Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Broadband in other countries

Options
  • 03-09-2002 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Interesting thread on sogamed.com, shouldn’t come as a shock but it’s sickening

http://www.sogamed.com/forums.php?forum_id=1&id=13356#308820

Here's a taste

Santiago, Chile - US$ 36,00 - 256k

Curitiba - Brazil - US$ 60,00 - 1Mb

Estonia - US$ 35 - 512/128

Check out the prices for Sweden and Germany :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I try not to read anything like that anymore as it just serves as a reminder as to what kind of a country I live in. Ireland is probably one of the worst countries in the "developed world" for the net and more than likely for many other aspects of life as well.

Sweden:
    2.5mb downstream
    0.75 up for $50~€50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Sweden:
    10 Mbit full duplex from BBB, $29.50!, $32.00 if u not live in HSB!
    I know a guy who has that.... bastard

Even countries like Israel are way cheaper than here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Okay I'm going to collect as many prices and details globally for the IOFFL site. The page will be here (I have to tidy it up still I know!)

Can we keep this thread going and lets try and get as many as we can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by matthiku
    Here is a price comparison: (afair, Eircom charges 99 Euro)

Operator . . . . . . . ADSL loop rental/month (Euros)

Belgacom . . . . . . . . 33.61
    BT . . . . . . . . . . . . 48.86
    Deutsche Telekom . 16.84 *
    France Telecom . . . 30.18
    Hong Kong Telecom 25.91
    Telefonica . . . . . . 55.17

Notes
    * reference offer only

Source: www.point-topic.com

Matthias

from another recent thread (also someone mentioned that telefonica offered 256k dsl for under €40)

ps, fix the tables in that html page so each row = one line?

ps, fix the tables in that html page so each row = one line?

Will do but I think geeklog is stopping the table tags from being used, thats why I've left so I can check it with Dahamsta.

Thanks for all the info .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

256 or 512 uncapped for €39 including VAT

Note that most of these international offerings are UNCAPPED products.

Eircom only has one uncapped product, (charged by the day if you calculate month/30) this is the i-stream multi at €179 a month (their site is down at the mo so you may correct me) + VAT

they have broken 2 if not 4 european records...following

These anyway.

1. Most expensive entry level product at €99 , istream solo
    2. Most expensive entry level uncapped product €179 istream multi

I suspect these records also belong to €ircon.

3. Most expensive basic installation charge in Europe €199 at least + the cost of waiting in for €ircon to show up.
    4. Lowest nominal population coverage for broadband (less than 25% ..under 1 million people.... can possibly get ADSL and thats assuming that every line will pass in those exchange areas)

Thats 4 European Records for crap service at inflated prices.

A triumph for the E-Tub or Europe......

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Fixed.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Thats 4 European Records for crap service at inflated prices.

A triumph for the E-Tub or Europe......

Yes but what do you expect? We're governed by crooked ignorant boggers who; 1) don't know 2) don't care

a bogger, as is tony o'reilly another bogger and that etain doyle wan, the regulator, .....BOGGER supreme!

i noted it years ago meself thanks pork!

M

I should just clarify that by bogger I dont mean someone from a rural background but someone like the beloved leader Ahern who embodies certain "qualities"

• Advertisement

sorry no hard facts - just letting off steam, expressing my own biased opinions

we are all rightly miffed that internet access here is so bad yet so expensive

but the root cause is that we allow a bunch of sweaty imbeciles like FF run the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Maybe this chart has been seen (publicised already)

....................No of..............%age run by
    Country........DSL lines......incumbent telco

Germany.......2,500,000.....100%
    France.............692,693......100%
    Spain...............600,000........80%
    Italy.................518,000........70%
    Belgium............362,000........84%
    Sweden............338,895........77%
    UK.....................290,000........60%
    Netherland........195,789......100%
    Austria...............128,000........84%
    Denmark............110,454......100%
    Finland..................85,000.......99%
    Portugal..................5,633.......92%
    Luxembourg............2,670.......89%
    Ireland.......................977......100%
    Greece................... .......0........... 0%

It shows the number of DSL lines installed by country in the EU, as reported by the European Competitive Telecoms Association for the end of June.

As you can see, Ireland has the second lowest no of DSL lines after Greece, which, er, doesn't have any at all yet.

You might expect Germany, France, UK etc to have more lines than us, given their larger populations. Have a look at Denmark (pop 5.35m), Finland (pop 5.18m). They have 11 times and 9 times more lines than us respectively and similarly sized populations.

To really make you sick, look at Luxembourg. It has a population of about half a million people, and three times as many lines as us.

Nor does the unbundled loop issue apply. The rightmost column shows the percentage of these lines that are operated by the incumbent national telco. All of Germany's DSL lines are operated by Deutsche Telekom. All of France's by France telecom and so on.

The only good news is that at least this issue seems to be moving up the national news agenda. The day after PBH's programme some guy from IBEC was on Morning Ireland complaining about the lack of broadband.

For too long the media, Dunphy in particular, were whinging about Eircom's share price, wondering about the poor widow woman who had splurged her pension on a stock market punt and what was Alfie going to do about it.

Now at last attention seems to be turning to the quality of services they provide. Not before time too.

PS Formatting that chart was a pain and it hasn't come out too well on the preview. Anybody know how to use VB tags to present tab or space delimited tables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Looking at all the facts and figures it seems telecoms companies in other countries are managing to turn a profit from reasonable priced broadband. Makes you wonder what Eircom strategy is?

Here’s more

Mexico
    adsl 256/128 = $49 us dollar
    adsl 516/256 = $80
    adsl 2mpbs/516 = $200
    cable 128 = $30
    cable 256 = $40

Portugal
    Cable 640/128 = 35 Euros month
    ADSL 512/128 = 38 Euros
    ADSL 768/128 = 68 Euros
    ADSL 1mbps/256 = 106 Euros

Originally posted by Muck
    Telefonica's offering
    256 or 512 uncapped for €39 including VAT
    The 512 offer is a bit more expensive than €39

Dangger, on your webpage it says that Ireland has 512/256. I thought Eircom's offer was 512/128... have they changed that recently, or is it a typo?

Fixed now. Thanks.

am I not correct in saying that all of Telefonicas products are uncapped ........

...I stand corrected on the €39 euro a month always on product, its only 256k if you say so.

M

Yes, Telefonica's service is completely uncapped... I signed up for their ADSL last September? and it cost 6.500 pesetas a month. I think the instalation + 4 port ethernet router + network card cost around 30.000 pts. I still use it when I'm in Spain and it works great...

Telefonica in Spain has a similar history to Eircom. They have had a monopoly for a lot of years, and kept refusing to have a flatrate offer... We had groups of people like IrelandOFFline organising blackouts and such... Spain's internet access was always pretty bad compared to that in the rest of the world, but Eircom is infinitely worse :(

So the point of my post is that... uhmm yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Example from Germany:
    Arcor offers an ISDN flatrate 64 of €24.95/month: http://www.privat.arcor.net/produkte/arcor_online/ao_preise_flatrate_isdn.shtml
    Minimum contract 3 months and in connection with transferring your ISDN line to Arcor at €19.95/month (but here you are bound to a 12 months minimum) but there is no connection/installation fee.

DSL 768 flatrate from €56.85 all incl. and DSL 1500 from €66.80 all incl. (i.e. ISDN): http://www.privat.arcor.net/produkte/arcor_online/ao_preise_flatrate_dsl.shtml

Basically, if you want DSL, you always have 3 different monthly fees:
    1. ISDN line rental: > €20 (your existing phone line)
    2. DSL line rental: > €8 (usually includes DSL modem and splitter)
    3. DSL flatrate: > €20
    Theoretically, each could be from a different provider. But often there are incentives to bundle them to one provider.
    Some companies however rely on a certain service provider; for instance AOL DSL flatrate (128/768, for €20, no caps, but may disconnect after 8h) relies on ISDN and DSL from the Deutsche Telekom (T-DSL) (http://www.tariftip.de/Tarife-flatrate.asp?ID=2706)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Originally posted by Hannibal_12
    Ireland is probably one of the worst countries in the "developed world" for the net and more than likely for many other aspects of life as well.

MDR is probably going to flame me, but I think you should be careful about calling Ireland part of the 'Developed World'.

I work here for a Canadian company and I am paid an addition to my salary because I don't live in a modern country. This particular bonus is only paid to employees in Ireland, India, and Malaysia. (India and Malaysia have DSL available).

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind living here and Ireland is a lovely country with friendly people - but anyone calling it 'developed' has learned marketing skills from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by Canadian

MDR is probably going to flame me, but I think you should be careful about calling Ireland part of the 'Developed World'.

I work here for a Canadian company and I am paid an addition to my salary because I don't live in a modern country. This particular bonus is only paid to employees in Ireland, India, and Malaysia. (India and Malaysia have DSL available).

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind living here and Ireland is a lovely country with friendly people - but anyone calling it 'developed' has learned marketing skills from Eircom.

Dont worry man I'm not going to flame you because I wholeheartedly agree with you hence the developed countries in quotation marks in my original post.
    Unlike you I have been resident here my whole life and know first hand why I do not class it as a developed country. I have suffered the hour long bus journeys to travel two miles, I believe we are now ranked with Calcutta for average journey times in Dublin. The complete lack of any transport infrastructure i.e Only city in Europe that has no rail link from its main airport but dont worry we'll have one in 2007.
    On a more positive note it seems to be improving and I think the national development plan will yield some results but its really going to be a matter of years before any noticeable improvement comes to fruition.
    Canada or America are most definitely two countries I would like to live in and most likely will within the next few years, circumstances permitting of course.

• Advertisement

You have hit on what should be the biggest concern for the current government - how to keep this countries kids from leaving.

People with big families and people over 30 generally don't move around too much. It's the young with the potential (and the ability to pay for the social welfare system in the next 40 years) that are at risk of leaving.

Most countries invest in children via education and expect a good return from them during their earning years because it will have to pay again when they reach old age.

If the recently educated, high potential earners leave, the country will be left with more takers than givers, and the standard of living will decline.

Canada has this problem with the USA (America charges high earners less tax and therefore Canada loses most of them). Ignoring the language issues of europe, Ireland, Greece and Portugal will lose these people too. In fact, the Irish have a real advantage because they already speak english, and therefore can easily relocate to a lot of very nice places..... not quite as easy for the greeks...

Roads are expensive. Trains are very expensive. Broadband should be easy.

Excellent point Canadian. I'm not planning on sticking around this place much longer to put my state sponsored Masters in Technical E-Commerce to use.

This government has been warned and warned about keeping knowledge workers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Are you leaving us Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some more prices listed in this thread for reference

Just found this

http://www.saix.net/ADSLletter.htm

might be of interest to whoever is compiling lists of international price comparisons etc

(I don't know what the Rand - euro rate is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

BTW. 1€ = R10 (approx.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

amusingly from that link:

"Guarantee: nothing"

under features of their ADSL service :)
    At least their being honest!

If mofu's right about the exchange rate it works out as around €68/month inc vat for 512k ADSL. I'd buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thread moved and old thread stuck.

Keep em coming.

You'll love this:

Cable 1.5 MB/s... 29 EUR/month*
    Cable 128kb/s ... 16 EUR/month*

*Before discounts offered depending on the cable package you get.

DSL 128kb/s ... 16 EUR/month
    DSL 1.5 MB/s ... 29 EUR/month
    DSL 3.0 MB/s ... 45 EUR/month

Unlimited Dialup ... 14.5 EUR/month***

When I left Canada in 2001, no one I knew used dialup anymore.... now even the most un-computer literate people I know have wireless LANs in their house and they keep sending me huge photos that take forever to download.... I always retort that I'm only 1 hour from Paris and 2 hours from Italy...

**FX rate at 1.55 CAD per EUR

***Almost forgot to mention that unlimited local phone calling (day/night/whenever) is about 15 EUR/month and for the Toronto area, there are about 4 MILLION people in the local calling area. This makes the total cost of unlimited dialup to be about 30 EUR per month but then you can use the phone as much as you want for voice calls too. (day and night)

And Levi Jeans go for about 38 EUR. And a nice family home in Toronto is about 150,000 EUR.

And all this from one of the least densely populated places on the planet.

I'm making myself homesick......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

I used to pay £25 a month for 512k always on, broadband through NTL. The installation cost £50.

{weeping} I've just ordered eircom i-stream

Advertisement