Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you remove a service?

• 03-09-2002 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I know you can stop windows services with NET STOP and NET START.

But how do you remove them from the list?

I have a couple of services in the list from programs that don't exist anymore. I have disabled but I want to clean up the list.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

The should be list under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Alternatively, on the resource kit cd (if you have a copy of it ) there should be a utility call srvinstw.exe (GUI prog) which should allow you to add/remove services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

If you go into services in control panel/admin tools
    you can set the service to manual.

Then it will only start when you manually activate it.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

afaik there is no services tool in control panel under windows 95/98.. the registry change is the best bet for 98, and will work under NT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mutor_CS

It's probably in the RunService registry key. Path is something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService. This allow apps to start before user logon.

This tool - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml - lets you turn on and off entries in your registry run/runservice keys, INIs and Startup folder.
    I'd advise you to use that instead of hacking the registry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

You can also add/remove services under X-Setup (a free tweaking app for all versions of Windows). If you don't wanna go registry hacking yourself, it's a nice front-end.

http://xteq.digitaldaze.com/products/xset/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Forgot to say you can also just disable a service so it's not run - handy if you want to just stop it, not remove it.

Advertisement