Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Broadband in other countries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Tripkipke,

Many thanks for that.

I can't wait!

I feel like I'm moving from the thrid world to the first world! ;-)

Dinarius:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

And I feel Like I moved from the 21st century to the stone ages :(

btw. to where in belgium are you moving? I'm belgian so if you have any questions just shoot :)

To Brussels.

Just off somewhere called Avenue Louise.

By the way.........is there an equivalent of Eircom in Belgium. i.e. A monoply telecoms provider? If so, what does its ADSL package cost?

Many thanks.

Dinarius.

..............finally.....!

Is Telenet a cable TV provider?

If we are getting cable TV, is there any advantage in getting cable modem from the same supplier?

Thanks again.

Dinarius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

Telenet isn't a cable TV provider, just internet, it uses the cable TV providers infrstructure though.

Belgacom is the biggest telecomprovider and almost all the DSL providers use their lines but there is hardly ant hassle, you apply and a in a short time you get your connection.

Belgacom has a daughter company that provides DSL, SKYNET

They aren't really cheap but you get:
    192 kb/s upstream
    3.3 Mb/s downstream
    50 MB webspace
    5 pop3 mailboxes with 5 aliasses each
    15 GB cap a month

for 45 euros a month (lease of the line not included)

check the pricelist here http://selfcare.belgacom.net/index.html?l=subscription:subscription:adsl

I'd suggest you go with adsl2fit, you get more bang for the buck and have no cap at all

Just for surfing and chatting telenet is far the best BUT if you are a heavy user its the worst, 10 GB cap and they block port 21,23,113,80 (outgoing traffic, so you can't run a server of any kind exept FTP on a high port) and lots more.

I recommend ADSL2fit :)

If you have any more question feel free to mail me: tripkipke@clan-dod.net

Kind regards,

Tripkipke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/31533.html

"However, lucky Canadians boast another reason for moving to the frozen North. Fido and Rogers AT&T both offer all-you-can eat for $50 a month. "

It's CHEAPER than FIARCO ! (and if you lived more than 4.5Km from the exchange there might not be a lot to choose in terms of speed)

Ok it's not BB by itself - but if combined with satellite download - it would still work out cheaper than most peoples current combined line rental + Mobile phone rental (80% of adults) + Internet charges ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Another one from Holland

Tiscali

click adsl, then abonnementen in left hand side menu and then scroll down on bottom half f page to see pricing/speed chart.

Products range from 384kbit/128bit at 25 euro a month to the 3072kbit\512kbit at 50 euro a month.
    All are capped at 20 gb/mnth with option to pay 18 euro per 30 gb for extra data traffic per month

This is available to a dutch friend who lives in the middle of nowhere in the north of holland in farmers country at least 50 miles away from the nearest big town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

After reading gurramok's post, I had to check the telepriser.no web site, run by the Norwegian Post and Telecommunication Authority (NPT, web site in English) - the Norwegian ComReg. Their website feature prices from the licencees and have to be standard prices and not special offers etc. (also excl. special offers with 12 mo. contracts, etc.)

According to them, the cheapest broadband in Norway at the moment are:

400 kbps down/128 kbps up:
    € 37 (NOK 299), €158 DIY inst. from Bluecom, dearer also available from four other suppliers.

704/128:
    €39 (NOK 318) per month, €122 inst., available from Tele2 (dearer from an additional nine suppliers)

Dearest ADSL is from company NextGenTel, with 4096/640 at €158 (NOK 1298), inst. €98.

Dearest SDSL is from company Catch Communication, offering 2mbit SDSL for €195 (NOK 1599) per month, €402 inst. (NextGenTel have 2312kbps SHDSL at €183, inst. €85).

As incumbent Telenor have 704/128 as they're "slowest" offer, it has become the - as they call it - the "People's choice" for broadband. The competitors (15 in total, and Telenor) try their best to beat eachother on price by lowering both price and download speed...

You don't need to have a telephone line (as in a regular telephone line, with a phone number), but can rent a line for DSL only for about €8 per month from most operators, saving you about €11 per month compared to regular telephone line rental.

(Only one operator, Telenor, have caps on broadband. They've four offers, with 1, 10 and 30 gb caps, and unlimited download).

/T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by gurramok
    Another one from Holland

Tiscali

click adsl, then abonnementen in left hand side menu and then scroll down on bottom half f page to see pricing/speed chart.

Products range from 384kbit/128bit at 25 euro a month to the 3072kbit\512kbit at 50 euro a month.
    All are capped at 20 gb/mnth with option to pay 18 euro per 30 gb for extra data traffic per month

Just to add: they have an "uncapped" (apparently you're allowed 50GB or so under Fair Usage Policy before they may ask you to slow down) 2000/256 service for EUR50 a month, its an older service that started out as 512/128, then became 768/128 and the on Oct 3rd it was upgraded to 2048/128. Doesn't seem to be advertised now though.

Always low pings (<11ms* to 1st router) and bandwidth always available (225KB/s downloads common, 26KB/s uploads do-able too). No PPPoX, it's Bridging and DHCP all the way (the MAC address being the user identifier, got a free USB modem and free conenction but am using a router configured to use the MAC address I was assigned).

If I were to do it again www.speedlinq.nl is the one I'd have gone for though!

/MK

* will check and edit/correct if I'm wrong ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You don't need to have a telephone line (as in a regular telephone line, with a phone number), but can rent a line for DSL only for about €8 per month from most operators, saving you about €11 per month compared to regular telephone line rental.

€8 pm - that is a nice comparison to Eircons line rental...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Julie Andrews

I've recently moved to the UK from Dublin and I don't think I could ever go back to living in Eircommie hell!

I've signed up with Virgin broadband which is £24.99 a month, activation was free, modem and splitters etc cost £24.99, speed 512/256, 10 MB of freespace and no download cap. The very best thing about this package is that there is no 12 monthly contract - just pay by month and stop whenever I want!

As somebody who was one of the original people kicked off IOLs "no limits" thingy - I can't believe that there's still trouble in getting a decent service. Ireland is going to hell in every way possible and there's more people than myself who have left the country because we are sick of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I'm from Sweden too, and this is what it's like there right now...

BredBandsbolaget 10Mbit bi-directional uncapped, 45 euros.
    link: http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=2

Bostream 26Mbit bi-directional uncapped, 45 euros.
    link: http://www.bostream.com/controller.php?action=private

Telia 10MBit bi-directional uncapped, 50 euros.
    link: http://www.telia.se/pw/privat/frame.do?mainFrame=/privat.do

There are many more options of getting broadband in Sweden.
    From first of January, you will be able to get 100Mbits bi-directional, capped at 300gig DL, for 90 euros a month.

On top of that, you can add the Swedish University Network (sunet). It just got upgraded and renamed, its now called gigasunet, and all universities are linked together with 2*2,5gigabit cables, with the main access to the Internet being KTH NOD in Stockholm, also 2*2,5 gigabits. Do a search on gigasunet in google and you'll find a pdf with the layout in english.
    Most student houses in Sweden are hooked up to Sunet with 10 or 100 Mbit connection.
    My sister currently has the 10MBit sunet connection, and it doesn't cost her anything.

When do you think we can post similar connections for Ireland? I'm guessing on 2010.

I miss home sometimes :)

Muffen,

Thanks for that.

Mind boggling, if depressing.

Bostream's 26Mb for €45 is unbelievable!

Just a thought...........shouldn't this thread also be at Science/Tech>Net/Comms>Broadband?

I wonder if there are people missing out on it because it's here.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

A few additions...

The 26Mbit service from Bostream covers 10% of the population (800 000 people).

50% of the population can get 2Mbits.

About 80% (probably closer to 90% now) of the population can get the standard 512/256 connection.

Only two connections that I know of (out of the probably 15 - 20 different ones being offered) have a cap. The 2Mbit from Telia has a 10gig DL cap (but the service is really cheap because of the cap), and the 100Mbit connection that will go live 1st January has a 300gig DL cap.

Furthermore, when you order ADSL, you put you phonenumber on their webpage, and after 2min you know if you can get it or now (definate answer). If you go ahead and order it, it arrives (normally) within 10 working days.
    Post och Telestyrelsen (Swedish Comreg) are trying to implement a rule so you can swap between providers without fees etc, and without downtime.

I've been in Ireland for a year and a half, and I think Irelands alright, but I don't think there's a chance I'm staying here after this summer. The weather, quality of roads and internet is getting to me now. Either I'm leaving Europe (to go to the states or Australia), or I'm moving back to Sweden. I've been out of Sweden for over 7 years, so I guess the time to move back is closing in.

Originally posted by muffen
    From first of January, you will be able to get 100Mbits bi-directional, capped at 300gig DL, for 90 euros a month.
    Loved this bit - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1254748#post1254748
    Originally posted by muffen The funny thing is, lots of people complain about the cap. Many people get the 10Mbit connection just because the 100Mbit one has a cap. I've seen usage stats of people transferring over 500gigs a month, constantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Not sure if this is somewhere back in the thread, but I just left Florida after six months with Cox's cable modem service .. upgraded to the 3Mb connection, $50 US/month, no download cap. Can't remember what the upload speeds were. However, just before I left I did notice there was some fine print about 'reasonable use' being 30 gb/month ... but I went over that consistently and never got a slap on the wrist or anything.

I now have netsource sme package .. 512/128 for 80/month .. whee ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Here in France Free.fr dropped their price to 30€ for their 2056 kbit/s up and 256 Kbit/s down. This includes free telephone rental.

When people are posting how much broadband costs in the country they are living in, would they mind including the cost of the line rental too?

In the light of the staggering increase in Eircom's line rental charge during the last year, adding the cost of line rental to the broadband charge is vital in order to assess the real cost of the package.

Many thanks.

D.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jack_christie

from NNT East Annual Report
    (Sept 2003):
    "First, in the broadband access market, NTT East endeavored to continue expanding and improving services and to further decrease rates. Specifically, in July the company began offering a new "FLET'S ADSL More II" service with maximum download speeds of up to approximately 24 Mbps as an addition to our existing FLET'S ADSL "More," "8M" and "1.5M" service menu options."

NTT East ADSL
    8Mbps ¥2,650 per month = 20.0852 EUR

NTT EAST Broadband Strategy (.pdf)

hard to make out all the options but it looks like:

100 Mbps - 7,500.00 JPY = 56.8578 EUR
    NTT ADSL price list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Holy jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yum yum.

It's interesting to see how the "OCN ADSL Set" package scales. Starts at 1mbps, skips 2,3 and 4 all the way to 12mbps, with the best "basic" package beign 26mbps!!

Gotta love price lists like that. Flash that at some of politico muppets, and watch them squirm.

Love to hear a McRedmond analysis of that and the istream pricelist:-)

JC

Jack,

Very interesting.

How much is line rental in Japan?

Thanks.

D.

From the table it says there are two types:

Type 1 - Prices when combined with phone usage - ¥ 168 (excluding tax) = 1.27 EUR

Type 2 - Prices for ADSL dedicated ¥ 1,429 (excluding tax) = 10.8 EUR

(click the orange details buttons and the then little detail link at the bottom of the pages for more stuff)

Not sure if the TOTAL column is the total monthly charge.

Even so the dedicated line 26Mbps ADSL is ¥ 5,699 (43.3 EUR) and the 100Mbps ( ¥7,280 - 55.4 EUR to ¥17,900 - 136.2 EUR)

More II (40M) Service Details
    (click ' Every month fixed amount charge')

currency convertor

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

in japan they have fiber optic 100M/s @ ~$80/month
    they also have dsl 24M/s @ ~$30 or $40, i cant remember which

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

DSL base connection and DSL Internet Access are separate items in Germany.

First, you need to get he DSL base connection (mostly from Telekom, which is @ € 16.99 for 1000MBit DSL per month), then you buy the DSL Internet Access from any respective ISP.

This newest offer from GMX @ € 0.00 has a 1GB cap per month with 1.2 cent per extra MB. And for just 3.99 per month you get the 2GB cap.

You can also combine this offer with other DSL base connections, like the T-DSL 3000 (Mbit), which of course has a higher base connection fee.

If you just start DSL and are to order the base connection via GMX, there is not even a setup fee and the DSL modem included. Saves you another € 99.

Wouldn't a split of DSL Base Connection and DSL Internet Access bring more flexibility in Ireland as well?

As they used to say thousands of years ago.
    caveat emptor, cui bono ?

So in Germany you can get DSL for an all inclusive cost for less than we get line rental.

There is nothing in it for Eircom - for example
    don't forget that when you change your line to a different provider - eircom still get 92% of the original line rental , and it would take over a year for the remaining 8% to cover ericom's one off transfer charge. - And then the other provider has to provide a service out of whatever is left over.. And eircom haven't lost a cent - in fact their cash flow has improved since they get the transfer payment up front.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Bulldog

For the same price as esats 512k connection you can get 8 times the speed with bulldog!! And compared with esats 2meg option, you get twice the speed for one quarter the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mrgahan

In holland it's getting mega cheap for adsl.

I have a 2mbit connection for €52 per month. Cheaper thingies are available like.€14 for 512kb

It was rather expensive here in the beginning ( 6 years ago ) but since then other companies have come in and made the market a lot cheaper but seeing that this is Ireland maybe in 45 years u should all have a decent connection.

Advertisement