Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Broadband in other countries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Heavens help us. Is anyone from the government reading this thread? It seems to me that our economy is threatened by the shameful state we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Our fellow europeans in Iceland pay $40 per month for 512/256 adsl

just look at the numbers on the link...no translation needed

here

currency converter at here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

hey....

i just payed my final bill to eircom a few weeks ago... 185euros for 7 weeks dial up.....

here in finland (helsinki) i pay about 46euros for a cable modem access: ( welho )

"Welho 525 has the maximum speed of 525 kbps downstream and 200 kbps upstream" :D life is good.

as the previous post said, iceland is pretty cheap too.. ive friends there and all of them have asdl etc.. the leave their connections on 24/7

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Translated with Altavista, hope it's readable, anyway ADSL for 29.99 per month...sickening.

Fixed price ADSL: Free breaks the prices the ADSL is the hot file of the re-entry. The supplier of access Internet (FAI) Free strikes a great blow, by preceding the offers with differentiated flows, and thus less expensive, than its competitors for mid-October prepare. It breaks the prices and proposes a fixed price ADSL with 512 kpbs in reception, and 128 kpbs in emission, for 29,99 euros per month. All the existing offers until now remained confined in the neighbourhoods of the 45 euros per month. Only exception, Club Internet proposes since the re-entry a fixed price ADSL starting from 35 euros. But the Net surfer will pay this sum during the first six months of his subscription (one two years minimal duration), then will be invoiced with the "traditional tariff". Free thus goes further, and inserts the nail by providing free the modem and by taking responsibility for its the expenses of access to the service. Moreover, no duration of engagement is imposed. The FAI, subsidiary of the group Proxad/Iliad (Societe.com, 3617 Annu, etc), "wishes to make benefit its subscribers from the best qualité/prix report/ratio on access Internet high flow and will make evolve/move its tariff (...) with the fall as soon as the operational conditions and techniques allow it." The company can be allowed to propose such prices because it is the first to be profited, as an alternate operator, of the fall of the tariffs the large one set up by France Telecom within the framework of the deblocking.

See their site: http://adsl.free.fr /

fabien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

"Free breaks the prices the ADSL is the hot file of the re-entry. "

When the prices of ADSL around here "break free" it will certainly be the hot file of the re-entry for Eircom.

Hahaha though: best - translation - ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

$20 in BULGARIA !??!?

and 99% of that probably goes to bribe the local politicians.
    christ, can't believe ireland is worse than bulgaria!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

We are putting up a page on eircomtribunal.com which compares the internet pricing of different countries.

Anybody who has tried to do comparisons like these knows how treacherous it can be: How to compare like with like? Do it very exact and detailed and the info will quickly get too convoluted to make sense.

We've opted to publish the pricing in generalised terms, but still strive to give a correct overall picture.

We would like you to help us fill in missing information, correct inaccurate information and of course we are interested in suggestions and your opinion in general.

Check it out here.

Please mail your info and suggestions to info@eircomtribunal.com with a subject line "Internet pricing".

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hannibal_12 brought the following link to my attention where ADSL is offered for £12 a month, thats Cypriot Pounds now not the nearby ones. 640k uncapped as well from the look of it.

mmmmmmm and the weather is much better there too and the food and the gargle and the weather (dry-ish ISTR) means the provisioning ADSL is not a problem......unless the feck1n termites eat the poles along the road during a heatwave.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Canadian

Forgive me if this makes you feel bad, but Ireland is NOT a developed country. It is firmly in the SECOND world and compares with places like Greece, Poland and Brazil.

First world 'developed' countries are those of the G7+Australia, NZ, Nordic, Germanic and the Benelux countries.

As a matter of interest, are these statements an expression of your humble opinion or are they based on an objective measures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

From a press release:

"Significant observation: the accounts of permanent broadband connection, by cable or ADSL, went from 351,000 to 884,000, that is to say a progression record of 152% in one year. In terms of shares of market, broaband connections account for 11% of the total of opened accounts, "that's in the European average", specifies the AFA. "

11% European Average?? Not here anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Just ordered this week in Detroit, Michigan, USA..

ComCast cable:
    $31 install (within 5 days)
    $5/month for cable modem or buy your own.

$37/month for 80-channel cable TV
    + $39.95*/month for uncapped internet, 1500k down/128k up

(at present the Internet access is actually $19.95/month for the for the first six months)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

it is quite obvious the we are all whining the same song...

does anyone have any idea how to get the Eircom off of the fat backsides and pressurise them into doing something... or is this just the island life... big fish in a very small pond!!!!

The Duke

Originally posted by TheDuke

does anyone have any idea how to get the Eircom off of the fat backsides and pressurise them into doing something

The Duke

Targets the EU countries have agreed on: eEurope Targets 2001/2002:
    "Achieve significant reductions in Internet tariffs towards the lowest levels in the world by enforcing competition and clear benchmarking at European and national levels."
    "Cheaper faster Internet is one of the preconditions for Internet uptake."

If you want to help with the benchmarking, which our government and the ODTR are not doing, go through our price comparison section and help to fill the missing parts.

Regards

Peter

does anyone have any idea how to get the Eircom off of the fat backsides and pressurise them into doing something...

No. There is no way. Eircom is a private company that may do as it pleases. It's obliged to provide certain services in its role as incumbant, but thats about it. There is almost no way it can be forced to introduce a new product/service. The ODTR is there to regulate not to mandate new products/services. And unfortunately Ericom has such a strangehold on the market that competitors cannot create the business volumes necessary to cover expenses.

Its a pretty hopeless situation. The only way anything much can happen is if the politicians take control. They created the mess in the first place, by mis-managing Eircom and its predecessors for many years and then handing it to a bunch of quick buck merchants.And they are showing no signs of swallowing their pride and tackling the issue. None.

I genuinely think that telecoms in this country is a lost cause. And so are the industries which are based upon it. Its as well that we have the low tax based pharmaceuticals handing us billions of tax dollars, because there is almost no chance for the ICT industries in the medium term.

sorry if this is off topic but the question was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Slightly off topic, but does anybody have some web links that compares Ireland to other countries in matters such as cost/no. of lines or any other statistics?

I am doing a college report on the alleged broadband market in Ireland and am looking for some meaty statistics. I already have the quarterly report from the ODTR, (not too much there) and I have some stuff from the OECD (ironically, I searched the OECD website for 'Ireland broadband' and it returned nothing - say no more).

TIA,

TD.

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Slightly off topic, but does anybody have some web links that compares Ireland to other countries in matters such as cost/no. of lines or any other statistics?
    TD.

Tom,

There is some stuff on our Internet Price Comparison part of our website, which might be of help.
    Will you update us with whatever you are finding out?
    Do not hesitate to contact us about your specific questions.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I could let you have a comprehensive comparision of Ireland and Norway, I prepared about a month ago ... it should be exactily what you are after.

Its not finished yet, so I haven't release it, but if you PM your mail addy I will forward it on to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lookout

I think that it is intresting to read all the price comparisons that are available in other countries in Europe, but you don't have to look outside this country to find a cost effective, always on, high speed internet access provider.
    I heard of this cable company in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford that are providing Internet access via cable modems for €36.00 a month , no limits. And I believe that it is not limited to the southside of the town either !!!

www.cablesurf.com

I think the offering is 256K.... ( which is not bad.)

And just slightly off the point , their basic TV offering is about 40 channels and costs less that NTL.

So if a small town in Ireland can find scales of ecomomy that are equal to the vast markets of Germany , France, etc... What the hell is going on with eircom and Dublin !!!!!
    nuff said. I'm movin' south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

if they are a genuine actual product, make a new thread about them in the forum. Looking at their site I couldn't even find a mention of WHERE they are based or where the offer is available. Just the title of the page "Cablesurf, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford".

If they are genuine why are they only trading in this tiny part of ireland? Also couldn't find any technical details on the site (eg the figure you mention, 256Kb).

Anyone on boards ever hear of them before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by LoBo
    if they are a genuine actual product, make a new thread about them in the forum. Looking at their site I couldn't even find a mention of WHERE they are based or where the offer is available. Just the title of the page "Cablesurf, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford".

If they are genuine why are they only trading in this tiny part of ireland? Also couldn't find any technical details on the site (eg the figure you mention, 256Kb)
    Anyone on boards ever hear of them before?
    Yes. They have been going a while. They only operate in Dungarvan because that is the extent of their cable TV infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Just been informed that Holland's net access is 5c/min daytime and 1c/min evenings weekend on dialup. This is because they're trying to get everyone on DSL. Flat-Rate Dialup has been done away with recently.

Originally posted by Kennett
    Just been informed that Holland's net access is 5c/min daytime and 1c/min evenings weekend on dialup.

As in most countries in the Netherlands non subscription dial-up internet access, geared for the occasional user of email is available.

A typical offer would be one of KPN Netherlands:
    KPN offer a basic 'no subscription' Internet package through the PSTN via HetNet. This service provides connection to the Internet for the price of the local call charge alone.

Call set-up charge: 0.035
    Standard per minute: 0.028
    Reduced per minute: 0.015
    Economy per minute: 0.010

When comparing those prices with Ireland, we must not forget that - unlike here - ADSL is widely available at prices of around 30 euros a month. So even if flat rate dial-up got scrapped (where did you get that info?), nobody would end up paying more than 30 euros a month.

For example KPN?s ADSL:
    Mxstream Basis 128 - 512 Kbit/s: 27.95 euros/month
    Mxstream Extra 256 - 1024 Kbit/s: 33.95 euros/month

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    So even if flat rate dial-up got scrapped (where did you get that info?)

I got that info from the guy I was staying with. As I have mentioned before in another post, DSL has only been out around a year, but already they have seen modems of a speed of about 1536/384 and faster within that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Esse

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    Sweden:

I know a guy who has that.... bastard

Even countries like Israel are way cheaper than here :(

I also have 10 mbit :) its a shame that im moving to Cork soon.. well nice in all the other ways though

indeed Cork is one of the best places on the world... trust me, I moved her from mainland Europe.

I heard/read some place that the Minister for Communication is going to enforce a flat rate for internet charges. At least then we will only be 5 years behind ;-))

The Duke

I heard/read some place that the Minister for Communication is going to enforce a flat rate for internet charges.
    The Duke

Unfortunately you misheard/misread. What the minister actualy said was
    Originally uttered by The Minister
    Today, I am announcing that it is my intention to issue such a Policy Direction. I will be directing the Commission that the provision of flat-rate internet access or FRIACO is an absolute priority.

The Minister

Oh and about your other comment
    indeed Cork is one of the best places on the world...
    The Duke
    Whats with this "one of the best" ........ its DE BEST. Don't mind your one of......

Oh and welcome to Cork Esse and The Duke.

my humblest of apologies... :rolleyes:

Cork is the THE BEST PLACE in this world... what am I saying… Universe of course… :D

must stop now before I get kicked out of the thread for babbling... they are a little sensitive around here about that sort of thing.

Phillip :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

High speed and broadband prices in Norway

The prices quoted below are for monthly subscription and installation (Inst.), and includes 24% VAT, quoted in NOK, for residental customers. Customer equipment required by all providers is a network card, other equipment is included (splitter, modem etc). I found no provider offering xDSL that didn't use the incumbent operator Telenor's wholesale bitstream access offer.

Only xDSL is widely available (52% of households), but other options (such as cable internet, wireless and satellite) make high speed and broadband internet available to many of those who can't avail of xDSL. Narrowband, PSTN and ISDN, are available to almost all (Telenor policy is that when an ISDN line test fail, they fix what's needed until it doesn't fail).

Onto the prices:

The cheapest and dearest xDSL offer, by monthly subscription:
    BlueCom (384/128): NOK 395 (Inst. NOK 795)
    NextGenTel (4096/640): NOK 1,798 (Inst. NOK 698)

The cheapest (still the only1!) capped xDSL offer:
    Telenor (704/128): NOK 349 (Inst. 0, DIY) (1gb download limit)
    Exceed limit and downstream droppes to 64kbps. Additional 5gb for NOK 99 per month (unused additional download transferred to next month).

The cheapest and dearest cable internet offer:
    Telenor Avidi (512/128): NOK 347 (Inst. 395)
    Telenor Avidi (2048/256): NOK 1,047 (Inst. 395)

The cheapest and dearest wireless access offer:
    Broadband Wireless (512/512): NOK 390 (Inst. from 2,850)
    WAN (2048/2048): NOK 4,500 (Inst. NOK 3,500)

The cheapest and dearest ethernet network offer*:
    Smartcall (390/128): NOK 350 (Inst. NOK 795*)
    Smartcall (1120/384): NOK 795 (Inst. NOK 795*)

*: These networks are for housing co-operatives only, and they have a separate pre-installation for the estate itself. Then, a per household installation as indicated.

Hopefully useful for someone :)

/Thomas

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pepsiman
    High speed and broadband prices in Norway
    Hopefully useful for someone :)
    /Thomas

Thomas,

Very useful.
    We've included your excellent Norway data in the "more information" pop up of our price comparison map and hope that is ok with you. We've given the prices in euro though.

Peter

Advertisement