Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Broadband in other countries

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UK DSL PRICES

256K - £19.99

512K - £24.99

1MB - £29.99

it makes me sick and I gota work with this **** every day :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Cabaal
    UK DSL PRICES

256K - £19.99

512K - £24.99

1MB - £29.99

it makes me sick and I gota work with this **** every day :-(
    £19.99 is €29.95 - almost exactly what UTV charge for a 512K connection. £24.99 is €37.45, just short of what eircom and ESAT charge for a 512k connection.

When you consider that our VAT is higher than there's it looks like we're doing reasonably well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Ripwave
    £19.99 is €29.95 - almost exactly what UTV charge for a 512K connection. £24.99 is €37.45, just short of what eircom and ESAT charge for a 512k connection.

When you consider that our VAT is higher than there's it looks like we're doing reasonably well.

The difference won't make more than about 1 euro at 30 euros. British 512kbps ADSL has twice the upload speed compared to Ireland (256kbps instead of 128kbps). Also, bear in mind that the above mentioned prices are not the lowest you can get in the UK, whereas the UTV offer is the lowest here. You won't find a better price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

In Italy Fastweb offers 10 Mbits, both upload and download, no limits for €40 per month. It also has cheaper offers...
    http://www.fastweb.it/principale.php?PAGEST=3_family.php&VSTR=NC
    I personally tried it in Bologna at a friend's house, unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I just signed up for Broadband from PCCW in Hong Kong. They are the old phone monopoly but offer 6MB DSL for about 22 EUR/Month. There are cheaper providers around, but I'm sticking with the big boys as they seem pretty consistant and offer English tech support.

One very-cool thing I'm using here is VoIP from www.vonage.ca which works all the way overseas in Hong Kong (and would even work in merry old ireland as well, if any of you have a North American Creditcard and address). It'll give you a north american phone number that rings anywhere in the world you're plugged in.

I get unlimited telephone calls to North America from anywhere I can plug into a broadband internet connection. (for about 30 EUR/month)

... AND, Long Distance (as seen from North America) is really cheap too. In fact, I can call anywhere in Ireland (from anywhere in the WORLD) for about 0.05 EUR/minute which is cheaper than I remember what Eircom charged me for National calls a couple of years ago when I lived in Dublin.

Has eircom rolled out Voice over IP Yet?? Or will that happen in 2037 for the low introductory price of $450 EUR/month if you line test passes?

How I pity you.

Canuck

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by Canadian
    I just signed up for Broadband from PCCW in Hong Kong. They are the old phone monopoly but offer 6MB DSL for about 22 EUR/Month. There are cheaper providers around, but I'm sticking with the big boys as they seem pretty consistant and offer English tech support.

One very-cool thing I'm using here is VoIP from www.vonage.ca which works all the way overseas in Hong Kong (and would even work in merry old ireland as well, if any of you have a North American Creditcard and address). It'll give you a north american phone number that rings anywhere in the world you're plugged in.

I get unlimited telephone calls to North America from anywhere I can plug into a broadband internet connection. (for about 30 EUR/month)

... AND, Long Distance (as seen from North America) is really cheap too. In fact, I can call anywhere in Ireland (from anywhere in the WORLD) for about 0.05 EUR/minute which is cheaper than I remember what Eircom charged me for National calls a couple of years ago when I lived in Dublin.

Has eircom rolled out Voice over IP Yet?? Or will that happen in 2037 for the low introductory price of $450 EUR/month if you line test passes?

How I pity you.

Canuck

Bah, Come back here, Ireland's great. Cheap affordable housing, inexpensive social life, rapid transit systems and to top it all, the mighty E-Hub and Dublin city spire both of which you can see from space.
    Keep your fancy 6 mb/s DSL, my blisteringly fast 512 kb/s "cheap" broadband is good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 johnhegarty

just though i would give an update on aol uk prices...

no install fee and free usb modem with all prices...all prices pounds stg

broadband silver £19.99
    256k / 256k
    no download limit
    no hubs / no routers (usb modem only)

broadband gold £24.99
    512k / 256k
    no download limit
    hubs / routers allowed (or supplied usb modem)

broadband Platinum £29.99
    1024k / 256k
    no download limit
    hubs / routers allowed (or supplied usb modem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonla501

Here is a list of all broadband suppliers in Sweden.
    As you can see there are many actors on the market, delivering different technologies.

Interesting to note is that many suppliers require only 1 or 3 months minimum contract, which means the consumer can switch supplier easily.

To help read the list:

Anslutningsavgift = connection fee
    Månadsavgift = monthly fee
    Hastighet = speed
    Inledande bindningstid = minimum contract term(months).

Oh, by the way 1 kr = 0,11 EUR

http://internetworld.idg.se/tjanster/bredband/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've merged jonla's post with this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Nice :) hope we catch up by mid century
    Originally posted by Canadian

We pay 0.05 EUR/minute to eircom for local calls during the day here. Whoop-de-doo :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Has anyone got an up to date table with all these prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alternatives

There are multiple bb products in ireland at better speeds and cheaper than the countries you have listed topline.
    Also no download allowance restrictions are listed and neither is the ratio for upstream ans downstream, so it is hard to compare like with like.
    Don't think this is really something to be beating your drum about. Access more the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I think this applies here:

oldposts.jpg

Dude, this thread is years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lol I found that rather funny
    if you look at the 1st page of this thread is really shows how much we have come on but still we got that last hurdle to cross 100% penetration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Very few places have, or will ever have 100% penetration, but if you get the majority turned on, then it'll be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Heh, it's always fun when you make a reply to a post to say "this situation may have been the case 2 or 3 years ago, but it's not now, so why are you speaking as if it still was? Down with that sort of thing!", then notice that the post you're talking about is actually 2 or 3 years old.

Well, not so much fun as dumb...

Advertisement