the whole academic aspect of college! instead of what college is really about! i say bring on a whole nudder 4 years of leavin everythin to the last minute!

I got on grand...........Didn't I?

Advertisement