Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Broadband in other countries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 petercud

....and for a hispeed connection in Yantai, Shandong Province China...I think about 512 - 128KBit/sec ....€60 setup fee and then €6 a month.....I'm using it now ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Worked these out for another thread, so will post here. Details are for Telstra (incumbent operator) DSL. Quite similar to ireland in that there is fairly tight download caps, though prices are about half what we are being charged..

>
    Telstra's DSL has a variety of download caps and speeds to choose from: prices are as follows in €

300MB cap. 256/64 speed. €33.90 per month.
    1GB cap. 512/128 speed. €43.52 per month.
    3GB cap. 512/128 speed. €53.69 per month.
    5GB cap. 1500/256 speed. €127.21 per month.
    10GB cap. 1500/256 speed. €243.15 per month.

Eircom's cheapest offerring has a 3GB cap, 512 speed and costs €108 per month (those telstra prices include their sales tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Originally posted by Canadian
    You'll love this:

DSL 128kb/s ... 16 EUR/month
    I asked in a different thread a few weeks ago (when ESAT BT announced their €60/month 256k service) why ESAT couldn't offer this for €30-€40 a month, only to be laughed at - see it is possible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Thought the Internet access pricing of a Parisien Internet Cafe was worth publishing. They had a poster in English on one of their machines, to be seen here.

There are also a few other updates on the site, one being a download of our response to the Dep of Comm's call for views on their Internet policy strategy for the next years.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I thought before I left this country I should say thanks to IrelandOffline for all the good entertainment over the last couple years. It's certainly been interesting.

Before I came here I read on a Chorus page that I could shortly get broadband as long as I was line-of-sight to some transmitter on Three Rock Hill.

Well, two years later and I'm leaving Ireland... still connecting at 40 kb/s and being disconnected at random. Also, it looks like you guys are no closer to the first world.... I would even go so far to say that the first world is moving away from Ireland.

I'm off to Tokyo now where 8 MB/s cable access is available for 5000 YEN/month (about 40 EUR).

Memories of Ireland? Great Guinness. Ring of Kerry is lovely. Corrupt leadership who keeps its people drunk and stupid.

Good luck with your struggle-

Canucker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Corrupt leadership who keeps its people drunk and stupid.

and who will be first up against the wall come the revolution (we're having one as soon as we sober up :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Good Luck Canadian,

I wish you all the very best in the future, please take away for Ireland the impression, that the citizens are starting to stand up for themselves at last, and things are very slowily beginning to change for the better.

p.s. I still blame the people more than the politicans

Very useful.
    We've included your excellent Norway data in the "more information" pop up of our price comparison map and hope that is ok with you. We've given the prices in euro though.

I did a more comprehensive Ireland V Norway document (with the help of pepsiman), you can look it up in the IOFFL Press Pack (www.irelandoffline.org). Its might prove useful ...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

u know what really depresses me about this thread... all these guys and girls doing superb work in checking out coverage, cost, etc. for DSL... but why???? :confused:

It's like that child looking into though that bakery window... or that adolescent going for a stroll in Amsterdam’s red light district... who no matter how much he looks, he can't have any of it!!!! :mad:

I’m off now for a good long sulk.

The Duke : ))

Information is the key to this thing, of course I know the grass is greener elsewhere, I am the first to get pissed off with other people unconstructively pointing out greener grass.

But we need to draw comparisions between Ireland and other countries, to show the media, politicans, industry and the people, how far we are slipping behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by TheDuke
    It's like that child looking into though that bakery window... or that adolescent going for a stroll in Amsterdam’s red light district... who no matter how much he looks, he can't have any of it!!!! :mad:
    The fact that Ireland has poor internet access is known to everybody. The important thing is to find statistics that allow people to draw conclusions as to what has gone wrong. Of course you need accurate up-to-date statistics on prices and availability elsewhere but you also need to know about government and regulatory policy in these other countries. What are they doing right that we're doing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I'm going to Spain tomorrow where I have 256/128 ADSL (without a cap).
    They have a special offer where they'll upgrade to 512/128 for a month for free so that you can try it out.. I'll probably be doing that for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

So I suppose we will not be seeing you any more then :) Have a nice life... I remember the 80's when we left because there were no jobs... now it's worse... now we don't have DSL ;)

Happy gaming.

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I remember the 80's when we left because there were no jobs... now it's worse... now we don't have DSL

give it a year or two and lack of one will lead to lack of the other :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

In Lessigs Blog he states:
    NTT now offers 12 mbs for about $20/month. And 100 mbs (fiber) for $46/month. According to LowerMyBills.com, I can get 1.5 mbs for $50/month in San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

not sure if there is link for this page but here goes

http://www.kagan.com/cgi-bin/pkcat/bcs02_toc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Uruguay (umm yes trust me)

Down/Up/Price (US$)
    64/64/$35
    256/64/$45
    384/128/$50

no bandwidth caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

64/64? Like.. ISDN? Weird... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

in Sweden Bostream offer 0.5MB/s for only 28 euro a month. studying in Ireland i can't understand why broadband is not available here - it's a small country (both geographically and population wise) and should not be too hard to wire up. in lappland in the north of sweden 100 of miles from the nearest town i can get a connection for the same price as anywhere else. sweden is about 10 times the size geographically and 3 times the population and we have one of the cheapest prices in dsl and one of the highest % of people connected throughout europe.

reading through the IOFFL forums it seems that its just the laziness of eircom and their way of trying to milk as much out of the Irish public through high-dial up and, recently very high broadband charges. if this happened in sweden, the telecoms operator would be taken over by the state to put availibility of service before profits (like the way bus eireann is run providing remote services at a loss).

eircom being privatised was a big mistake i feel and if eircom was still semi-state we would all have the choice of broadband no matter whether we live in cork/dublin city or some remote little island off the coast (well maybe not but then that would be the fault of the politicians in this country who in some cases have other interests other than representing the people of this country).

pepsiman - Norway is actually quite expenisve for dsl if you convert norska kroner over to euro as it is in general, an expensive country to live in. a Norwegian friend of mine is on a 0.5MB/s connection for about 45 euro and that would be the cheapest for that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by naitkris
    pepsiman - Norway is actually quite expenisve for dsl if you convert norska kroner over to euro
    naitkris, have a look at this IrelandOffline document for comparison between Ireland and Norway (and it's all in euro ;) )

Bear in mind that Telenor (Norway's incumbent telco) have 3,000+ telephone exchanges in operation and it does cost money to upgrade and maintain them. Which in turn give higher prices... They have upgraded 350-400 of these exchanges to ADSL now, covering around 65% of all telephone lines. Any further exchanges will be upgraded if there's enough demand for it - much like BT does in the UK.

:)

/Thomas

• Advertisement

pepsiman - well pointed out about the high costs in maintenance, however how is it that my home country (Sweden) which is larger geographically than Norway can afford to roll out DSL to very remote areas for the same cost as anywhere else. Norway is so expensive, most Norwegians along the Swedish border and in Oslo actually drive over to Sweden to do all their shopping. a budget holiday to gran canaria for example is 3 times cheaper from Sweden then Norway that Norwegians drive over to the Swedish airports to avail of the cheaper prices.

what i am trying to say is that DSL and the connectivity of a country should be as high a priority as other vital infrastructure such as roads, that even if the cost is very high to deliver the service to certain areas it should be subsidised by the government. Norway is not as high-tech as Sweden or indeed Ireland in terms of multinational companies, the software industry and so on, for them oil and fishing are national priorities. Ireland should follow Sweden in terms of how DSL is set up there and take it very seriously if Ireland still wants to be seen as a good place for multinational companies to set up here, or as is the case, remain here.

With the risk of OT-ing too much:
    Originally posted by naitkris
    how is it that my home country (Sweden) which is larger geographically than Norway can afford to roll out DSL to very remote areas for the same cost as anywhere else
    A couple of points spring to mind:

- Sweden have 4 million more inhabitants than Norway. More people (21 per km2) than Norway (14 per km2) means more business, but not necessarily equally more expenses; thus cheaper end product.

- The Swedish government have established incentive programmes to speed up rollout of fibre, which is not the case in Norway, and in turn coupled this rollout to consumer and business products - such as ADSL.

:)

/Thomas

okej nu foerstar jag - du maste vara norsk, eller hur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Norway's not in the EU. The laws governing prices are different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Ireland's in the eu.... and.. :P

Originally posted by highlight
    Norway's not in the EU.
    Norway's in the EEA [1], which comprises the 15 EU countries and the 3 EFTA [2] countries (Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein).

Norway must, as an EEA member, transpose EU directives into Norwegian law just like Ireland. Although with the some exeptions, especially concerning natural resources.

/P

1: EEA = European Economic Area
    2: EFTA = European Free Trade Agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wizard_greece

Hi, I am from Greece and I am 19 y.o.
    Below, I provide you with a link to OTE's site so that you can see what the cost of a 56k, 64k isdn and 128k isdn is in my country. OTE is like Eircom or Telefonica. Monopoly is the keyword when it comes to a single word description of OTE..

http://www.otenet.gr/company/english/price.htm

Take into account that we do NOT have flat rate access, nor do we have DSL.. yet.. :rolleyes:

Since none of the ISP's in Greece and especially OTE don't wanna offer us dsl access (nevertheless their dsl network is ready!), we were inspired by your effort and we decided to design our site which will prolly be www.greeceoffline.org(we hope it goes live asap)

We aim in succeeding and we re not gonna fail.
    Keep up the good work guyz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by wizard_greece
    Since none of the ISP's in Greece and especially OTE don't wanna offer us dsl access (nevertheless their dsl network is ready!), we were inspired by your effort and we decided to design our site which will prolly be www.greeceoffline.org(we hope it goes live asap)
    it spreads

Seriously, though, its great that people in Greece are getting together to form a similar org. Say hello to Soula for us. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by wizard_greece
    We aim in succeeding and we re not gonna fail.

Hi,

wishing you success with your campaign.

If I may give you one piece of advice: push for affordable dsl rollout rather than flatrate dial-up access. The times have changed and dsl is where the Internet is happening now. From a technical point it makes much more sense to invest in broadband than in the narrowband detour.
    You should have plenty of campaign arguments form the stats available on the European Commission web sites, where unfortunately Greece always seems to be on last place.
    If you need any help, we are always there for you. Just email me at info@eircomtribunal.com.
    Is it really true that "our" Soula Evans is working in Greece now?

Peter

• Advertisement

Of course FRIACO is always handy to stimulate demand for BB ....

Advertisement